iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
regretfullySaid

Re: iPad

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:24 pm

Ha! Hey, now you get a backup camping stove!
ImageImage

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:27 am

Hey Gents, long time no talk and hope all is well.

I've wanted an iPad for a while but have never been able to justify the cost (to my wife).

I've been seeing some pretty good deals on first gen iPads via craigslist and such since the latest iPad launched. For example, I saw a 32 gig wifi 1st gen for $180 about a week ago.

Any thoughts on purchasing an older, used 1st gen iPad at a discount? I guess my main concern would be is it still going to be relevant? Would I be able to purchase and run some of these slick looking music apps I read about or would I get it home and find out nothing is able to run on it? Copping a new joint isn't an option at the moment, and I definitely go with a secodn gen if a good opportunity were to present itself - but I'd be fine with a first gen as well, provided I'd be able to use and enjoy it for a bit.

Thoughts and advice most welcome.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:40 am

^ first gen already has stuff that won't run on it and a lot of the devs seemed to have move on. depending on what you want it for getting it on the cheap might have an advantage. for all purpose she's already on the outs...

@ glitchrock - any gps apps will definitely hit a battery on a portable anything... there might be something more to the battery life with iPad 3 specifically, but turning those off, except when needed, will always bare fruit.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:43 am

Any of controller apps will work just fine with the 1st gen. No issues there.

Many synth apps will also be just fine: Korg iMS-20, NLogSynth, etc. The Moog one will stress out the processor if you leave the fancy graphics on and/or try and do multitasking with other instruments. I suspect this is more a bad coding issue than anything else. There's other synth apps which are doing just as complicated processes that don't freak out when you switch over to touchAble. lol.

All in all you'll be fine.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:09 am

Aya, thanks fellas! Sounds like a first gen will do me just fine for a bit. I'm interested in the controller apps mainly I think.

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:10 am

Shit, almost forgot -

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:21 am

I'd say get an iPad 2 over an iPad 1 any day. The 256 MB RAM provided in the first isn't enough for anything and I find it crashing way too often, let alone being equipped with a multitasking feature which is essentially useless as you won't have RAM enough.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:40 pm

^ I would disagree with that assessment. You make it sound as though the 1st gen was near worthless and that's not the case at all. :x

The only consistent crashes I ever have with my first gen is within the Safari browser - but that's nearly all the the fault of web developers implementing dodgy Flash Free versions of their websites because they've used poorly written java/HTML5 code.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:00 pm

Ya I can't say I get many problems with my ipad 1 either. Other than the blurriness of course. ;)
Professional Shark Jumper.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:47 pm

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:11 pm

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:22 pm

beeeeeeaaaaaaaatttttttttsssssssss!

:P

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:37 pm

I had to take a break from this thread with LSZ’s relentless disapproval of the new iPad and starving student’s ongoing filibustering an iPad purchase.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:03 pm

dammit beats, as you can see some very important deliberation has been going on, and while you've been out lollygagging around town with your considerable collection of apple stickers and harlots no doubt we have been in a joint session not seen since the likes of likes not seen, even smutek has come back from the dead to seek the wisdom of the oracles only to find you m.i.a. . One can only thank god, directly, in person, after a bad slip 'n fall in a shower, hasty walk across a busy street, or some other rather terrible tragedy that LoopsZ and GlitchB were here to provide the balance the universe has so sorely been lacking as of late......

Now I speak for each and every single soul out there in this great cosmos sitting on a fence of a fence of a fence when I say aye this is a very tough decision to make.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:22 pm

Ok well the iPad arrived that I ordered from apple, and I remembered that I did one of those custom inscriptions, so I thought what the heck, I'll take back the store bought one. I'm not sure if it's because I disabled location services on this one, but the battery seems to be dying far less quickly. And it didn't drain at all being unplugged all day.

So anyways, starving student, not a hard decision at all between iPads. Unless you have no respect for your eyes, get the third gen. What are the other options?
Professional Shark Jumper.