Newbie problems with latency.

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
riwazinho

Newbie problems with latency.

Post by riwazinho » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:56 pm

Hi. Ive been recording and mixing in ableton for a little while now, and I love it! But I keep having problems with latency. Im using a focusrite scarlett 2i2 to record, bass, guitar and vocals. If I connect a guitar I often want effects on it so by-pass feature wont work. To remove latency in this scenario I reduce buffer lenght to 4 ms, which sounds nearly as zero latency in my ears. But if I connect my Rode NT1-A mic this approach doesnt work. For the microphone I have been using 11 ms buffer length and the bypass button on my soundcard. But this approach brings in another problem. The recorded clip isnt perfectly in sync. I found the setting "driver error compensation" but I fear that if I manage to find a good setting here (on my 11 ms buffer length) it will have an impact on (4 ms buffer lenght) guitar recording. Maybe Im doing it all wrong to start with. Im new to the whole recording part of music and would appreciate some hints on how to solve this problem.

Regards
Richard