How to create an "alias" midi clip?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mr D

How to create an "alias" midi clip?

Post by Mr D » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:46 pm

Not sure if "alias" is the right word, but what i mean is that if i create a midi clip and then copy it 99 times, if i make a change to that original midi clip, the other 99 copies (or aliases?) will also change.

Any ideas?

Many thanks! ........ Mr D.

Shesh

Re: How to create an "alias" midi clip?

Post by Shesh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:15 pm

FFS head to the Users' Help Exchange board.

Also, RTFM.

Edit: Just so I don't come across a total prick, no, I don't think you can do that with a clip. If you like the edit you just made then you need to duplicate the clip. Don't be lazy, all you're really doing is clicking a mouse and pushing some buttons. Hardly a strenuous activity.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:26 pm

Mr D wrote:Not sure if "alias" is the right word, but what i mean is that if i create a midi clip and then copy it 99 times, if i make a change to that original midi clip, the other 99 copies (or aliases?) will also change.

Any ideas?

Many thanks! ........ Mr D.
why copy it and not just loop it?

no clips don't alias in Live.

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks!

So looping is the only solution?

Mr D.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:27 pm

in arrangement view if you have a looping clip and drag the right hand side - so the length extends, all the subsequent repeats of the loop are aliases. I don't know what happens if you copy and paste... probably breaks the magic.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:29 pm

yeah, you'd need to CMD+J to consolidate into one long file, then cut it up (either cmd+E or just select then half-drag and let go before you move it to create a new region

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:44 pm

Shesh wrote:FFS head to the Users' Help Exchange board.

Also, RTFM.

Edit: Just so I don't come across a total prick, no, I don't think you can do that with a clip. If you like the edit you just made then you need to duplicate the clip. Don't be lazy, all you're really doing is clicking a mouse and pushing some buttons. Hardly a strenuous activity.
Oh you definitley come across as a total prick. The OP's question is more than reasonable for this particular forum. And the actual, non-prickish answers here are correct, there is no 'alias' function for clips in live. And once a looped segment gets cut-up in any fashion (split, copy+paste, whatever) each clip is its 'own' clip and any changes will not be reflected elsewhere.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Shesh

Post by Shesh » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:08 am

mholloway wrote: Oh you definitley come across as a total prick. The OP's question is more than reasonable for this particular forum. And the actual, non-prickish answers here are correct, there is no 'alias' function for clips in live. And once a looped segment gets cut-up in any fashion (split, copy+paste, whatever) each clip is its 'own' clip and any changes will not be reflected elsewhere.
If you need to ask questions then I see that as requiring assistance, or help, for which there is a dedicated sub-forum.

Questions that aren't specific to Ableton are better suited to this sub-forum, IMO.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:11 am

I've never understood why people get anal about forum sub sections and the like. This is exactly why I thought this forum used to be fine with just feature requests, support, tips and general for everything else. Even then some people used to get strangely anal about it.

But in my experience the more segmented the forum is, the more anal the users tend to be and consequently the more boring the forum is.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:24 am

but...then...you have....CHAOS!!

lol, +1

my bookmark is for the 'view new posts' link, i couldnt give a fuk what board section a topic is in, its all Live, and music, so w/e

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:37 am

simmerdown wrote:but...then...you have....CHAOS!!

lol, +1

my bookmark is for the 'view new posts' link, i couldnt give a fuk what board section a topic is in, its all Live, and music, so w/e
well exactly- that's why I've never cared about the sub-sections, I've always used that.

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks guys!

When i was using Logic 15 years ago, it had aliases, so maybe it's something the Ableton chaps could add, would be useful?!

Not trying to knock Ableton, it really blows my mind!

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:30 am

Get out of here! You'll complaining about the absence of spectral gates and evoc-20 clones next.

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:00 am

aaahhhhhh, takes me back!

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Yeah it's a really basic arrangement function that's present in every other daw in existence AFAIK. There have been many requests in the feature request forum for this over the years, but so far no luck. Let's hope Live 9 brings the goods :)