How to Freeze a midi track so the end of loop fades to start

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
uluculgen

How to Freeze a midi track so the end of loop fades to start

Post by uluculgen » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:46 am

Sorry if the title is a bit vague but i'll elaborate. i have a specific synth midi track with a fair amount of swelling so when you listen to it, all the chords sort of blend into one and other at each bar, including the end of the loop going back to the start.Unfortunately, when i freeze this track and turn it into audio, the end just abruptly cuts off and start from the beginning of the loop without blending into the start like it does when i play the midi track. There has to be a way around this! the midi track eats up a lot of CPU so i'd like to turn it into audio while playing back just like it does in midi. Thanks so much!!

yur2die4

Re: How to Freeze a midi track so the end of loop fades to start

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:39 am

Either there is a midpoint that you can change the Loop Start point to (careful that the track start does not set itself there too!!)

Or if the clip is not long enough, double the length and them do step 1.

uluculgen

Post by uluculgen » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:02 am

Sorry but that doesn't help yur2die4. if what i'm understanding is correct, i am to double the length of the loop and put the loop start at the middle? the end of the loop still doesn't fade into the beginning.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:45 pm

if you recorded three repeats of the loop and used the middle one.. would that work?. can you take some of the effects off the synth and put them on the audio loop, stuff like phasers, delays and reverbs? if it works as midi, but doesn't loop even if you take the second repeat of a clip that suggests to me that there are effects on the track that are changing on a time scale that is longer than the midi clips... the loop will have to be as long as their cycle length.

lyovino

Post by lyovino » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:33 pm

uluculgen wrote:Sorry if the title is a bit vague but i'll elaborate. i have a specific synth midi track with a fair amount of swelling so when you listen to it, all the chords sort of blend into one and other at each bar, including the end of the loop going back to the start.Unfortunately, when i freeze this track and turn it into audio, the end just abruptly cuts off and start from the beginning of the loop without blending into the start like it does when i play the midi track. There has to be a way around this! the midi track eats up a lot of CPU so i'd like to turn it into audio while playing back just like it does in midi. Thanks so much!!
Try Freezing the midi track (Clip) and then move the clip to an Audio channel strip. You will get the Audio wave looping exactly how you describe..
Mac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,) Catalina
3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, 64 GB
Apollo/x6, PUSH 2

Mage2k

Post by Mage2k » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm not clear on the question here: are you looking to have the full fade finish before it loops back to the start or have it loop at the end of the clip but have the effects fades overlap with the start on subsequent loops?

If the first, just make the clip longer so that the fade is included in the freeze.

For the second, which I think is what you mean, I can't think of any way to have the track frozen and looping only a portion of the frozen audio while still layering the tail that's not part of the loop over the start. You could, however, try something like this:

* Add an audio track
* Add a bar or two for the fade to the midi clip, turn looping off, and resample it into a clip on the audio track.
* Set the start point on the audio clip you just created to where the midi clip ends. You'll probably need to tweak this around just a bit to have it sound smooth.
* Cut the extra bars you added to the midi track earlier off, freeze it, and have the audio clip with the fade start with looping on after the first time the midi clip plays.