Editing Audio in Session View

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
jkung

Editing Audio in Session View

Post by jkung » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:13 pm

Please let me be able to edit audio destructively in the session view. I understand there is clip view but this is far too limiting. I use ableton to produce music and record live instruments. If I were able to edit in this view as opposed to dragging to arrangement view, it would help immensely. I would even accept a 3rd party solution as i have adobe audition as well. PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

n8tron

Re: Editing Audio in Session View

Post by n8tron » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:40 pm

This would be awesome! For example if the clips duration never changed but you could cut out breaths or bits of audio...shift things around, add time, then it would automatically change the clip as such would be amazing. It could be a separate edit mode with it's own set of editing tools. All destructive but undo-able and no need to reconsolidate after. All within the same window you do your warping in.

...to add to this... how about clicking on the wave form actually starts playback from that point and also smart plays the rest of the clips in that scene from that section. So for edits that you want to listen to again and again you can just click in front of the edit, replay, edit, and repeat.

jkung

Post by jkung » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:11 pm

n8tron wrote: ...to add to this... how about clicking on the wave form actually starts playback from that point and also smart plays the rest of the clips in that scene from that section. So for edits that you want to listen to again and again you can just click in front of the edit, replay, edit, and repeat.

I completely agree. It is so annoying to audition a part of the clip and the rest of the song is off time. I would imagine this wouldn't be a difficult feature to be added as the editing capabilities are already in Live. Please make this happen ableton!

tom.luft

Post by tom.luft » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:22 am

+1
Live 11.0.2
Windows 10
i7 6700k, 16GB
Scarlett 18i8

petit nuage

Post by petit nuage » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:45 pm

+ 1000000000000000 !

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:58 pm

jkung wrote:I would even accept a 3rd party solution as i have adobe audition as well. PLEASE
hit ctrl+, to fget the preferences up, go to files and folders, setup audition as your sample editor.

select your clip, hit edit.
voila, third party editor.

jkung

Post by jkung » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:39 pm

friend_kami wrote:
jkung wrote:I would even accept a 3rd party solution as i have adobe audition as well. PLEASE
hit ctrl+, to fget the preferences up, go to files and folders, setup audition as your sample editor.

select your clip, hit edit.
voila, third party editor.
Does this automatically update the clip in Live? Can I set Audio Finder as my sample editor? This would still be a temp workaround for me because i would much rather be able to make edits while Live is playing so i can hear the edits in real time you know what i mean?

Inqy

Post by Inqy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:44 pm

jkung wrote:
n8tron wrote: ...to add to this... how about clicking on the wave form actually starts playback from that point and also smart plays the rest of the clips in that scene from that section. So for edits that you want to listen to again and again you can just click in front of the edit, replay, edit, and repeat.

I completely agree. It is so annoying to audition a part of the clip and the rest of the song is off time. I would imagine this wouldn't be a difficult feature to be added as the editing capabilities are already in Live. Please make this happen ableton!
yes!!!!!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:24 pm

+1 for editing in the clip view. There's actually some extensive ideas about this in another thread but don't care to look atm.
ImageImage

kmaaj

Post by kmaaj » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Old thread, I know, but why can't Ableton include a decent editor in what is otherwise an awesome DAW? There's quite a few of us out there that want to use this program for recording actual instruments in real time. A blown up view of the wave file, and the ability to splice anywhere on the track without snapping to a grid line dictated by beats or seconds, that would be PLENTY.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:11 am

I think developers aren't interested in using their time to implement destructive editing feature...

orbita

Post by orbita » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:07 pm

yes please! dragging back and forth continually is a right pain - trying to find the right track to drag to and then a slot on that track where there isnt already something... how do people manage to do this sanely?

Rootxp

Post by Rootxp » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:53 pm

This is a thread from 2010, tells you a lot about Abletons quickness of implementing intelligent, logical and requested Features... Wow. Please Ableton, wake up!
It can't be that Ableton is supposed to be a "LIVE" performance tool, yet you cant edit a recorded AudioClip on the fly.
No, you have to cut or copy the Clip, insert it in arrangement view, do the editing there, in some cases even have to select+consolidate, then cut it, and insert it in Session View again, hahaha! Please stop this madness, Ableton. Thank you! :)