APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
stromschleifen

Re: APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Post by stromschleifen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:25 pm

thanks for the quick reply. after my post, i kinda expected this myself, since mapping other functions outside the track itself did actually work.

febraro

Post by febraro » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi guys, I'm new to the Apc40 and I'm experiencing a problem I'm guessing must have a simple solution: like a lot of people, I decided to map the Tap Tempo button to clip loop on/off and the nudge-/nudge+ buttons to loop start/length. I can reassign them with no problem in Ableton, but afterwards only the Tap Tempo will actually perform the reassigned function when I press it, the nudge buttons will not affect the loop position, even though they are remapped to do so. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:16 pm

When using those three options in Live, this is how I apply the effect:
I get to the point on a clip where I want to begin looping, so I hit the Start button (not Loop). This tells Live where the beginning of a loop will be. Then I wait a bit and hit End. This is when Live decides to go back to playing from the start point and we have a loop. The Loop button is only hit when I want to stop looping. Attempting to hit it in order to Start a loop without designating a start point can have unpredictable results. So keep those functions in mind, and it might work properly :). If you have different intentions, don't be afraid to post what you are going for.

luko79

64_40 script freezing and crashing ableton

Post by luko79 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:01 pm

anyone using the Remote Script 64_40 , to make the apc40 into a step sequencer amoungst other things

suddenly mine now crashes ableton 100%. When using the apc40 in normal mode its fine but as soon as i switch to the apc64_40 scritp ion preferences ableton freezes then crashes

:(

any help appreciated

qwerty00

Post by qwerty00 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:37 am

I posted a thread in the help section but it may be more appropriate to post here:

Can somebody help me understand how to do what this guy did in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE78r2MEtjY I know you download a script from remotescripts.blogspot.com (which I dont know) and tweak some of the code then put it into a folder for ableton but I don't understand python so im not clear what to change to map my apc40 similar to this. Also when he mentions "having 4 audio and 4 return tracks in ableton..thats it." Can someone explain why you have to do that.

He mentions going to his site but there's nothing helpful there. Thanks to anyone who can help!

Muzik 4 Machines

Re:

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:13 am

Jesse wrote:You can continue to use the arrow keys to move past 125 scenes, sequentially or by bank, you just won't have the zoom-out banking selection beyond that. We argued long and hard over how to address this, and went for the way that makes the most intuitive sense: 64 tracks by 125 scenes.

With Max for Live, you could switch this to 200 scenes by 40 tracks, 1250 scenes by 8 tracks, but while all these modes are useful for some users, they are much more confusing in terms of how they are laid out. We went for the most common/easiest to understand method here.
Jesse
how can having only 5 or 6 songs is the most intuitive, i don't get it, what if i need to go from scene 40 to scene 800 to switch song? i need to go down 5 by 5 for 10 minutes?

Johnny Vulcan

Re: 64_40 script freezing and crashing ableton

Post by Johnny Vulcan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:44 am

luko79 wrote:anyone using the Remote Script 64_40 , to make the apc40 into a step sequencer amoungst other things

suddenly mine now crashes ableton 100%.
Yeah, have you checked to make sure you are running the Live 8.2.5 version of the script? Hanz updated it to match the new Live update.

[EDIT - crap, I see that Ableton is now version 8.2.6. Possibly you have the 8.2.5 or earlier remote script and the latest Live version, and that's where the problem is? (Changes to the framework can affect scripts).

quirksmode

Post by quirksmode » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:33 pm

I created a custom APC-40 template for DJing with Ableton aaaages ago, but been so slack at getting it online, I really need a kick up the ass so if anyone is interested in checking it out send me a message, would love to get some peoples feedback before I make it official.

It has loads of effects, instant looping (similar to traktor) and a ton of other stuff.

quirksmode

Post by quirksmode » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:36 pm

M for momentum wrote:Hi! I have a very large Ableton file with many, many rows of clips... going from top to bottom with the shift + bank select buttons doesn't go fast/easy enough and so I was wondering if it'd be possible to map the cue level knop to scroll the bank select up and down through my ableton file (without max for live)?
Hi mate, not sure if you still need this, but the custom midi template I created for Ableton does exactly this if you are interested. Drop me a message.

DJ TooHypE

Post by DJ TooHypE » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:26 am

quirksmode wrote:I created a custom APC-40 template for DJing with Ableton aaaages ago, but been so slack at getting it online, I really need a kick up the ass so if anyone is interested in checking it out send me a message, would love to get some peoples feedback before I make it official.

It has loads of effects, instant looping (similar to traktor) and a ton of other stuff.
Hi new too Ableton Live(The Bridge) & APC40(new) would you mind emailing me that template I def wouldn't mind checking it out. I am currently using Will Marshall APC40 template but def would like too check yours out as well... might have options/features I am looking for... going too PM my email address... Thank you
My DJ & Production gear Pioneer CDJ-400, Numark DXM-06, Rane SL4, Ableton Live 8+4 EIC/The Bridge/Puremagnetik Retro Synths, M4L, Akai APC40(New)& MPD24, Numark NPM5 Active 5" Studio Monitors, American Audio HP 700 & Sennheiser HD 201

lungdonor

Post by lungdonor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Help! I accidentaly unplugged my APC40 and it damaged physically the usb port. I would like to open the unit with a screw driver but there is a sticker that says : risk of electric shock do not open. It is really dangerous of is it just a thing to avoid trial? (or both!)

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:11 am

its just there for legal reasons, if it's unpugged from the AC there shouldnt be any residual current in there as there is no tubes or transformers inside

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:05 pm

Just revised te APC40 forum...

www.akaiapc40.com

Pop along and say hello!

Cheers
D

nennmichwieduwillst

Re: 64_40 script freezing and crashing ableton

Post by nennmichwieduwillst » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:44 am

luko79 wrote:anyone using the Remote Script 64_40 , to make the apc40 into a step sequencer amoungst other things

suddenly mine now crashes ableton 100%. When using the apc40 in normal mode its fine but as soon as i switch to the apc64_40 scritp ion preferences ableton freezes then crashes

:(

any help appreciated
which version of 64-40 do u use? as far i remember he updated this script after 825, cause it was incompatible with the "new" version.
im running 833 with the latest 64-40 and it works fine. except the extra-modi of trackcontroll-knobs are sometimes buggy, so i dont use it. but even this never crashed the whole live, it only dosnt work as expected (sometimes the wrong modi, no way back, etc.).

download an actuell version, delete the other one and try again.
Peace. Freedom. Truth!

revoltcrew

Post by revoltcrew » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:54 pm

Just upgraded my apc20-->apc40......what a difference ! kick ass..
no more "dump-ing" for my bcr2000. i can customMap the hell outa that..
and leave the racks for the apc..sweet.
dunno what i was thinking not having one of these..
anywho. word.
8)
100000greenCanaries are either violin0rGreen
http://sunfalls.org ||http://soundcloud.com/sunfalls || http://vimeo.com/sunfalls