bitwig price $470 (360 euro)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
toph

Re: bitwig price biggest joke ever (360 euro)

Post by toph » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:49 am

Forge. wrote:you got Live back at the start didn't you? It didn't even have an arrange view at version 1.
Sorry, but that isn't true. Arrangement was there from the Start:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov10/a ... oducts.htm

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:20 am

nathannn wrote:also if they would price the software around $99.00 or lower (look at reaper) more people that would have cracked the thing would actually buy it.
They will most likely need to if they want to gain adopters...

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:25 am

HeadrickProductions wrote:If you look at the pics you can see that they have mini sampler labeled. That leads me to believe that there is a full sampler for sale. Maybe not.
or maybe they offer light versions of some instruments when you just need to say, play 1 kick sample out of it, and the full for full on mapping
like simpler/sampler ( i know sampler is only in suite, but i do also consider suite to be the "real" version while live alone is a light/se version

Tone Deft

Re: bitwig price $470 (360 euro)

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:04 am

I read somewhere that Bitwig will give you a hug and a handjob for everytime Bitwig crashes on you and Live 9 is delayed because of fist fights over what color scarf Gerhard will wear in the release announcement.

damn, you fuckers whine like nobody's business when Live 8 (with 7 solid versions prior to it) sucked and now you're welcoming Bitwig like it's the second coming of jesus fucking christ.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:08 am

Machinesworking wrote: We don't know the real price or whether they have a crossgrade price or not. Some website for a music store is not a solid indicator of any of that. to me even speculating about it based on a place holder at a single store is silly.
:
I'm not really basing it on what they have announced but on my thoughts of what I think they could have ready in time based on years of using this kind of software, often from v1. But whatever, this entire thread is purely academic

I was just pointing out that I think people are probably getting excited thinking this is the Live killer because they have announced all the big stuff that people wish Live had, but there will probably be a lot of little things that don't get a fanfare that we've got pretty used that might not be in yet.
Except his previous post was a complete piss take, so that one probably was too.
toph wrote:
Forge. wrote:you got Live back at the start didn't you? It didn't even have an arrange view at version 1.
okay maybe I'm thinking of an early beta or something - but the point was just that it was pretty sparse at the start and there was a lot it didn't do, hence the low intro price.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:39 am

Forge. wrote: I'm not really basing it on what they have announced but on my thoughts of what I think they could have ready in time based on years of using this kind of software, often from v1. But whatever, this entire thread is purely academic
Out of curiosity what other DAW have you used since V1? I used Performer when it was just Performer, and it's prices has been the same since then. I wouldn't say academic more like pure conjecture at best.
I was just pointing out that I think people are probably getting excited thinking this is the Live killer because they have announced all the big stuff that people wish Live had, but there will probably be a lot of little things that don't get a fanfare that we've got pretty used that might not be in yet.
Might is the key word here, and probably.
Except his previous post was a complete piss take, so that one probably was too.
Irony isn't your thing is it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

IMO there are two kinds of silly that goes on with this whole Bitwig thing:
People that are unjustifiably angry at Ableton for not implementing X feature who think BWS will solve world hunger,.
Then there's people that attack the single page info blurb and splash video like it tells them enough to write the whole thing off.

Might, probably etc. basically you don't know anything more than any of us about what it will end up like, but you're assured that it will disappoint you compared to Live.
I'm not so certain. I'm actually fine with Live the way it is, but I use it in conjunction with DP so that really is the main hard sell for me, I'm comfortable. I know one thing though, if they really found a bullet proof method to stop a VST from crashing a song you're working on I might have to learn to love the rest of the program. 8O Plus dual monitor support, which I get the impression is a taboo at Ableton HQ.

FWIW I don't work with video in Live, owning DP it would be a step backwards big time.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:50 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Forge. wrote: I'm not really basing it on what they have announced but on my thoughts of what I think they could have ready in time based on years of using this kind of software, often from v1. But whatever, this entire thread is purely academic
Out of curiosity what other DAW have you used since V1? I used Performer when it was just Performer, and it's prices has been the same since then. I wouldn't say academic more like pure conjecture at best.
Might is the key word here, and probably.
Irony isn't your thing is it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

IMO there are two kinds of silly that goes on with this whole Bitwig thing:
People that are unjustifiably angry at Ableton for not implementing X feature who think BWS will solve world hunger,.
Then there's people that attack the single page info blurb and splash video like it tells them enough to write the whole thing off.

Might, probably etc. basically you don't know anything more than any of us about what it will end up like, but you're assured that it will disappoint you compared to Live.
I'm not so certain. I'm actually fine with Live the way it is, but I use it in conjunction with DP so that really is the main hard sell for me, I'm comfortable. I know one thing though, if they really found a bullet proof method to stop a VST from crashing a song you're working on I might have to learn to love the rest of the program. 8O Plus dual monitor support, which I get the impression is a taboo at Ableton HQ.

FWIW I don't work with video in Live, owning DP it would be a step backwards big time.
shit, you love arguing, or you're taking this way too seriously. Of course I don't know anything more than anyone else.... it's not even in beta yet.... unless you want to believe those couple of posts... whatever....

The whole thread was... ok, conjecture, not even academic, whatever, semantics... same dif imo... at least that's what I meant

I am actually really looking forward to trying it out... I just felt like people are treating it like some kind of holy grail that will fix all their problems, I was just trying to point out that there will be a lot of things missing in v1... maybe Bitwig 3.0 will be infinitely better than Live 11, who knows?

FWIW - I used Logic before it did audio... then several others after that including live at 1.5... but if you want to say conjecture, fine - I'm happy to call it that.. It's just an internet discussion FFS

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:58 am

It's a standard marketing technique. Price high at first, sell as much as you can at that price and then start offering various "unmissable" special offers, cheap cross grades, etc - to make people feel like they are getting a real bargain.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

lethal_pizzle

Post by lethal_pizzle » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:37 pm

Not sure what the problem is with charging 300 notes for a professional piece of software. There's plenty of choice out there for those who'd prefer a budget option.

toph

Post by toph » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:23 pm

lethal_pizzle wrote:Not sure what the problem is with charging 300 notes for a professional piece of software. There's plenty of choice out there for those who'd prefer a budget option.
+1

There seems to be a lack of issues at the moment at the music software market, so people need to discuss two days on not confirmed prices and feature sets. But anyway it seems just to be preparation for the big complaining when official prices will be announced. - I can't believe what some people would expect as proper pricing, and mostly all comparisons to early Live versions as well as to Reaper are meaningless in the end as the developers decide about pricing. All potential users after that can decide if it's worth for them (and not the other way around)

EDIT:
Forge. wrote:
toph wrote:
okay maybe I'm thinking of an early beta or something - but the point was just that it was pretty sparse at the start and there was a lot it didn't do, hence the low intro price.
Ok, Live didn't do many things in v1 - but how does that relate to what Bitwig Studio will do in v1? Like many others mentioned, there is no complete feature set available yet, so that's all pure speculation as is the pricing.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:18 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
damn, you fuckers whine like nobody's business when Live 8 (with 7 solid versions prior to it) sucked and now you're welcoming Bitwig like it's the second coming of jesus fucking christ.
That's because Bitwig will have no flaws, and it will be all things to all men.
I can tell from the pictures.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:37 pm

crumhorn wrote:It's a standard marketing technique. Price high at first, sell as much as you can at that price and then start offering various "unmissable" special offers, cheap cross grades, etc - to make people feel like they are getting a real bargain.
That's what I'm thinking. Same thing that ableton has been doing since live 8 came out. Kinda like going to an electronic store where "everything's on sale." For some people that makes them feel that they are getting a good deal. The influence of marketing is so effective. Like taking candy from some big babies.

@tone deft

I hear where you coming from but since live 8 was the first version I paid for (used other people version of 6/7) you can understand some people frustrations since we have not see all the rock solid version that others have. Either way goin be interesting to see how all this pans out

I know that I'm not getting both bitwig and live 9 upgrade cause I've got to save up for a vintage rogers set
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:54 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
That's because Bitwig will have no flaws, and it will be all things to all men.
so sayeth the Book of Jpeg

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:46 pm

toph wrote: Ok, Live didn't do many things in v1 - but how does that relate to what Bitwig Studio will do in v1? Like many others mentioned, there is no complete feature set available yet, so that's all pure speculation as is the pricing.
No, of course, we don't know. This is just MY speculation - and I guess I've been emphasising the feature set a bit much when in reality I think the price of Logic is an even bigger deal.

Surely other DAWs will have to follow suit at some point.

But I just think between that, and it being v1 software, I just don't expect them to charge a fortune.

toph

Post by toph » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:27 am

Forge, I can follow your thoughts, but even if I'm not a developer myself I think developers have to charge prices that allow them to make a living out of what they do. And I guess, that it will be very hard to recover a developing period of three years for 4 - 8 deverlopers with a price as low as some people cry for.

Regarding to Logic: In the end it will get hard for the most of the music software companies to compete with Apples price politics of the last years. We all know that Apple can make Logic a bargain, because they profit from the fact, that one has to buy a Mac first to be able to use it.

Anyway time will tell and maybe we all should use our time to make music with what we have instead of speculating on things we don't know about yet.