don't worry, dubstep is now officially dead

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nathannn

Re: don't worry, dubstep is now officially dead

Post by nathannn » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:45 am

icedsushi wrote:The strange/funny/ironic thing is almost all the hype I've heard about dubstep being the super hot thing right now has pretty much been isolated to and come from this forum. Either it's a small niche of electronic music fans & producers that perceive it as something larger than it really has become to a wider audience, or I'm just out of touch. :wink:

In my exposure to lots of different music from friends...hearing plenty of current stuff on both independent internet radio & in my everyday travels in cities to some places that tend to play trendy music over the sound systems, going to clubs, etc, I'd say very little of what I hear currently is dubstep or influenced by dubstep.

I hear much more talk & hype about dubstep than the music itself! :)
consider yourself lucky then. within the last year its been every where around here.
go out for a beer, oh look some ass in a mowhawk playing dubstep, go to the mall for shoe's, hey some ass is handing out flyers for warehouse show where they will be playing none other than dubstep, play an accoustic show then go to get something to eat, oh goody the waiter is knowledgeable on dubstep, want to hang out with your younger sister?, yay she wants to go to see some butt play dubstep.
a new song comes out you like, one day later remixed with dubstep.
and then you go online, dubstep dubstep dubstep fucking dubstep.
it has to end soon though, this bubble is so fucking huge that its going to scoop up a needle factory and pop itself.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:03 am

im just going to rant some more here,

there is no way this many people can possibly like this trendy shit. this is all hype, when thinking of other types of generas to compare it to i think of: hair metal, boy bands, rap metal, krunk rap, emo, mili vanili (they are their own category) and vanilla ice (im sorry i had to mention him and you now have his image in your head but it had to be done to prove a point).

this is not the type of music that you say "well if you dont like it you must be too old" this is the type of music you dont like because you actually like music.

if i was going to compare dubstep to clothing it would be fila, cross colors, the shit shirts you would blow on and they would change colors, and steve urkell t shirts.

if i was to compare dubstep to movies it would be, glee, save the last dance, spice world and all the movies from the last decade (2000's) glorifying the being in military.

if i was to compare dubstep to a diet it would be atkins.

if i was to compare dubstep to a drink it would be crystal clear pepsi and surge.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:35 am

YEAH YOU GUYS!

I LIKED DUBSTEP BEFORE IT WAS COOL BUT NOW EVERYBODY LIKES IT AND NOW MY TASTE IS NO LONGER ORIGINAL!

jsn

Post by jsn » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:02 am

She looked very much Alive to me. Although the music definitely didn't do it for me. Nice vid.

Well now what should one expect the end result to be when even the morning cereal box now tells you how to make a "wobble bass" in x instrument. :mrgreen:
Live Suite 9.5 (32-bit), MFL 6.1.3 (416a295), Win7HP

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:23 am

One of the most hilarious thing i've ever seen ! thanks !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:33 am

good - it's too difficult to mix

Breaks Dude

Post by Breaks Dude » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:43 pm

nathannn wrote:im just going to rant some more here,

there is no way this many people can possibly like this trendy shit. this is all hype, when thinking of other types of generas to compare it to i think of: hair metal, boy bands, rap metal, krunk rap, emo, mili vanili (they are their own category) and vanilla ice (im sorry i had to mention him and you now have his image in your head but it had to be done to prove a point).

this is not the type of music that you say "well if you dont like it you must be too old" this is the type of music you dont like because you actually like music.

if i was going to compare dubstep to clothing it would be fila, cross colors, the shit shirts you would blow on and they would change colors, and steve urkell t shirts.

if i was to compare dubstep to movies it would be, glee, save the last dance, spice world and all the movies from the last decade (2000's) glorifying the being in military.

if i was to compare dubstep to a diet it would be atkins.

if i was to compare dubstep to a drink it would be crystal clear pepsi and surge.

^^^ This.

Dubstep is the popped collar of music.

Anyone want to take bets on when its own fans will start turning on it?

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:52 pm

simmerdown wrote:
illphill wrote:dubstep has been killed right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S31R_wHk ... re=related

dubstep version of "99 red balloons" in a german casting show.. horrible. 8O
although painful, i still prefer that to my op...both 'despicable' as was said...fine adjective in this case lol

and warrior....halftime at a particular tempo..and usaully a vibe a bit more...eh..different from this anyway, its broad though, and much of 'dubstep' is imo, mislabeled...case in point, which could be called popstep, disneystep, or shitstep depending your pov

OOOHHHHH MY GOOOD!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

edit: i meant the yt vid

2be

Post by 2be » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:59 pm

I don't get the whole "dubstep is dead" thing. The videos posted in these threads aren't even dubstep, they are brostep.
And yes, brostep sucks ass, imo. But proper dubstep like this, played on a big ass sound system with huge subbass (not this midrange crap nowadays) will never lose its appeal to me.
There will be a back-to-the-roots movement sooner or later in the scene, just give the brostep sound a few more months of mainstream coverage and no one will give a shit about it anymore ;)

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:42 pm

nathannn wrote:this is not the type of music that you say "well if you dont like it you must be too old" this is the type of music you dont like because you actually like music.
I can't stress this enough: that's exactly what the people who are getting (mentally) too old always say. It's literally the same story every time, decade after decade. Those damn kids and their music.

:P

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:16 pm

this has nothing to do with dubstep, but it's a violinist doing something a little more original with music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNWto4xi ... AAAAAAAAAA
I was being a total dick about what I said earlier.

I watched it again and it's just a platform to do her thing and I enjoyed the dancing.
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:24 pm

When something gets really popular it begins to serve as a form of glue to bind together a social scene. To many people the type of glue is irrelevant. Also irrelevant is whether the glue is "good" or "bad". What matters is that there is glue working to bring & keep people together for a period of time. Afficionado are different, they are keenly aware of the nature of the glue, & can judge whether it's valid for them or not. Those who actually make the glue, er, music, are the most hyper critical & sensitive to both it's charms & faults. Booyah.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:32 pm

I was getting more irked about another youtube vid and the fluff contrast to the genre of music they're doing; it's not even about whatever step, it was more about latching onto whatever platform to exploit yourself seems more selfish to me than the overall potential.
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImage

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:36 pm

I'm not at all fond of the arrangements in Brostep, but I am happy that a whole generation of kids is listening to noisy ass music.
Electronic music has been far too clean and sterile for far too long. Older original Dubstep is great stuff, as has been pointed out, but the one thing I appreciate about wobble base brostep is the lack of "musicality" of it, the fact that it has a lot of random elements. Now if that comes out in different ways in the future it could turn into something decent IMO. Granted it will probably end up taking the worst elements and expanding on that, but as a non-fan of House and Trance music, to me the only reason Dub/BroStep is being trashed is because it's popular now.... Take this from somebody who will probably never buy a BroStep song or album.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:59 pm

I'm not at all fond of the arrangements in Brostep, but I am happy that a whole generation of kids is listening to noisy ass music.
And it should always be like that.
ImageImage