Sync Two Laptops with thunderbolt?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GsinG

Sync Two Laptops with thunderbolt?

Post by GsinG » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:00 am

Theoretically you could maybe sync three but there shouldn't be a second of lag as long set it up properly.

pepezabala

Re: Sync Two Laptops with thunderbolt?

Post by pepezabala » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:37 am

thunderbolt is totally useless. there is nothing more than a display or a harddisk that you can use it for currently. or am I wrong?

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:44 am

feels like it. stuff is creeping out slowly though. the new UAD audio interface has a thunderbolt option, and those Sonnet PCIe thunderbolt enclosures look good for adding gfx cards and PCI audio options to your macbooks etc, but it's all so cripplingly expensive that yea, pretty much useless to most.

rsagevik

Post by rsagevik » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:49 am

pepezabala wrote:thunderbolt is totally useless. there is nothing more than a display or a harddisk that you can use it for currently. or am I wrong?
yes and no
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/thunderbolt/

golemus

Post by golemus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:54 am

pepezabala wrote:thunderbolt is totally useless. there is nothing more than a display or a harddisk that you can use it for currently. or am I wrong?
There was a lot of thunderbolt devices on display in an exhibition recently (CES)...? So they are on their way definitely.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:15 pm

Thunderbolt is just an external pci-e bus - think of it like a docking connector on some laptops.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:50 pm

Khazul wrote:Thunderbolt is just an external pci-e bus - think of it like a docking connector on some laptops.
Yeah I suppose in a way it's a more protected version of eSata, which is hooking directly into your system. I don't know the details but it seems that a new "standard" would have some protection against things that can happen when using eSata like kernal panics if you undock the express card with eSata on it somehow. Dunno?

I do know that the fucking Thunderbolt cables are ridiculously expensive. Somebody else better start manufacturing them besides Apple. :evil:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:55 pm

Good article on Thunderbolt.
I don't see any use for it outside of displays and external mass storage devices.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/ ... ing-50.ars