new guy with questions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Essencefracture

new guy with questions

Post by Essencefracture » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:08 pm

hey every one im new here, been looking into a DAW for awhile im choosing ableton but before i get started i have a few questions, some i have seen here but didnt really answer my question, im wanting to build a at home studio. using a desktop and a laptop for live performances. i am going to be getting ableton suite, would i be able to use ableton on both my custom built desktop and laptop or would i have to buy another suite due to the license key? also same question everyone ask, audio cards, most questions and answers seem to be external, for my at home studio, im going to be using akia apc 40 and akia mpk25 keyboard, and 2 krk monitors, i know i need a asio supported audio card but what would be my best bang for my $ for a great internal audio card. to support great sound and that set-up? also if i get a motherboard with onboard audio could i disable it and add my own internal sound card? thanks for the help everyone !!!

3dot...

Re: new guy with questions

Post by 3dot... » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:18 pm

Live license is valid up to 2 machines ..

about an audio interface...
what would be the budget for an audio interface..
and what are you wanting to do with it ? what are your needs ?
how many instruments/mics do you think you'd input simultaneously ?

I understand it's a home-studio... but those can be fairly equipped as well
also .. search the forum... these questions have already been answered on this forum...on a weekly basis,,

Essencefracture

Post by Essencefracture » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:54 pm

i understand its been answered, they dont seem to really answer my question. im going to be making dubstep, electro. things of that genre. i will be using alot of different instruments, alot of plug ins, i know its going to be pricey but if im going to spend $400 and over, i want to make sure i get something worth it, would it just be better to do a external audio card then? for my home set up and live i will be using the apc40 and mpk 25, so to save money would it be wise to just buy external to use for laptop and at home production?

Mage2k

Post by Mage2k » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:56 pm

Considering that you'll need it for the laptop when you use it, I'd just get a decent external audio interface that you can use with both the desktop and laptop.

Essencefracture

Post by Essencefracture » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:24 am

ok cool now if i have a motherboard that has a built in sound card am i able to disable it? and just run the external sound card

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:45 am

yes (but not really necessary imo).. just go to the 'device manager' and disable it there.

as for an interface in that range... personally I would look into the 'motu' catalog
I've always found them to be solid and reliable.. they also have interfaces that support both usb and firewire
http://www.motu.com/products

RME is my first choice but that's going up a notch..

Essencefracture

Post by Essencefracture » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:59 am

yea i looked into motu some before and rme. so i will be doing more research on it and make a decision. so far for ableton i am doing a cheaper computer build 1tb hard drive would i be ok with a amd phenom quad core black edition? i hear VERY mixed things on amd with ableton, it seems to be a hit and miss type deal. i like intel, i am on a budget right now, and honestly after looking over amd, for the price the phenom black edition seems to stand out, run that with 8gb ram i should be good what do you all think?. heard bulldozer line is just like most new products have alot of kinks to work out before it really shines.also if it helps i will be using NI massive, reaktor razor and a few other things multiple times during a song. thankyou everyone for your help so far

grooverb

Post by grooverb » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:03 am

If you're using Massive etc are you sure you need suite? Playing Devils advocate btw :D

I have suite, but I don't use anything else that much. Admittedly the sampler is awesome, but you could buy it separate or use short circuit. My 3rd party plugins are effects like Ohm force stuff.

Also have you thought about spending some cash on sound treating your room? Bass traps etc. You can build DIY bass traps pretty easily

http://www.kymatasound.com/Bass_traps.htm

and its worth investing in some books, like Mike Seniors Secrets of the Small Studio. Just give you some good hints n tips

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:12 pm

yep...room treatment should also be a priority..
all good advice !

I think books are important..but... most of the info you need is already on the web available freely ..
room treatment and acoustics are discussed endlessly on the web..
it's just a matter of digging in and searching researching...

sometimes a good published book by a KNOWN authority on the subject ..is a handier/easier reference..

this book is also one of these cases..I recommend it whenever I can..
the dude that wrote it built a whole lot of top grade studios...and he gives you options for almost every budget ..very detailed:
http://www.amazon.com/Building-Recordin ... d_sim_b_13