Automagically control the first 8 parameters with AKAI LPD8

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
hijo de la pula

Automagically control the first 8 parameters with AKAI LPD8

Post by hijo de la pula » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:19 pm

I stumbled across this quote
baseinstinct wrote:
As for the control of the first eight parameters - yes - it is not automap, but a regular midi mode - achievable with any midi controller.
And I have to ask, is this for real? I plan to get an AKAI LPD8 and this would make me very happy if I could automatically and without mapping anything, control the first 8 parameters of any selected Live device.

I have achieved this using Nocturn, automap pro and a custom script I found on the web, but I am getting all sorts of imprecise and generally awkward behaviour from the knobs on the Nocturn which is causing much frustration.

If this is true and the LPD8 will work this way I'm turning the Nocturn into a door-stopper, I shit you not.

siliconarc

Re: Automagically control the first 8 parameters with AKAI LPD8

Post by siliconarc » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:27 pm

you just need a remote script, as that controller isnt officially supported.
someone's already made one for you:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=144774

hijo de la pula

Post by hijo de la pula » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:34 pm

So that only works for macros, drums rack and impulse?

With the Nocturn and the script I mentioned, ANY device's first 8 paramsare controllable.

Thanks though, that's very close to what I was after.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:47 pm

no idea how that guy set his script up - i don't have an LPD8 - but yea you can control a device's knobs, buttons etc. using the custom control script.
you can have bank switches too, to move to the next 8 params in the device, and the banks show at the bottom of the Live screen. handy.

have a dig around in the prefs folder to look at how you make your own. i've made a few for my controllers. its pretty simple.

hijo de la pula

Post by hijo de la pula » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:56 pm

garyboozy wrote:no idea how that guy set his script up - i don't have an LPD8 - but yea you can control a device's knobs, buttons etc. using the custom control script.
you can have bank switches too, to move to the next 8 params in the device, and the banks show at the bottom of the Live screen. handy.

have a dig around in the prefs folder to look at how you make your own. i've made a few for my controllers. its pretty simple.

Will do. Thanks for your help, tis much appreciated.