Take notes from Bitwig

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Capitan Mission
Location: a llitle Brazilian beach, Buenos Aires or Patagonia Argentina

Re: Take notes from Bitwig

Post by Capitan Mission » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:16 pm

leipies wrote:
Capitan Mission wrote:
leipies wrote: • An aesthetically pleasing GUI
Its a Joke?
1- Ableton Live is the DAW with the nicest and more functional GUI, there's good taste in the design, and I love the minimal philosophy behind it.
2- Bitwig looks like Live, maybe some changes so it doesnt look like a complete rip-off

And, besides that, seriously, you expect Bitwig to have more features than Live 8? Yeah, maybe some unique things ,but in an overall view, I dont expect it to be more complete than Live 8.
And I bet you that Live 9 will be the best, hands down.
It's not a joke.

1.) There are many people not satisfied with the GUI(....) Aesthetics are important (imho) when creating music, and when you are uninspired by what you stare at for hours on end, it can have an overall negative effect.
There are many people satisfied also, you cant make all people happy. A lot of people, and users of others DAWs too, praise Live GUI. Of course that aesthetics are important, and Ableton people know that very well...
Live! exploring sound space, taking inspiration from everithing. folk abstract pop classical

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:22 pm

leipies wrote:
simmerdown wrote:thats why i extracted carls quote to that other thread, i was like WTF!

they just blew right by the only message from Ab there has been
That's because the message didn't say anything other than a roundabout way of telling us there is still no info about Live 9. What's so interesting about sharing that?

i guess you read it as you wanted to hear....

to me BW looks like frootyloops mixed with dora the explora...but, all taste...i love the Live gui

leipies

Post by leipies » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:30 am

simmerdown wrote:
i guess you read it as you wanted to hear....

to me BW looks like frootyloops mixed with dora the explora...but, all taste...i love the Live gui
Can you please explain anything I may have missed that we didn't already know?

leipies

Post by leipies » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:31 am

Capitan Mission wrote:
There are many people satisfied also, you cant make all people happy. A lot of people, and users of others DAWs too, praise Live GUI. Of course that aesthetics are important, and Ableton people know that very well...
I realize many people like the simple GUI as well, that's why I said before they should implement a choice to switch between the simple one and a more traditional one. That would satisfy most users.

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:57 am

i think the gui style is ok - but the size isn't!

everything ok for laptoppers, but in a studio with big screen behind a keyboard and a mixer it's a nightmare.
when i edit a synth i edit a synth! no reason that this synth i'm workin on doesn't fill the sceen!
same with the browser: miles of mouse-riding instead of a full screen selection box!
there's no need to see markers or the master fader when loading a reverb!

please: make the parts big where the focus is!

maybe a simple key command that opens the part of live where the mouse cursor is above on a second monitor in big size. in the full size view of i.e. operator all envelopes could be shown at the same time. lot's of possibilities!

vader

Post by vader » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:08 am

shadx312 wrote:Bitwig wins what?

Before speaking on behalf of what everyone will do, I'm betting plenty of people will have enough patience to hold out for 9.
Between probably having a trial and good introductory price, it's not going to hurt trying or using BW while waiting for Live. Then there are reviews which people can get informed about as well. And then there are people who couldn't care less about BW.

Let Ableton do what they're doing, I doubt it won't be worth it after all this time and silence. Talk is cheap. Why would it be in their interest to not keep happy customers?

Is it difficult to conceive that this doesn't have to be about win/lose? Things fluctuate. Let Bitwig have it's limelight and make a few bucks, then daddy can come back with some more tricks up his sleeves.
This is good for all of us.
Not everyone is as rich as you and can afford multiple platforms. Once these users are gone, they'll likely be gone. That's where Bitwig could win (some user conversion).

There have been rumors of Live 9 for 13 months. That's a long time with no word. Live 8 has been out since April 2009. It's 2012. Who knows if they'll release something this year. That would make it potentially 2013. Who waits FOUR years for a software update (I guess us tools)? Someone needs to communicate with the community. Spending THREE years doing bugfixes is just not good PR.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:27 am

vader wrote: Not everyone is as rich as you and can afford multiple platforms. Once these users are gone, they'll likely be gone. That's where Bitwig could win (some user conversion).

There have been rumors of Live 9 for 13 months. That's a long time with no word. Live 8 has been out since April 2009. It's 2012. Who knows if they'll release something this year. That would make it potentially 2013. Who waits FOUR years for a software update (I guess us tools)? Someone needs to communicate with the community. Spending THREE years doing bugfixes is just not good PR.
I have to agree with this, Ableton are lucky in a way that 8 packed in features and Bitwig wasn't out then. It only took three years of no activity for Opcode Studio Vision to go from being pretty much by everyones standards the most advanced DAW on the market to obsolete. Granted this was 11 years ago and DAWs were packing in features like mad at that point (multi timberal instruments, freeze, et.) in, but reality is 3 years is a long time to wait for an announcement. I'm hoping they put out something monumental, but i have to say they have a pretty impressive feature set in Bitwig 1.0 to go up against.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Not everyone is as rich as you and can afford multiple platforms. Once these users are gone, they'll likely be gone. That's where Bitwig could win (some user conversion).
Like I said, you can test the trial. If you're going to convert, sell Live; you'll probly get some money back anyway. Who cares where users go? Live & Bitwig will have each have their own specialties and I'm sure there's tons of Live users who rely on those to stay locked in, just as some will find BWS more suitable. If BWS does stuff like dummy clips, Clyphx and custom remote scripts, maybe that's something to worry about.
ImageImage

vader

Post by vader » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:56 pm

shadx312 wrote:
Like I said, you can test the trial. If you're going to convert, sell Live; you'll probly get some money back anyway. Who cares where users go? Live & Bitwig will have each have their own specialties and I'm sure there's tons of Live users who rely on those to stay locked in, just as some will find BWS more suitable. If BWS does stuff like dummy clips, Clyphx and custom remote scripts, maybe that's something to worry about.
I wholeheartedly agree with you.

But user conversion is where the decline of a platform starts. We're all huge fans of Live or we wouldn't be here. We've also invested a huge amount of time to learn it. So to me, having a strong stable community is paramount in making sure that the platform maintains innovation and not see decline into obsolescence. That would just be bad for all of us.

Like you said, competition is good for all of us. I definitely agree. But the PR wars are completely one-sided right now and I'm hoping for at least a small correction by Ableton to repair its PR.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:08 pm

vader wrote:
But the PR wars are completely one-sided right now
have you heard something from bitwig, im on the mailing list even and i havent heard shyt

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:02 pm

I understand your point, vader; I just don't think there's anything to worry about.

I haven't heard anything either, Simmer, though beta-testing might have started a few weeks ago and the testers have to keep it on the DL /shrug.

Would be fun to test but I'm pretty settled and have partial faith that 9 will be the bees knees.
ImageImage