Possible OMF support through aatranslator

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Spazi

Possible OMF support through aatranslator

Post by Spazi » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:45 am

Hi guys, I've been in touch with a company that makes a program that converts omf files into project files such as reaper and various other daw files. But no ableton live support :(
I contacted them and asked them why, in reply they said that if I uploaded a typical session file they will take a look at it, and maybe we will finally have OMF support for ableton live!
Cross fingers guys!
Dell XPS 8000
Macbook 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM
Ableton Live 8.2.7
Akai APC40
RME Fireface 400
Axe-FX II

http://soundcloud.com/mothmouthmusic

Jbailey

Re: Possible OMF support through aatranslator

Post by Jbailey » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:40 pm

Fairlight makes (but doesn't support anymore) a program called AV Transfer. I use it to convert OMF files to Fairlight MT session. It also has an export function that I have used to output the OMF as individual AIFF's or WAV's. And then import into the Ableton session. This is not ideal, but is moderately fast as OMF's typically aren't more than 8 tracks or so. However, the downfall is you don't get the handles that are built into the clips in the OMF...you just get the files minus the handles. Not huge unless something is clipped off or you need to grab a little ambiance,but not ideal.

Not sure that Fairlight sees the value of this program outside it's own platform. AV Transfer is built into the new Fairlights and that why the product isn't supported anymore. Seems like a conversion tool that could be modified for Ableton or atleast used as I'm using it to export the files when Pro Tools isn't available or an option.

suite spot

Post by suite spot » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:47 pm

As promised we have started having a look at Ableton but its a bit more complicated in that there seems to be 2 versions of session formats.
The current zipped xmls of v8 and some other format which I haven't got hold of yet.

We currently have a backlog of formats that we have requests for and each format takes time to add to AATranslator depending upon how difficult it is.

suite spot

Post by suite spot » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Finally got around to working on converting the Ableton v8 ALS format and have a big chunk working already.
So pretty soon the functionality will be available to convert from Ableton to PT, OMF, Vegas, Audition, Reaper, Nuendo and a whole lot more.

More to come....

Edit: Once that's nailed we will work on converting FROM all the other formats TO Live

suite spot

Post by suite spot » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:16 am

We currently have the AATranslator export function (ALS to ???) being tested and the import function (ALS from ???) is a fair way into development.

Won't take too long.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Nice!

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey » Tue May 15, 2012 9:35 pm

great

suite spot

Post by suite spot » Tue May 15, 2012 9:53 pm

I probably forgot to mention that we did get it finished and released it a couple of weeks ago.
So if you are thinking that this is something that you need then contact me via the aatranslator web site and I'm happy to run a test conversion to OMF (or any other format) for you.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue May 15, 2012 10:54 pm

hmmm... how does it deal with 'warped' audio clips..?
(it would be great to be able to transfer to Vegas for video renders)

suite spot

Post by suite spot » Wed May 16, 2012 12:23 am

3dot... wrote:hmmm... how does it deal with 'warped' audio clips..?
OMF itself has no mechanism for relaying that information however it is possible (though we haven't implemented it) to convey this info to some limited formats that we support - I'll have to have a look at that.
But for OMF not possible.

suite spot

Post by suite spot » Mon May 21, 2012 5:55 am

Just thought I'd add that we are currently working on adding functions to read FCP-X (fcpxml) and AAF files.

Edit: And I'll add that we have looked at AAFs produced by Logic, Vegas, PT and Media Composer and not only are they either subtley (or in MC's case totally) different neither reads the other's AAF completely.

Sigh.......

suite spot

Post by suite spot » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:48 am

It's been a while - been real busy.

While we have had a couple of releases since my last post I thought I'd give you a quick update as to what we are working on.

Currently we are adding the ProTools PTF format to our export options.

We have a version in beta which is showing great promise.

Still have to add things like track automation and some other minor things as well as fix a few bugs and then test the hell out of it of course;-)

Having PTF as an export format option will allow greater session detail to be converted rather than the very basics that an omf can carry.

suite spot

Post by suite spot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:06 pm

3dot... wrote:hmmm... how does it deal with 'warped' audio clips..?
Apologies for not being around lately but life and AAT just seem to get in the way.
Been a while since I passed by but our next release (on St Patrick's Day) has this feature.

This release is all about converting stretched/compressed clips as well as pitch shifted clips

Version 5.6.0
* Als Export: Improved writing of ALS file
* Als Import: Improved reading of ALS file
* ALS Import: Now read pitch values for each clip
* Als Import: Now read and convert clip 'warped'/stretch details
* Audition XML Export: Now write stretch values for each clip from supported formats (eg ALS, PTF, RPP, RPP, Sam EDL, SAW, Sesx, Tracktion, Vegas XML, Vegas TXT, VIP)
* Audition XML Export: Now write pitch values for each clip from supported formats (eg ALS, PTF, RPP, Sesx, Tracktion, Vegas XML, Vegas TXT, VIP)
* Audition XML Import: Now read stretch and pitch values for each clip
* EDL (CMX) Import: Now attempts to extract audio from MOV files
* FCP XML Export: Now write stretch values for each clip from supported formats (eg ALS, Audition XML, PTF, RPP, RPP, Sam EDL, SAW, Sesx, Tracktion, Vegas XML, Vegas TXT, VIP)
* FCP XML Import: Now read stretch values for each clip
* Nuendo/Cubase XML Export: Fixed error where conversion of large sessions files resulting in huge XML files were not being written to disk
* Nuendo/Cubase XML Import: Fixed error causing endless loop with XMLs containing a Video Track
* OMF Import: Fixed a file naming issue with OMFs originating from Premiere Pro
* PTS Import: Now handles PT version 6.7 PTS files
* PTF Import: Fixed missing clip issue for PT (Windows version) 8.0.3
* PTF Import: Now read pitch values for each clip (PT8 & PT9)
* PTF Import: Now read stretch values for each clip (PT7, PT8 & PT9)
* PTS Import: Fixed errors importing some 6.4 version PTS files
* RPP Export: Now write pitch values for each clip from supported formats (eg ALS, PTF, Sesx, Tracktion, VIP)
* RPP Export: Now write stretch values for each clip from supported formats (eg PTF, Sam EDL, SAW, Sesx, Tracktion, Vegas XML, Vegas TXT, VIP)
* RPP Import: Now read stretch and pitch values for each clip
* RPP Import: Fixed an issue reading some RPP files containing a large number of FX
* Sam EDL Import: Now read stretch values for each clip
* SAW Export: Now write stretch values for each clip from supported formats (eg PTF, RPP, Sam EDL, SAW, Sesx, Tracktion, Vegas XML, Vegas TXT, VIP)
* SESX Export: Now write pitch values for each clip from supported formats (eg ALS, PTF, RPP, Tracktion, VIP)
* SESX Export: Now write stretch values for each clip from supported formats (eg PTF, RPP, Sam EDL, SAW, Sesx, Tracktion, Vegas XML, Vegas TXT, VIP)
* SESX Import: Now read stretch and pitch values for each clip
* Tracktion Export: Now available
* Tracktion Import: Improved reading of .trkedit file
* Tracktion Import: Now read stretch and pitch values for each clip
* Vegas TXT Export: Now write stretch values for each clip from supported formats (eg ALS, Audition XML, PTF, RPP, Sam EDL, SAW, Sesx, Tracktion, Vegas XML, VIP)
* Vegas TXT Import: Now read stretch values for each clip
* Vegas XML Export: Now write stretch values for each clip from supported formats (eg ALS, Audition XML, PTF, RPP, Sam EDL, SAW, Sesx, Tracktion, Vegas TXT, VIP)
* Vegas XML Import: Now read stretch values for each clip
* VIP Import: Now read stretch and pitch values for each clip
* Drag 'n' Drop implemented for importing files - drag a supported file onto the 'Import from' pane and AAT will change to that folder and select the file
* Drag 'n' Drop implemented for changing folders - drag a folder onto the 'Location' pane and AAT will change to that folder
* Fixed an issue reading 'ZOOM Handy Recorder H4n' BWF Wave files which caused AAT to go into an endless loop