Rob Papen Predator Review

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
milfhuntr

Rob Papen Predator Review

Post by milfhuntr » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:32 pm

I have been looking at Access Virus and Prophet 8 for awhile because I do that Com Truise/ Boards of Canada type of 80's trippy analog. I thought I would give this VST a try. I was a bit put off by "Predator" name. I am not sure why but this name does not embody the phatness and analog sound of this VST. Be sure if you demo it to try the different banks. Try the "Classic Synth" bank. The Prophets and Junos will blow your mind. It has some very good arp patterns and legato/poly/mono modes.

All in all, it is the most amazing analog emulation I have ever heard. If you do any Com Truise, Neon Indian, Boards, Tycho, .Christ type of thing it is a must.

I note that that is my genre but it also has banks for dance and dubstep and has some killer wobbles if that is what you do.

Tenshi

Re: Rob Papen Predator Review

Post by Tenshi » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Ive used it a fair bit and didn't like it. Aliasing was unacceptable, even at highest quality.

condra

Post by condra » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Yep, Predator sounds cold and harsh and digital.
Not my cup of tea at all, but perfect if you want to sound like a 17 year old Estonian Trance producer from 2003.

Albino and Blue are still awesome though IMO.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:32 pm

It's definitely a very "digital sounding" soft-synth, and I can't possibly agree with OP that it's a stellar sounding Virtual Analog. It's not phat, it's not smooth, it comes nowhere near as close to adequate classic-analog emulation as Diva or Omnisphere or even a dozen lesser products...

...all that aside, I actually really like Predator, because I make Industrial music and Predator's sound is often very well suited to this genre. The cold, distinctly "90's Digital" (as I like to think of it) sound has a place in my music, for sure. I mostly use it for short sequence-synth sounds and arpeggios, but also occasionally for pads. The interface is also great, with everything on one screen (except the arp), and it looks pretty darn cool, too.

So yeah, mileage will very, but OP seems like he's either *very* new to analog emulation VSTs, or is about 16 years old.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

condra

Post by condra » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:29 am

mholloway wrote:OP seems like he's either *very* new to analog emulation VSTs, or is about 16 years old.
His name is milfhuntr.
I really hope he is older than 16 :lol:

remute99

Post by remute99 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:36 pm

condra wrote:Yep, Predator sounds cold and harsh and digital.
Really? 8O I sold Albino 'cos the alisasing on that is mental - and no oversampling like Predator has.
Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2 x 2.8 GHz
10 GB RAM
OSX 10.5.6

condra

Post by condra » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:42 pm

remute99 wrote:
condra wrote:Yep, Predator sounds cold and harsh and digital.
Really? 8O I sold Albino 'cos the alisasing on that is mental - and no oversampling like Predator has.
OK I’ll admit that I haven’t used Albino in a couple of years, but I remember it sounding pretty good to my ears.

I spent a few hours fucking with Predator recently and I stand by my previous statement.

FWIW, Analog and Sylenth are my go to synths for programming subtractive/VA sounds.

Hey, each to his own and all that, but the OP didn’t say “I love how Predator sounds” ... he said "most amazing analog emulation” ... which is pure bollox, frankly.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Sylenth destroys Predator in any fight, it's true.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Fugazi81

Post by Fugazi81 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:00 pm

milfhuntr wrote:...Snip....

All in all, it is the most amazing analog emulation I have ever heard.
If you want true analogue emulation there is "U-HE DIVA" considered to be the most "analogish" analogue emulation. (today + IMHO)
You can demo it for free :arrow: http://www.u-he.com/cms/113-diva

But you will need much CPU-Power to run this little beast, less more than "Rob´s Predator".

milfhuntr

Post by milfhuntr » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:57 am

Fugazi81 wrote:

If you want true analogue emulation there is "U-HE DIVA" considered to be the most "analogish" analogue emulation. (today + IMHO)

But you will need much CPU-Power to run this little beast, less more than "Rob´s Predator".
Thanks. I tried Diva and also Arturia Analog Factory. For $99 I don't think I can do any better than Analog Factory. I found on there some basses and some brass I have been trying to emulate for quite awhile. I found really nothing that was exactly what I was looking for on the Diva. Diva cost more but I think I would pay more if I thought it was really worth more to me. I also have to look at processing too and Aruria is easier on the processor. I will probably get Analog Factory and use it awhile while looking more into others. I also like some of Predators sounds and I will use them on a few songs too.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:33 am

condra wrote:...17 year old Estonian Trance producer from 2003.
Ehehehhehhhehehhehehhehehhehe :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tysonviolin

Post by Tysonviolin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:11 am

Blah blah blah. It is way more about the composition than the analogness of the synth

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:50 pm

milfhuntr wrote:
Fugazi81 wrote:

Thanks. I tried Diva and also Arturia Analog Factory. For $99 I don't think I can do any better than Analog Factory. I found on there some basses and some brass I have been trying to emulate for quite awhile. I found really nothing that was exactly what I was looking for on the Diva. Diva cost more but I think I would pay more if I thought it was really worth more to me. I also have to look at processing too and Aruria is easier on the processor. I will probably get Analog Factory and use it awhile while looking more into others. I also like some of Predators sounds and I will use them on a few songs too.
If you're into the vintage sound like Boards of Canada style, you're best bet is probably Poly-Ana. An absolute all-rounder in the vintage analog theme.
Professional Shark Jumper.