Featured device -Mapulator- Curved Automation / Midi Mapper

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
BentoSan

Featured device -Mapulator- Curved Automation / Midi Mapper

Post by BentoSan » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Hey guys!

This device was featured on the Ableton Blog/Facebook/Twitter pages - big thanks to Ableton for the major cudos!

Mapulator is a midi mapping tool for Ableton Live - now you can create smart knob mappings that are totally unlike anything you can make in any other piece of music software around without some nutty midi translation or m4l.

"You're probably familiar with changing control values in real time in Live, as well as sequencing them with envelopes and automation editing. Mapulator, a new free Max for Live device from DJ Tech Tools contributor BentoSan, is a hybrid of these two methods. Set a custom control mapping (similar to an envelope), then scrub back-and-forth through it with Mapulator's "Smart" control knob. " - quoted from Ableton

You can set up to 8 parameters on a single instance of Mapulator (stack mapulator devices if you need more than just 8 and learn your knob to both instances. The parameters will then follow the curves as you turn the knob, Incredibly useful for stacking multiple effects on a knob to be triggered at different points ! Mapulator can also automate button presses, just go create a square graph that goes from 0 -> 1 instantly.

Mapulator is fantastic tool for Producers, Dj's and Live performers alike, you will never want to approach mapping knobs out to a controller the same way again, guaranteed.

Mapulator is availible free over on the DJTT blog - http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/02/16/m ... r-ableton/

If you have any questions or concerns dont hesitate to ask here or email me at bento@djtechtools.com

Happy mapulating!
Last edited by BentoSan on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Machinate

Re: Featured device - Mapulator by BentoSan - midi mapping tool

Post by Machinate » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:26 am

Nice! Is that ej.function ? Looking nice and compact.
Cheers
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:10 am

Machinate wrote:Nice! Is that ej.function ? Looking nice and compact.
Cheers
Its actually SA.function, getting the graphs to save in the live set it a bit of a pain in the ass because it doesnt support pattr currently - but it is possible as i have shown.

BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:36 pm

Mapulator version 1.02 is about to be released, so keep an eye on your mail box's!

The change log is as follows:
-V1.02 -

- General code clean up, lots of the patching work in the main patcher has now been put in sub patchers. -= this should make it easier to read my code !
- Fixed an issue that seems to be an issue inside of M4L which resets the background colour of a patch unless a background colour is forced upon load.
- Fixed an issue where parameter names were not saving with a live set.
- Fixed an issue with parameters would not set correctly when twisting a knob rapidly - only seems to affect some users probably on slower/overloaded systems.

-V1.01-

Fixed an issue that resulted for windows users not being able to see the input graph.

7 Chakras

Post by 7 Chakras » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:14 pm

First of all, big thanks to Ableton for the major cudos! The devie is looking compact and efficient.

BentoSan

Re: Featured device -Mapulator- Curved Automation / Midi Mapper

Post by BentoSan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:37 am

V1.02 is now available, going from early data this version looks to be very stable :)

This is a feature that doesn't really smack you in the face when looking at Mapulator so i would like to just gloss over how to to curved automation:
If you want to use Mapulator as a automation tool, automate the knob on Mapulator and draw a strait linear automation line for it as long as you want the automation for it to be:) Now all of the learnt parameters will follow the curves in Mapulator.

BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:07 am

Masssssive update in the works, stay tuned to this space :)

I am also taking feature requests - anything to do with modulation or mapping of any sort im completely all ears !

BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:39 am

Going to roll out another free upgrade to mapulator soon !
Implementing some value smoothing and "addition mappers" - fun stuff ahoy!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:56 pm

ideas:

* Have a mode where it functions as a normal sequencers - iow, the playhead in live takes over the knob.
* randomization?
* rotation? Making one envelope and having duplicates that are rotated around to start at a different point
* quantization?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:54 pm

another suggestion might be a "clear all" and cope/paste envelopes.

maybe a float window thats much larger for fine tuning envelopes.

prebentious

Post by prebentious » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:30 pm

Mapulator looks awesome!

If anyone has a specific need that the Mapulator doesn't cover at the moment, I made a similar device awhile back that might be the ticket. Check it out.
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=651

BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:56 am

prebentious wrote:Mapulator looks awesome!

If anyone has a specific need that the Mapulator doesn't cover at the moment, I made a similar device awhile back that might be the ticket. Check it out.
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=651
Ive seen your device and i thought it was great work :) Look forward to showing you what i have install for Mapulator in the future, i am only really scraping the surface at the moment with the current release.

BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:07 am

I have been receiving ton's of positive feedback on the device, even Moldover has taken up using Mapulator and is keen on hearing any further developments using the device.

Here is a taste of what people are saying about Mapulator:

Matt Moldover - Moldover.com - "This is great. I really like the layered interface."

S4racen - isotonikstudios.com - "Awesome work mate, you've really brung it! ... a master example of what can be acheived in M4L."

Peter Kirn - CreateDigitalMusic.com - "Not just a clever Max for Live hack"

Total Harmonic Control - "Its rapidly becoming a staple in my studio!"

Anshul Vishwakarma - "This is amazing. Exactly what I was looking for. I had always thought a non-linear MIDI control mapping tool would be a great addition to Ableton, and now we finally have it!"

Reynaldo Ochoa - "Its just amazing!! a great workaround to automation curves in live"

David De Garie-Lamanque - "You have just opened Pandora's Box for all Live Controllerists!!!! Thank you for this amazing device!"

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:40 pm

When i put Mapulator in a rack and save it, after reloading it Mapulator loses all it's learned parameters. The lines are visible but they don't control anything anymore. This makes Mapulator useless in effect racks.

I'm guessing that it only happens to me, what can cause this?

Also, using more than one Mapulator on an audio track makes the 2nd use it's settings when you reload the arrangement/set.

Please help

Live 8.3.2.
Max for live Max5_48561.
Tested on both win7 64 and osx 10.6.8.

BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:11 pm

The ability for mapulator to "survive" being racked is a feature that is not available in the free version of Mapulator, but will be coming with the premium version :)