iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Komodovaran

Re: iPad

Post by Komodovaran » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:50 am

Rave wrote:I am concerned about the weight how does it compare to a first gen iPad?
The first iPad is literally an iBrick.

:x

Rave

Post by Rave » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:59 am

Komodovaran wrote:
Rave wrote:I am concerned about the weight how does it compare to a first gen iPad?
The first iPad is literally an iBrick.

Just checked online, the iPad is roughly 100 g heavier than the iPad 2 and 50 g heavier than the iPad 3

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Well here's my story for anyone looking for reviews.

I'm jumping from an iPad 1. Two things always bothered me about the iPad 1. Resolution and form.

I never loved surfing the net with it because I found that it made website text too small and slightly fuzzy. I had to zoom in to every pane. I have quite good eyesight, so I don't mind small text, but fuzzy small text bothers me. The new iPad completely fixes this. Text is amazing clear, can see every little detail with no fuzz. Same is true for detailed tiny graphics like the little icons on the home page when they are in a folder. Fuzz is gone. I absolutely love the crispness of everything now. It actually feels like I'm reading a magazine which is thoe entire Internet and every newspaper imaginable. As opposed to before where it felt like reading on a squished computer screen. The ebooks were ok because they were meant for the device, but even they were a bit fuzzy before. But it it's regular websites where the difference is most noticeable.

As for the form factor, coming from the iPad 1, the new one is of course far nicer to hold, but anyone who's used an iPad 2 knows that. I knew from holding the iPad 2 in the stores that even the design would make me want to use it more.

So it may be a hair thicker and a tad heavier than the iPad 2, which is unfortunate, but I think it's absolutely worth it for the screen. I held off buying an iPad 2 because the thing I wanted most, the iPhone retina display, wasn't included at the time. The new iPad however has excited me far more than the iPad 1 did when I bought it. I actually had buyers remorse when I bout the iPad 1 and was going to take it back. I'd never think this of the new one.

So all in all I have to agree with apple marketing in this case and say yes, is all about the screen. The iPad is now, for me, more of what I always wanted it to be, my main web browser as well as my ubiquitous digital magazine/newspaper/book device. I no longer wish I was looking at a site on my laptop instead when I use the iPad.

So there you go.
Professional Shark Jumper.

barryalva

Post by barryalva » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:54 pm

Last edited by barryalva on Thu May 24, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:23 pm

:lol: that's cute but it'll still be an extra $20 - Applee
ImageImage

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:05 pm

It's not even out until next Friday here. Bloody yanks :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Still not seeing this fuzzy text you guys are on about with the 1 & 2. :x

You want fuzzy? Try web surfing on the Xoom. omfg

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:17 pm

Wife just walked into the apple store this afternoon and got her ipad3, no lines, no wait. They obviously have more this time around.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:58 pm

Tarekith wrote:Wife just walked into the apple store this afternoon and got her ipad3, no lines, no wait. They obviously have more this time around.
Yep, same here. Had mine pre-ordered, was due to arrive on the 22nd. Went in to Future Shop across the street from my work on the 16th and they had every size and color and type in stock, not really any line up in the morning apparently. I cancelled my order with apple while in the store and picked one up on the spot.

Less fuss this time around than when the ipad 2 came out. I'm glad I waited for this version though. I honestly can't even stand browsing on my old one anymore. However it's still just as useful for multi-touch music controllers like touchable and will be kept for that purpose.
Professional Shark Jumper.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:43 am

Tarekith wrote:They obviously have more this time around.

or.......

Do I need to say it?

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:13 am

Tarekith wrote:Not noticeable at all, it's all for the new display resolution. Honestly, other than the clearer display, it just feels like a thicker, heavier iPad2.
ok Tarekith your about the most trustworthy we've got in this homeless shelter we call the abe forum, if it wasn't for the ret display, would you have gotten the new one or just stuck with the ipad 2?

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:04 am

I have to give dedication props to any developer that is making music apps that even border on PRO. I just browsed the most popular apps in the music section and got to about 60 when I stopped. 95% of them were free apps and a good percentage of those had nothing to do with music creation. :x

And I realize games are the most popular category, but it seems to be the only category Apple gives any love to, even going to the extent of breaking them down into sub categories. All other categories are just a clusterfuck of whatever the developer thinks is the closest category and that's by broad strokes. :x

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:53 am

beats me wrote:All other categories are just a clusterfuck of whatever the developer thinks is the closest category and that's by broad strokes. :x
Have you seen "Entertainment"? I have no idea what that even entails. :x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:18 pm

starving student wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Not noticeable at all, it's all for the new display resolution. Honestly, other than the clearer display, it just feels like a thicker, heavier iPad2.
ok Tarekith your about the most trustworthy we've got in this homeless shelter we call the abe forum, if it wasn't for the ret display, would you have gotten the new one or just stuck with the ipad 2?
Since the retina display is the only reason to get it, no I would not have gotten the new one. I'm still really not going to use the camera on it, and I don't have a cellular version, so those points are moot. Take those away, and you just have a thicker, heavier version of the iPad 2.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:23 pm

I was told that next school term, there will be no new books. Only lots and lots of PDFs.

IPAD THREE! :x