iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
LoopStationZebra

Re: iPad

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:35 pm

45,000 VIEWS!!!

5000 REPLIES!!!

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:37 pm

An unfortunate side effect of the retina display on the new iPad is apps that are optimized for it are bigger files, some close to doubled. So 1G+ could become the norm for more quality apps. I also don’t think it matters if you have an early iPad. It’s still going to be the same file size. I think.

Something to consider if you’re hoping the 16G iPad is going to cut it for the foreseeable future.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:38 pm

Komodovaran wrote:I was told that next school term, there will be no new books. Only lots and lots of PDFs.

IPAD THREE! :x

So now we can expect bleeding heart commercials from the book printing industry. :x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:43 pm

beats me wrote:An unfortunate side effect of the retina display on the new iPad is apps that are optimized for it are bigger files, some close to doubled. So 1G+ could become the norm for more quality apps. I also don’t think it matters if you have an early iPad. It’s still going to be the same file size. I think.

Something to consider if you’re hoping the 16G iPad is going to cut it for the foreseeable future.
Most are more than doubled, almost 3 times the size. And they are that way for all iPads, not just the new one and the ipad2.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:45 pm

beats me wrote:An unfortunate side effect of the retina display on the new iPad is apps that are optimized for it are bigger files, some close to doubled. So 1G+ could become the norm for more quality apps. I also don’t think it matters if you have an early iPad. It’s still going to be the same file size. I think.

OMFG.

MANY DEVS WON'T OFFER 2 RESOLUTION VERSIONS THAT THE UPDATE/DOWNLOAD SYSTEM COULD AUTOMATICALLY IDENTIFY DEPENDING ON YOUR iPAD. THIS MEANS THAT I'M GETTING ALL THE NEW RETINA APPS THAT HAVE DOUBLED IN SIZE.

NOT A SINGLE UPDATE SO FAR HAS BEEN ANYTHING BUT RETINA.

LAZY ASSHOLES.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Tarekith wrote:
starving student wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Not noticeable at all, it's all for the new display resolution. Honestly, other than the clearer display, it just feels like a thicker, heavier iPad2.
ok Tarekith your about the most trustworthy we've got in this homeless shelter we call the abe forum, if it wasn't for the ret display, would you have gotten the new one or just stuck with the ipad 2?
Since the retina display is the only reason to get it, no I would not have gotten the new one. I'm still really not going to use the camera on it, and I don't have a cellular version, so those points are moot. Take those away, and you just have a thicker, heavier version of the iPad 2.
Agreed. I must say I feel sorry for those coming from an ipad 2 because they must have gotten so used to the size and weight. Even though the weight and thickness are just slightly more on the new ipad, it's probably noticeable. For me coming from the ipad 1, it's still getting smaller for me.

Tarekith, are you happy that you got the new one though? I'm personally thrilled with it. I had a moment of concern when I opened PDFs in goodreader only to find no change in clarity, however the image was amazing in ibooks and dropbox looking at PDFs. Turns out it's because they use the native PDF rending of the ipad and goodreader uses it's own, which has an update currently in review to bring up to par.

But I can't stress enough how many things I did not like to use the ipad for before. Even this forum, I wouldn't bother with the ipad 1. Get an older ipad side by side with the new one and open the abe forum on both. See the difference.

And actually, although I started collecting books as PDFs last year, I haven't started seriously using the ipad yet for reading PDF books. I had more been collecting them in anticipation of a retina display ipad. And web surfing is much better. So happy customer here.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:29 pm

Oh yeah, more than happy with it, though I guess it could seem like I wasn't based on some of my comments. Mainly just discussing some of the pros and cons for others that are maybe on the fence. I read a lot of epub articles and books, and do pretty much all my websurfing on the iPad now, so the new display is great. I just don't think the new update is as earth-shaterringly huge as some people are making it out to be. Had I not gotten a good deal on my iPad2 when I sold it (thank you clueless people on Craigslist), perhaps I would have been more hesitant.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:31 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:

OMFG.

MANY DEVS WON'T OFFER 2 RESOLUTION VERSIONS THAT THE UPDATE/DOWNLOAD SYSTEM COULD AUTOMATICALLY IDENTIFY DEPENDING ON YOUR iPAD. THIS MEANS THAT I'M GETTING ALL THE NEW RETINA APPS THAT HAVE DOUBLED IN SIZE.

NOT A SINGLE UPDATE SO FAR HAS BEEN ANYTHING BUT RETINA.

LAZY ASSHOLES.

Well hopefully this will inspire Apple to increase the maximum drive size on iPads. :x

And really, other than that what could Apple possibly do to make the next iPads even better? Well weight and thickness I guess. They certainly aren’t going to release an iPad Retro with 1990’s tech for starving student. :x

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Tarekith wrote:Oh yeah, more than happy with it, though I guess it could seem like I wasn't based on some of my comments. Mainly just discussing some of the pros and cons for others that are maybe on the fence. I read a lot of epub articles and books, and do pretty much all my websurfing on the iPad now, so the new display is great. I just don't think the new update is as earth-shaterringly huge as some people are making it out to be. Had I not gotten a good deal on my iPad2 when I sold it (thank you clueless people on Craigslist), perhaps I would have been more hesitant.
You posted it for sale as "the new ipad" didn't you? ;)
Professional Shark Jumper.

barryalva

Post by barryalva » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:18 pm

Last edited by barryalva on Thu May 24, 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:26 pm

barryalva wrote:I want to stick an SD card in the 30 pin slot :x
There’s an adaptor for that. :x

It's $29 because all Apple accessories are $29. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:56 pm

WTF does this mean?

http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-co ... more-29088

And explain it to me like I'm the 99%.

barryalva

Post by barryalva » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:56 pm

barryalva

Post by barryalva » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:59 pm

barryalva

Post by barryalva » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:06 pm