Fabfilter Saturn

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
anybody human

Re: Fabfilter Saturn

Post by anybody human » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Yep March 8th. Nice. There's a thread over at Gearslutz as well.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-prod ... lugin.html

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Holy buckets! In the 2nd half of the video, check out the multi-band & modulation capabilities. The visual layout of the multi-band feature is fantastic, this is where Fabfilter's unique GUI really shines. So excited.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:41 pm

I was sold when he made the bass sound. It was so quick and easy.

One thing I like about this and other Fabfilter plugins is the size of the interface. Many plugin GUIs are quite small and it's sometimes difficult to see all the texts and values. One of the worst examples in this regard are D16 plugins.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:07 pm

The price is 129€. And if you own other Fabfilter plugins, it's even cheaper (my price was 95€). 8O
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:56 pm

I never thought of the D16 plugins as too small or hard to read, but some native generators like Analog and Operator turn me off because of that.
ImageImage

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:28 pm

Rationalizer wrote:The price is 129€. And if you own other Fabfilter plugins, it's even cheaper (my price was 95€). 8O
I wouldnt say its cheap exactly. I can not afford this now. Have to wait a few weaks. But I have enough (2) new plugs to learn first anyway.

Its more then likely worth the price tag. But plugs within the €70 price tag range is stuf I could buy on impuls.
Last edited by ze2be on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:39 pm

There is a 30 day free trial if you're interested in checking it out.

http://www.fabfilter.com/products/saturn.php

arafel

Post by arafel » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:40 pm

DL & using the demo.

So easy to use... 8O
Just watched the OP link, no manual needed here.

Imho - between this and Kombinat - distortion covered. :D
(except for VHS tape export/reimport).
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

philipc

Post by philipc » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:01 am

Got the demo. It's fantastic. Extremely easy to use, as fast and intuitive as any plugin interface I've ever used. Huge tonal variation. I love the faux FM radio kind of sounds. Tried it out on guitar and while it won't be any use for any kind of heavy distortion (I've yet to find a bit of software that can do this for guitar - drums and synths, yes, but guitar, no) for saturation and tone shaping it's really wonderful. The multiband possibilities are particularly good for guitar looping - I can lay down a bass line, rhythm and lead and pretty much tweak each at once by separating them with different bands. Lots of fun.

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:31 pm

I have tried out the demo. I am a bit underwhelmed. The mod options are very good and easy to set up, but the basic distortion algorithms are all a bit samey and uninspiring except for the special effects ones, which are perhaps too much the other way. I would imagine having to stack other effects with this to achieve a satisfactory level of interest. The dynamics knob doesn't do much, perhaps I am missing the point. Multiband implementation is neat though. Very pretty. But a bit polite in general. Trash is still the king imho.

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Macrostructure wrote:I have tried out the demo. I am a bit underwhelmed. The mod options are very good and easy to set up, but the basic distortion algorithms are all a bit samey and uninspiring except for the special effects ones, which are perhaps too much the other way. I would imagine having to stack other effects with this to achieve a satisfactory level of interest. The dynamics knob doesn't do much, perhaps I am missing the point. Multiband implementation is neat though. Very pretty. But a bit polite in general. Trash is still the king imho.
I think what's most interesting about it is the versatility, ease-of-use interface, mod options, M/S & multiband options. If you're looking for the closest emulations to real hardware, I'd go for Waves or UAD. Just MHO.

leoelzein

Post by leoelzein » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:39 pm

shadx312 wrote:I never thought of the D16 plugins as too small or hard to read, but some native generators like Analog and Operator turn me off because of that.
You can zoom the interface in the preferences. I have it set at 130% on my 27" iMac... very comfortable for my eyes. Also take the time to find a good color scheme that is easy on your eyes... I am amazed how different my experience with live is... after changing those 2 things.

oh and I'm definitely getting Saturn, I have all their plugins so I do get a considerable discount... amazing stuff!

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Quite liking Saturn myself... took it out for a spin and made this funky little jam.

http://soundcloud.com/infomartian/wow-t ... of-cologne
Image Image

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Mr D wrote:I think what's most interesting about it is the versatility, ease-of-use interface, mod options, M/S & multiband options. If you're looking for the closest emulations to real hardware, I'd go for Waves or UAD. Just MHO.
Well, I wouldn't really know if a distortion emulation was good or not, I have little experience in that area, but I want my distortion plugins to do exactly that - distort - not fanny around warming things up 8)

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:17 am

polyslax wrote:Quite liking Saturn myself... took it out for a spin and made this funky little jam.

http://soundcloud.com/infomartian/wow-t ... of-cologne
Nice polyslax :)