Other DAWs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

Re: Other DAWs

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:06 am

Logic and Geist. I've spent way too much money to realize that's what's up
Ableton | Elektron

Music

hps909

Post by hps909 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:28 am

cubase 6.5, studio 1 and live .. i have a copy of logic just for compatabilty as a few guys i collaborate with use it ..
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:39 am

djadonis206 wrote:Logic and Geist. I've spent way too much money to realize that's what's up
Interesting, so you're done with the Live/Maschine combo?

Well can't go wrong with that combo really. FXpansion and Apple are steady and stable for the most part.

foetus666

Post by foetus666 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:21 am

Used Live since version 4.

Last year bought S1 V2 and nutted out 3 or 4 songs. I was aiming for a 64 bit system.

Back to Live fully now as it suits my workflow better and ideas are easier to flesh out and get songs finished quicker. Using Jbridge to run Kontakt and Superior Drummer as 64bit so that I can hammer live without the paranoia of crashing when I get into higher memory usage territory.

esky

Post by esky » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:13 am

Logic 9 and Live/Rewire combination here, after 4 years Live solo. Mac and Logic brought back business and clients immediatly, my investment has already been refinanced in a few weeks. My Win PC is on ebay now...:-)

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:51 pm

esky wrote:Mac and Logic brought back business and clients immediatly
Same reason i have cubase and logic. Also leep up with reason/record updates even though I dont really use them much for my own stuff.
Nothing to see here - move along!

7redBl@dder

Post by 7redBl@dder » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:42 pm

put a shout out there for numerology,
it's a sequencer really and also AU/VST
anyone else using it?

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:09 pm

7redBl@dder wrote:put a shout out there for numerology,
it's a sequencer really and also AU/VST
anyone else using it?
I did.. Great piece of software!

drewjjkennedy

Post by drewjjkennedy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:45 pm

Used Cubase 5 for a while bouncing bits into Audiomulch to make some cool bits but pretty much do everything in Live these days...

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:59 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:Logic and Geist. I've spent way too much money to realize that's what's up
Interesting, so you're done with the Live/Maschine combo?

Well can't go wrong with that combo really. FXpansion and Apple are steady and stable for the most part.
I wouldn't say I'm done per se. I've just found Geist and Logic to be the fastest to work with. And Geist and Logic can do things that Maschine and Live can't.

For example, I can create a huge elaborate drum sequence, automation and all, in Geist.
Then drag that sequence into Logic. I should note here, all the automation comes with the sequence when copied over from Geist. Maschine does not do this, only velocity is copied over.
Then, I use the split by note pitch command in Logic and now my sequence is broken up into individual parts. Live cannot do this.
Key command L and then marque tool to cut out the parts I don't want, bam, half the arrangement is done. Love it.

BTW - in my experience, Geist just sounds better than Maschine. This is my personal opinion, not subject for debate.

I also find Logic's horizontal arrange view so much easier to work with than Live's. Recording a midi keyboard part in Live's arrange window is a pain the ass, from my experience.

Moreover, the key commands in Logic are awesome. Once you get them down, it's off to the races.

I still love Live, but as far as making music right now, Geist and Logic are were it's at for me.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:26 pm

djadonis206 wrote: Moreover, the key commands in Logic are awesome. Once you get them down, it's off to the races.
That's a big one for me in DP and Logic VS Live. The key commands save vast amounts of time.
IMO Logics main advantage is in it's zoom tools, assign a multi button mouse to the magnifying glass zoom tool and a simple key command to "zoom to fit both horizontally and vertically" (think that's the key command name? can't remember?), and you can navigate around the arrange page about twice as fast as any other DAW.
Same goes for the loop, assign a key to 'set loop to selection' and you can loop anything anywhere. Also if you haven't already set a command for "capture last take as recording", it means that anything you do MIDI controller wise in Logic is able to be recorded as MIDI on record enabled tracks after you stop the sequence. 8O
Best Logic only feature ever.

I have GURU which I could upgrade to Geist, just haven't had the $125 around to do it. Plus working with a real drummer for the last year or so since Geist came out.
My new workflow is Live reWired to DP. I still think Live beats the crap out of the rest in terms of time stretching and messing with beats etc, but I'm using real analog keyboards these days and being able to SysEx the patch to a song, being able to use vast amounts of automation tools VS the pen, having a real Event list editor.

noland

Post by noland » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:40 pm

Geist IN Reaper. Geists Workflow is uber-awesome. I need Reaper only to use the MPD 32 Note Repeat feature and all of Geists 8 engines. Geist standalone does not send MIDI Clock to the MPD and without Clock no Repeat. FX Pansion refuses to fix this since GURU. Instead they made a Geist internal Note Repeat, but compared to the one of the MPD32 it sucks big time. Note Repeat works fine in ableton, but ableton treats all MIDI Data sent to VSTs as MIDI Channel 1, so i can not control all 8 engines with the MPD. (ableton is to blame for this one - see FXPansion Forum)

Its kinda sad. Geist could be a smash hit if some things get fixed, like the fucking "Fullscreen is for n00bs" policy :-(
give a man fire and he will be warm for the night
set a man on fire and he will never freeze again

kcearl

Post by kcearl » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:15 am

I use Studio One v2....i plan to do all my arranging and recording in Live and the final mix in S1. On my one screen set up I can view almost 50 tracks for mixing with a handy adjustable meter bridge. Its effects, although more traditional than Live are pretty good quality.

Ive used sonar before and own Logic, but Ive never fitted them into my workflow. I also use Maschine, its own sequencer/scene is pretty limited, but as a plugin its great.

Anyway Ive only recently taken the plunge so Ive got a bit of reading to catch up with 8)

Gnuus

Post by Gnuus » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:37 am

Presonus Studio One v2
Cubase 6
Numerology
http://myspace.com/aftronics
Live 10 Intro | iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB Ram | Samaon Graphite 49 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | iPad air | ZOOM TAC-2 | Roland TD11

remute99

Post by remute99 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 am

noland wrote: Its kinda sad. Geist could be a smash hit if some things get fixed, like the fucking "Fullscreen is for n00bs" policy :-(
Even at the outset of beta-testing they point blank refused to listen to this repeated request.
How they managed to miss the whole "our users switch from laptops to 32inch monitors and so need a resizable GUI" is baffling.
Maybe they learned from this mistake with Tremor, I haven't demoed it yet.
Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2 x 2.8 GHz
10 GB RAM
OSX 10.5.6