confused on headroom

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
RoCi

confused on headroom

Post by RoCi » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:00 pm

how do you leave from -3db to -6db of headroom? do i pull down the master fader or what?

seventhirtyfour

Re: confused on headroom

Post by seventhirtyfour » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:17 pm

Yep. That's exactly right. Just pull down the master fader to -3 db...or -6db....or whatever db you want.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:42 pm

i prefer to use the utility device where i can lower the gain.

RoCi

Post by RoCi » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:28 pm

seventhirtyfour wrote:Yep. That's exactly right. Just pull down the master fader to -3 db...or -6db....or whatever db you want.
for mastering?

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:24 am

How about the god old selecting of all faders and pull those down..., to leave the master as it is ? :roll:
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

RoCi

Post by RoCi » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:59 am

simpli.cissimus wrote:How about the god old selecting of all faders and pull those down..., to leave the master as it is ? :roll:
i would but i have lots of volume automation. :roll:

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:21 pm

That's why you should use a utility for volume automation from the start.
That leaves you the faders free to adjust later on...
:roll: ... :mrgreen: ...

Now you have no choice then use a utility on the master.
Don't touch the fader...
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

redglass

Post by redglass » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:52 pm

a good one, as I wasn't consequent at the beginning with mixing in Live concerning handling level at the master.

Since a year I start a project pulling down the tracks faders to - 10 dB like some pros do with analog mixing.
As a result master track level is not that high and you can easily adjust tracks level in little steps with the fader later.
This gets difficult if you have to pull a tracks fader to eg -40 dblater. dB steps in higher minus-levels are way more difficult to handle, as the faders scaling works logarithmic.

k-toh

Post by k-toh » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:07 pm

I'd be tempted to make the room in the mix and leave the master for general comp/limiting/EQ tweaks when you're finishing off. You can still ease down volume automation as a whole on the individual track by selecting the automated bit and clicking 'expand automation' (I think, can't remember and not on my own PC at present) which then seperates the automation curve out of the clip. You can then select all and ease it down a bit without affecting anything else to do with the clip.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:26 pm

RoCi wrote:
simpli.cissimus wrote:How about the god old selecting of all faders and pull those down..., to leave the master as it is ? :roll:
If that is the case, just add a utility to the output of each track and use that as a volume offset rather than using it for volume automation OR add a group track to each track which gives you an extra channel strip controller for each track. the track is automated and the group is fixed. The good thing about this method is if you use a mixing console or even touchAble you have instant access to the automated and fixed volume controls for each track.

redglass

Post by redglass » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:06 pm

jestermgee wrote:
RoCi wrote:
If that is the case, just add a utility to the output of each track and use that as a volume offset rather than using it for volume automation OR add a group track to each track which gives you an extra channel strip controller for each track. the track is automated and the group is fixed. The good thing about this method is if you use a mixing console or even touchAble you have instant access to the automated and fixed volume controls for each track.
this is a good one 8)