Advice on buying an Iphone4s please

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Stevejaz

Advice on buying an Iphone4s please

Post by Stevejaz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:58 am

Hi folks
After buying an Ipad2 for my partner I'm keen to buy an Iphone outright (as opposed to a plan )
I want it for use online and as a mobbile hot spot plus minnor phone use.
2 questions
I want to run music apps so am I better to pay the extra for a 32 or even 64 gig.
I would think a 16 gig should be enough room for apps and sketch pad style files, but I have been wrong before.
and secondly
should I buy the extra years cover
Before useing the Ipad I had not used apple and now wish to head that way in the future.
Thanks in advance for any tips

regretfullySaid

Re: Advice on buying an Iphone4s please

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:01 am

I got a refurbed 8gb 4th gen ipod off ebay and don't have space problems with the 13 music apps I have. I usually keep around 1.5 to 2 gb free, actually.
It's rendering exports that take up space but they aren't meant to stay on there.

I would always opt for insurance and I think there's a legit site where you can get it for cheaper. I can't think of it right now but someone else knows.
ImageImage

Stevejaz

Post by Stevejaz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:43 am

Thanks Shadx312.
So anymore than 16gig would be overkill?
I would be interested to hear any reasons for a larger memory though. Buy the time I pay $800 plus another $100 for extended cover, an extra $100 or $200 for 32 or 64 gig is not something I want to regret not paying further down the track, especially with a 2 year cover paid for.
btw I had thought about waiting for an Iphone5 but don't think I want to wait that long.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:12 am

It depends what other apps you'll use with it. Games take up the most space. Alchemy takes up a lot but I've played with it only a few times; don't really care for it. It has great functions but synth wise imo, meh.

Consider that you might want to import wavs into your iphone, but unless it's a bunch of full tracks they won't take up much space ie your own custom drum hits/kits for Nanostudio (probably inevitable). They still barely make a dent.

Other thing is recordings and that goes back to how long you want to keep those on there.

Another thing is you might end up wanting to invest in midi i/o like the CCK or the Akai or IK units, but they're not much.

You'll want to get the Animoog into Live and feeding stuff through Filtatron is delicious, but you don't need anything else to do that other than a cord you probably already have.

I would go with the best deal you can get just to see if it's enough because by the time it is enough your next purchase could be an ipad or a newer iphone at the same price as the one you'll be getting now.

That's why I went with the 8gb ipod. It's still enough, and my next purchase will be an ipad.

I'm extremely confident you'll be fine with 16gb. If not, I'll tell you where I live.

Personally, I would get an ipod if it's for minor phone use and IF you frequently have wi-fi around.
My phone died a couple months ago and I'm not in a rush to get a new one because I use google voice and that's the number everybody has, so I just use the talkatone app (even though our main communications are email and IM). So, my ipod is my phone. You can give all the service providers the finger by not giving them your money.
Something to consider. I got mine for $130.

Of course, a phone for emergencies isn't a bad idea but that doesn't need to be extravagant.
ImageImage

Stevejaz

Post by Stevejaz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:37 am

Thanks so much for taking the time to post so much information. It's greatly appreciated. I havn't heard of most of the things you speak of (Animoog, Filtron etc)or using an ipod as a phone either, but I will enjoy looking into them. My partner has the 16gig wifi only Ipad2. I havn't used it much,(hard to get her off it actually) just downloaded garage band. I will definatelly be getting midi conectivity as it will fit both and as to my next purchase, it will be a good Macbook pro (SSD and lots of ram)
One of the main reasons for wanting the Iphone is for internet conection, both stand alone and mobile hot spot. We are near retirement age and have a motorhome. My experience with computers is all Windows PC based, both desktop and laptop. I can see a good Macbook ultimately replacing both though, especially with the new 'Thunderbolt' port, as devices become more available.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:49 pm

What happens when you tell Siri to drop the bass?

:x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:29 pm

She sings Daisy Daisy?

No problemo

Also keep in mind also if you're used to looking at the ipad then then iphone screen is going to seem a lot smaller than usual.
ImageImage