Upgrade to Ableton 8 or wait?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
reso19khz

Upgrade to Ableton 8 or wait?

Post by reso19khz » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:28 pm

Hey to everyone,

I am thinking to upgrade from Ableton 7 to 8 but as you understand this is a very confusing time for upgrading.

What do you think?

Noone knows if Ableton will offer a special discount to people who recently upgrade to 8. It will be completely unreasonable to pay now for the upgrade just to find out that in a few months 9 is out and then need to pay another substantial amount to upgrade to 9.

XSIMan

Re: Upgrade to Ableton 8 or wait?

Post by XSIMan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Live 9 might come out next week or it might come out in three years, I know how you feel.
Last spring I was not sure if I should upgrade from Live intro thinking Live 9 was due out. Some guys on the forum persuaded me to upgrade back then. Here I am 12 months later and no screenshots or ETA on Live 9 so I would of held off a long time.

The Ableton lot are talented great guys but they are confusing with no info on what they are doing. I'm still unsure about buying Max for live what if Live 9 comes out a month later and it's included.
Last edited by XSIMan on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JMFOne

Post by JMFOne » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:41 pm

Im in the same boat. You can't be upgrading now it would be suicide so just sit tight and wait for either a discount or 9 to come out.
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

ark

Post by ark » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:42 pm

I guess the question is whether Live 8 offers anything that is more important to you than the risk of overpaying in the future for a product that does not currently exist.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:50 pm

for me, if i am thinking about doing it, i just do it....because otherwise, i just kind of obsess over it....ableton 8 (for me) is pretty rad....8 was my first version, so i don't know if 7 was better than 8...but if you are feeling limitations....just do it.
as far as will ableton release 9 or do a special offer, you never can tell....they just finished a special offer recently, i want to say? so i doubt they would have another one soon. as far as releasing 9....who knows? ....and anyways, if 9 is like what i assume 8 has been like for some peeps around here,(according to posts about how crappy 8 has been) it might not be usable for a bit?
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:40 pm

reso19khz wrote:Hey to everyone,

I am thinking to upgrade from Ableton 7 to 8 but as you understand this is a very confusing time for upgrading.

What do you think?

Noone knows if Ableton will offer a special discount to people who recently upgrade to 8. It will be completely unreasonable to pay now for the upgrade just to find out that in a few months 9 is out and then need to pay another substantial amount to upgrade to 9.
If you have 7 then there is no reason to upgrade to 8 unless you need specific features. Live 9 and bitwig should be coming around soon so i would wait because live 9 will have issues like other software upon initial release.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:37 pm

Wait for it.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:53 pm

put time in with the demo, if you can't go back because of Live 8's features then you'll know.

we don't know you personally, we don't know when Live 9 will be out.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

condra

Post by condra » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:31 pm

I can hardly remember what Live 8 brought to the table.

I still hate the new warp mode.
Grooves are cool if you make that sort of music.
Live 8 still records midi with shitty timing, just like 7 did, and just like 9 will.

I say wait.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:30 am

condra wrote:I can hardly remember what Live 8 brought to the table.
Sound on sound looping. Vocoder. Multiband compression. Easier creation of sub mixes with group tracks. Nothing game changing. Some handy stuff though.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:09 am

One thing you're assuming is that the upgrade from Live 7 to Live 9 will be the same as the price for Live 8 to Live 9. That may or may not be the case, not sure what it is currently.

When I upgraded from Live 5 to Live 7, it cost me a few bucks more to skip a version than it would have for someone only coming a version away. But it still cost me less than the price of two upgrades. I saved some money but not as much as I originally thought I would.
Last edited by icedsushi on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:10 am

oddstep wrote:
condra wrote:I can hardly remember what Live 8 brought to the table.
Sound on sound looping. Vocoder. Multiband compression. Easier creation of sub mixes with group tracks. Nothing game changing. Some handy stuff though.

Bad looper, bad vocoder, awful multi band, amp is worse than line 6 in reason and that is saying something.
grouping is ok, grooves are cool. acp LP the bridge are all fun. Again from 7 to 8 does not change much

Still unhappy about the ball games so I thought I'd be negative here (but still truthful) Save you cash
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 am

Tone Deft wrote:put time in with the demo, if you can't go back because of Live 8's features then you'll know.
+1

make the decision based on what you need.

Personally I couldn't live without group tracks, and most of the other things I like about 8 are small, but make a big difference to my workflow

but L9 hasn't even been announced, so it will be a while until you have a stable release ready to use in front of you....

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:58 am

why not just use the demo live 8 for the next month, I mean, it's free, and maybe they'll release 9 in the meantime, who knows?

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:10 am

HeadrickProductions wrote:... bad vocoder, awful multi band...
I think the Vocoder is excellent. It's one of the reasons I have not yet gone over to Presonus S1 (along with Sampler).

The Multiband compressor is also rather good - not the best I'm sure, but certainly good enough for me.

Didn't we also get the little Overdrive TS-808 emulator? That's quite good too although I still don't think software overdrives get it quite right. I still prefer the real thing.

And finally and most importantly in Live 8 we can now colour our track headers. :P

Actually, one other thing. Live 8 is pretty damn mature now and for me mostly crash free. I don't know whether I'll be upgrading so quick this time around.

Tony