how to trigger impulse bass drum from real bass drum?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
sjkuessel

how to trigger impulse bass drum from real bass drum?

Post by sjkuessel » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:02 pm

I've got some audio tracks recorded but don't like the way the bass drum came out. Anybody know a way I can use the bass drum track to trigger a bass drum from impulse instead? Is there a way to side chain them? Or anybody got some other ideas?

yur2die4

Re: how to trigger impulse bass drum from real bass drum?

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:10 pm

There is a free vst that triggers midi notes based on the frequency of a sound. Don't remember where to find it.

Or if you're feeling wild, you can look into how to make a groove template out of the track (assuming that specific drum sample is cropped nicely and separate from all the other drum channels (otherwise some drastic EQijg might be in order).

For creating a new Groove, there are a few vids on YouTube that demonstrate it. Grooves are basically just midi notes plopped down in a pattern at different velocities :)

sjkuessel

Post by sjkuessel » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:48 pm

I will search for that vst

DSPI

Post by DSPI » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:53 pm

Try this piezo mic idea... I want to use it for the same thing, just haven't got round to it yet!

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176731

8)

sjkuessel

Post by sjkuessel » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:35 am

That midi trigger is awesome. I wish I had one. I know midi triggers exist. I was hoping to find a way to turn bass drum audio that has allready been recorded into midi. If I had a midi trigger I would re-record the drums.

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:58 am

there is a vst called aptrigga that can do this. but its not free

http://www.apulsoft.ch/aptrigga/

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:24 am

The link to the other thread contains a workaround and a link to the car kttrigger or something like that. Try learning how to use that vst. It should be helpful :)

DSPI

Post by DSPI » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:11 pm

I downloaded the KT Drum Trigger and used a simple audio input from a piezo mic to trigger midi and, apart from latency issues (my Lexicon Alpha doesn't really cut it!), it works a treat!

Once I've got the latency down to a reasonable level, and I've spent some time fiddling with and sussing out the software, I'm going to try it using kick, or possibly snare, as the audio input to trigger extra drum/percussion samples (or whatever we fancy) in my band.

I'll post the results, if anyone's interested?