Fabfilter Saturn

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
polyslax

Re: Fabfilter Saturn

Post by polyslax » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:49 am

Sibanger wrote:
polyslax wrote:Quite liking Saturn myself... took it out for a spin and made this funky little jam.

http://soundcloud.com/infomartian/wow-t ... of-cologne
Nice polyslax :)
Cheers!
Image Image

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:29 pm

Macrostructure wrote:Very pretty. But a bit polite in general.
Yeah I can agree a bit. I would buy it if I had the extra loot lying around, but I'm not at all disappointed that I own Ohmicide first.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:47 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Macrostructure wrote:Very pretty. But a bit polite in general.
Yeah I can agree a bit. I would buy it if I had the extra loot lying around, but I'm not at all disappointed that I own Ohmicide first.
No argument on the sound of Ohmicide, but I found the UI difficult to work with... ended up selling it a few years ago.

I think there's room for rude in Saturn... let me look into it further.

Of course, when I want to set my sound to armageddon I fire it through the Sherman or Biscuit... or both! :)
Image Image

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:04 am

polyslax wrote: No argument on the sound of Ohmicide, but I found the UI difficult to work with... ended up selling it a few years ago.

Of course, when I want to set my sound to armageddon I fire it through the Sherman or Biscuit... or both! :)
Jeez really? I think the UI is dead easy to figure out in Ohmicide, and would never sell it. Definitely my got to plug in for distortion. I like the control that Fabfilter puts into their gear, but unlike most of you I'm not sold on the UI, too candy, the car stereo analogy fits. Not horrible, not any better than most. Just not liking the lack of love for Ohmicide here, reminds me of reading a KVR thread on Bitwig Studio filled with people dumping on Live. I love new distortion algorithms so at some point I'll pick up Saturn, looks good and different enough to Ohmicide to justify owning both! 8)

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:07 am

Machinesworking wrote:
polyslax wrote: No argument on the sound of Ohmicide, but I found the UI difficult to work with... ended up selling it a few years ago.

Jeez really? I think the UI is dead easy to figure out in Ohmicide, and would never sell it. Definitely my got to plug in for distortion. I like the control that Fabfilter puts into their gear, but unlike most of you I'm not sold on the UI, too candy, the car stereo analogy fits. Not horrible, not any better than most. Just not liking the lack of love for Ohmicide here, reminds me of reading a KVR thread on Bitwig Studio filled with people dumping on Live. I love new distortion algorithms so at some point I'll pick up Saturn, looks good and different enough to Ohmicide to justify owning both! 8)
No trouble figuring out the Ohmicide UI, but I found it fiddly... I recall some targets being quite small and some legibility issues. Sound generally trumps UI for me and in a lot of cases I don't care if the UI is the fugliest thing on earth, but sometimes, like with Ohmicide, I just find the work flow doesn't happen for me. By the same token, even tho I feel your candy analogy, I find the FF UIs really do have some workflow magic for me.
Image Image

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:11 am

Wasn't a big fan of Ohmicide myself, sounded ok, but the GUI left me feeling meh. It's art, I care about stuff like that more than I probably should. Saturn looks cool, but I haven't had the time to try yet myself.

Still pining after Timeless2 anyway....
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:59 am

This is where I part with most of the forum for sure, I'm not into layered menus, to the point a small amount of clutter is preferable.
The real difference is in the layering, Saturn has all it's filter layer parameters hidden except the open one, while Ohmicide has all out front. I like the cleanness of the Saturn GUI, but I like the ability to visually see the settings in zones on the Ohmicide, you can tell instantly by looking how much distortion is on each zone, what kind, and what the noise gate settings are etc. Also I prefer the more subtle branding that Ohm Force does as opposed to Fabfilter BLASTING the name of of the company and plug in with the WHITE in the upper left. I'm left with feeling like I'm looking at the packaging with Fabfilter GUIs, not the product because of this. Like I said I'll probably eventually own Saturn as I'm sure it's got it's own sound compared to Ohmicide, and I like distortions, especially surgical distortions, but the simplicity of the GUI is not and will never be a selling point unless it's aesthetically pleasing, which I don't find unless they start to integrate the name into the GUI instead of placing it as a glaring billboard like that. I will admit that for me playing a rougher kind of music, the name and blood splatters on the Ohmicide GUI are more "fun". :twisted:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:05 am

Also again a lot of people at KVR were chiming in on Bitwig threads about how they were going to check out BWS and had never bothered with Live because they hated the GUI.
^^ notice a similarity?

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:12 am

I tried Ohmicide a while back and the sound was great, but the interface was so horrible to work with in a practical sense that I didn't buy it. I am 50/50 about the looks, but the interface was just way to hard to use, no workflow at all.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:29 am

Macrostructure wrote:I tried Ohmicide a while back and the sound was great, but the interface was so horrible to work with in a practical sense that I didn't buy it. I am 50/50 about the looks, but the interface was just way to hard to use, no workflow at all.
OK what exactly doesn't make sense about the interface? I'm seriously confused at to how one could get lost with it? The only truly different thing about Ohmicide is the morphing sequencer keyboard assignable presets, the rest is about as straightforward as you can get.
My only complaint turned out to be me maxing my CPU while mixing to 99% and Ohmicide slowing waaay down, hardly Ohm Forces fault. :lol:

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:15 am

Many of the controls are too small, or too small in throw, too close together, badly labelled and lost in a vast interface. What's to like? :)

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:20 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Macrostructure wrote:I tried Ohmicide a while back and the sound was great, but the interface was so horrible to work with in a practical sense that I didn't buy it. I am 50/50 about the looks, but the interface was just way to hard to use, no workflow at all.
OK what exactly doesn't make sense about the interface? I'm seriously confused at to how one could get lost with it?
The only thing which is not horrible is the visual wave display. All the rest is cluttered, hard to read, and looks like it was assembled with sissors, a newspaper, a pencil and glue. It is, imo the the definition of a bad gui! :D But the engine is good, the futures are nice and the sound is good.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:51 am

Yeah I just totally disagree with all of you fuckers! :lol:
EVERY decent plug in has a shift or option click to fine adjust a knob or setting, the only small knobs are the ones you'll use the least.... moot point IMO.
If every plug in looked like Live's GUI I would be bored shitless, that Ohm Force take chances works for me, YRMV.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:32 am

Just picked Saturn up. Awesome!!! Great sound, easy to use. I love it!!!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:57 am

Machinesworking wrote:Ohmicide's GUI is better than Saturn's
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but you got one s t r a n g e sense of aesthetics going on there... -/