Question to iPad users (Re: Momentary)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beef_wellington

Question to iPad users (Re: Momentary)

Post by beef_wellington » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:48 pm

I just picked up an iPad an start messing around with TouchOSC. Before investing in other apps, I wanted to throw out a question for those with more experience. Can I create a fader that snaps back to a default value when released? I typically create racks that have a dry signal in the lowest chain select range (0-9 for example). I would like to touch a fader (or other object) that snaps back to the dry signal when released. If this is not possible, can I create a momentary button (without a need for Bomes, etc.). I know that Lemur has some pretty advanced functions, but couldn't find any info on momentary or release values.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Fizmarble

Re: Question to iPad users (Re: Momentary)

Post by Fizmarble » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Good question. Bump.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:33 pm

good question - theres a pretty active forum over there - http://hexler.net/forum/

find out and report back to us :wink:

beef_wellington

Post by beef_wellington » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:41 pm

After doing some research both can absolutely be done with the Lemur app through scripting. I just have to get a computer science degree to figure it out.
At first I thought the "z" variable might work on TouchOSC, but I couldn't get it working. The app's activity light shows a message being sent when I touch and release a pad, but Live would only see the first when mapping.

synnack

Post by synnack » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:05 pm

I think the short answer is no you can't.

http://hexler.net/docs/touchosc-control ... aderrotary

There is no message that gets sent when you lift your finger from a fader that you could use to trigger something. There IS a momentary push button though that sends a message when you lift your finger from a button, but not for a fader.

So the way i would approach this would be to put a button next to each fader and when i am done moving he fader, i'd hit the button to have the value (and fader) jump back to dry position.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

beef_wellington

Post by beef_wellington » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:17 pm

That is what I have setup now, which is nice, but would prefer to streamline into more Kaoss Pad-like functionality. I have a feeling I will be dropping $50 for the Lemur app before the night is over. Not sure how much scripting I can handle, though. Perhaps Live 9 will be shipping with a dedicated iOS app :)

deepdirtydub

Post by deepdirtydub » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:45 pm

Check out Touchable as well. Its got a "snap to original setting" feature for all device controls and the XY pad will blow your mind.

beef_wellington

Post by beef_wellington » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:19 am

Touchable looks really good, but looking for something more customizable. I have a feeling I will try Lemur, get frustrated with it's complexity, and end up just using TouchOSC.

kostianix

Post by kostianix » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:41 am

hi,

maybe this will help: http://www.osculator.net/forum/threads/ ... ch-bending

snapping back works fine here on touchOSC & osculator. it's much easier and more convenient with lemur, though..

The Landwhale

Post by The Landwhale » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:26 pm

beef_wellington wrote:That is what I have setup now, which is nice, but would prefer to streamline into more Kaoss Pad-like functionality. I have a feeling I will be dropping $50 for the Lemur app before the night is over. Not sure how much scripting I can handle, though. Perhaps Live 9 will be shipping with a dedicated iOS app :)
+1 on a dedicated iOS app. Ideally it would be similar to how Garageband for iOS as far as projects go, but with the flexibility to go back and forth. For instance, if you're working on Live 9 on desktop, you could export the project to iOS, which would freeze any tracks that use VST's or AU's, so they could be opened without issue on iOS, and vice versa. Big bonus if it also functioned as a MIDI/OSC controller app for Live 8/9 on the Mac.

I really hope this is part of what's taking Ableton so long to release the next version.

beef_wellington

Post by beef_wellington » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:09 pm

That sounds awesome (perhaps too ambitious for Ableton at the moment), but I'd settle for a nice control surface with some unique performance tools.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:18 pm

damn beef it's time for your yearly post already, how time flys, good to know you haven't succumbed to the rest of the world, be easy.

beef_wellington

Post by beef_wellington » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:57 am

As little as I post, I am in here daily. I suffer from thread-start anxiety, fearing judgement and RTFM comments.
I lurk and await the next "Famous people that use the APCxx" thread.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:16 am

:mrgreen:

beef_wellington

Post by beef_wellington » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Just to update... The Multislider object in the Lemur can snap back to a default value with physics enabled. Awesome function for the way I want to control FX Racks. No scripting or fancy expressions needed. It only took me 4 days to figure this out. The manual doesn't break things down quite simply enough for me, but there is enough to supplement in the Jazzmutant/Liine forums. They seem friendly enough in helping noobs get going.