Where are Ableton's preset+rack folders kept on OSX?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jackrabbit

Where are Ableton's preset+rack folders kept on OSX?

Post by jackrabbit » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:32 am

Completed a fresh install of my whole HD and now putting things back to how they should be.

Anyone know where Ableton's preset+rack are folders kept on mac OSX? I have all the folders in tact on a back up drive ready to go back.
Once they are back in correct place, do I need to to anything in Live to let it know they are there?

Since the new instal I have changed the location of Ableton's sample folder, not sure if this makes a difference so mentioned it in case.

pepezabala

Re: Where are Ableton's preset+rack folders kept on OSX?

Post by pepezabala » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:53 am

check in preferences, fil/folder-tab. there you can find the current location of live's library. You can point live to the backup of your existing library and she will use this directory.

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:05 pm

THanks for reply.

I have successfully enabled the new location for the samples however I do not know where to put the preset folder i.e. the folder with presets for impulse, simpler, instruments racks, all effects like auto filter, scale effects racks etc.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:10 pm

it should all be in a folder called "library"

did you copy your old library? it should have all those preset
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:42 pm

Jekblad wrote:it should all be in a folder called "library"

did you copy your old library? it should have all those preset
Yes I copied the old library before wiping hard drive. I just dont know where to put it back to.

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:58 pm

You can actually put it where ever you prefer. I think by default it gets dropped in (username)/Library/Application Support/Ableton/.. I could be wrong on that.
I moved it to my Dropbox folder and in Live's preferences, pointed to it there. Now my Live library is shared and synced between laptop and MacPro!
MacPro / MacBookPro / Live 8
My art and music

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:01 pm

jasinski wrote: I moved it to my Dropbox folder and in Live's preferences, pointed to it there. Now my Live library is shared and synced between laptop and MacPro!
BOOOOOOOOOOOOM
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:37 pm

After fresh install I made a new location for library on external drive, put all the original preset folders in the ableton/library folder but when I fire live up and click on instrument rack, scale or any other ableton device there are no presets, no saved racks, nothing.

This is why I am asking weather there another location they should be.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:38 pm

I would not put the library onto an external drive. When this drive is not connected and you open Live, then Live will create a new empty library at the default-location. This might have happened in your case, not sure tough.

I just move to a new computer, have copied my library and everything works as it should. I have it in user/music/ableton/library and have another directory user/music/ableton/sets where i save my projects. this has been working for me now several years. I only do not understand why the library doesn't show the tension-cellos anymore, but you can find them by search. Weird stuff.

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:28 pm

pepezabala wrote:I would not put the library onto an external drive. When this drive is not connected and you open Live, then Live will create a new empty library at the default-location. This might have happened in your case, not sure tough.
Thanks for help pepezabala. Seems crazy to not be able to have ableton library on external drive, hoped to be a bit more organized and have all samples together. Technically i would only fire live up when my external is plugged in, which it hasnt been off that often in last 7 years but i am sure there are times where i fire it up by mistake.
Will put it all back in original place and see if things come back.