Hissing on rendered/mastered tracks once exported

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thelillyman

Hissing on rendered/mastered tracks once exported

Post by thelillyman » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:46 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm experiencing some really annoying hissing on rendered tracks - within Live I can't hear any what so ever - I have mastered the track to a great quality and for some reason when rendered I can hear an audible hiss when the volume isn't as intense in some parts of the song - this as you can imagine is very annoying when you've spent a long time tweaking and mastering. If theres any one out there with any ideas or suggestions with regards to what could be causing this I would love to hear from you - a cure would be perfect!!!!

Look forward to some ideas - thelillyman

Tenshi

Re: Hissing on rendered/mastered tracks once exported

Post by Tenshi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:20 pm

I had an issue where the rendered output had some kind of aliasing on the low frequencies. Playback in Ableton is fine. The output is very different. Ive never noticed anything like that before... maybe its a specific plugin. The other odd thing is that the project i rendered itself contained only a rendered master track in a single track (the project was a final mastering stage.) The raw rendered master track is 24bit @ 196kHz, so I dont think dithering is an issue. This passes through EQ, Limiter, MB compressor, EQ, limiter. Normal stuff.

The only difference between what you hear in Ableton and what is rendered out is that one is in 'real-time mode' the other isn't, as far as I know.

It's possible to force the output renderer to use real-time mode by inserting an external instrument somewhere (Live then assumes it is using external hardware and has to use real-time rendering.) I figure the drawback to using realtime mode is that if Live is using too much CPU it would record the overloads.

Havent tried this yet...

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:58 pm

it's got to be one of the vsts you're using...
or too harsh settings on a certain compressor..

Tenshi

Post by Tenshi » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:04 pm

The harshness of a compressor would be audible in the preview as well as the render.

And it's nothing to do with the harshness of any compressor. It sounds nothing like that.

Also the plugins are all Live native ones. And... again, it sounds different when rendered to when previewed...both of which are using the same plugins.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Tenshi wrote:The harshness of a compressor would be audible in the preview as well as the render.

And it's nothing to do with the harshness of any compressor. It sounds nothing like that.

Also the plugins are all Live native ones. And... again, it sounds different when rendered to when previewed...both of which are using the same plugins.
how would you know ? did you hear the op track ?

thelillyman

Post by thelillyman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi Guys - thanks for all the replies - As Dre would say I've since "been in the lab with a pen and a pad" lol doing tonnes of tweaks and system overhauls - it turned out that the issue was with some outboard gear - so therefore all of the "production technique" was ok - the problem was with certain parameters that were burning out in separate gear - in other words nothing to do with Live or my overall master - really annoying though - when your locked into a project you can often over think the most complicated theories and miss the simple ones!!!

Once again thanks for all of the info and help guys - always appreciate it!

Best - thelillyman

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:44 pm

for your future recs...

crappy mic or no i'll take a wild guess that your mic input levels were just too high

no mic boost, and (for me) a mic vol level <20% is key to getting no hiss....