Live 9 will be for OSX only!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GeoSuPhat

Re: Live 9 will be for OSX only!

Post by GeoSuPhat » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:55 pm

Sad but true, it shall commence with Apples announced next weekly feline name based operating system update OSX-YouPussy.

cpyatak

Post by cpyatak » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:36 pm

As much as I would love to be able to afford a MacBookPro, it's not in the cards for me, and won't be for at least a year... and even then, it will be a major purchase and mean some very tight months before and after I do. I am working on a PC Laptop that allows me to use Ableton even if I can't always get the performance I'd like to have, but that's better than not making music at all (or going back to using Reason as a standalone music production platform). I will be very disappointed if this is true... even if I do get it together to take the plunge and sink $1800-2800 into a laptop. Many artists I know are in the same boat as me, many of them more talented than I am. This would be a bad move on Ableton's part.

Just curious... does ANYONE use DigitalPerformer anymore? None that I know of. I wonder why that is...

Should I start a Kickstarter campaign to get my friends to buy me a MacBookPro?

:)

Chris

GeoSuPhat

Post by GeoSuPhat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:18 pm

No its ok, he's just joking....... probably. :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:33 pm

cpyatak wrote: Just curious... does ANYONE use DigitalPerformer anymore? None that I know of. I wonder why that is...
I do. A couple reasons for that maybe:

It took them a long time to code it for OSX and Logic was at that time considered the only choice for OSX.
Apple branding made reestablishing position on their platform hard.DP is strange, it's pretty cool once you get into it, but it's as different in many ways to other traditional DAWs as Live is to traditional DAWs. DP is old school and certain "normal" conventions have never made it into the program- It's not MIDI object oriented, MIDI is seen as one long pattern in a sequence. It's not that real time oriented. it has no 'absolute' snap to grid, meaning it does't allow you to instantly quantize midi noted to the grid, they're always going to be lengthened or shortened by their relative position to the grid. It has no 'bounce all tracks to disc' function and the Freeze function is real time.

Despite all this it's a great companion to Live, because Live has all those features, but DP has all the ones Live is missing: Multiple automation mixes, automation curves, various automation types, multiple sequences in the same open project, SysEx, Event and Score editors, automation reassigning, better IMO quantizing, screensets, multiple monitor support, advanced video support, better mixer UI than all the rest IMO, comping, multiple takes etc. I like Logic and Cubase etc. but IMO for a companion to Live, DP is far superior because the main feature that rips the competition to pieces is it's capabilities in the mixing phase of writing, which personally I think is Lives weak point. Plus Chunks are similar enough to Scenes that you can use them to remix a Live project in much the same way which can't be said for Cubase or Logic etc. IMO it would be great if someone would keep a 'feature' list for all the DAWs on a website, a wiki type thing that allows people to see the differences.

mouss3

Post by mouss3 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:06 am

The original poster is goofin'. It would be suicidal for Ableton to drop Windows users anyways. HOWEVER, for my sins, i love Windows and have no desire whatsoever to switch to a Mac of any kind, so if Ableton were to drop the Windows OS, i would have no hesitation in moving over to Bitwig Studio. I dont want to as i love Ableton, but if it wasnt available anymore, then i would have no choice.

analogcabin

Post by analogcabin » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:55 am

mouss3 wrote:.......if Ableton were to drop the Windows OS, i would have no hesitation in moving over to Bitwig Studio. I dont want to as i love Ableton, but if it wasnt available anymore, then i would have no choice.
This is your first post? Already jumping ship?

Mac with Ableton vs. "BitWig (beta) and Windows..... Ha

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:13 am

Q: could it possibly be more obvious the thread is a joke?

A: no

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:55 am

[bait]

success!

[/bait]
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

cmcpress

Post by cmcpress » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:57 am

skatr2 wrote:Mac Pro they're considering dropping. That behemoth aluminum desktop monster they sell that nobody can justify spending the money on.
^^This. It's part of the rot that's setting at Apple as they change from being a manufacturer of reliable hardware to a consumer electronics company.

Look at what they did with Final Cut X - completely decimated their prosumer film editing market and pissed off their entire pro user base by releasing an update with no pro functionality (cf Walter Murch). But meh, FCX probably made them more money.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:45 pm

Tarekith wrote:[bait]

success!

[/bait]
Ableton - ban him for being a troll - a day in the sin bin! ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:09 am

Mac is no longer for todays DAW. It's obviously old fasioned
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=172825

Digital Performer version 8 made its debut in Anaheim, CA last week at NAMM 2012. The big news? Available this spring, DP8 will ship for both Mac OS X and Windows 7,.....
http://www.motu.com/newsitems/digital-p ... es-windows

Mac runs sampler 1/5 worse than that of Win.
No one want low performance OS anymore troll fanboy...
Just abandon the ancient garbage OSX.

[/bait]

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:58 pm

The thing is, I don't think Tarekith is kidding on this thread.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:27 pm

GeoSuPhat wrote:No its ok, he's just joking....... probably. :)
That move to Logic only being for Mac didn't work out too well. It's not like there's a shortage of DAW software theses days.

Mage2k

Post by Mage2k » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:46 pm

Khazul wrote:
Tarekith wrote:[bait]

success!

[/bait]
Ableton - ban him for being a troll - a day in the sin bin! ;)
Didn't that actually happen a few months back or was that with somebody else?