How Does an Artist get their music on itunes?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
o0o

How Does an Artist get their music on itunes?

Post by o0o » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:05 pm

is this an open service or are there special requirements?
rabbit

supamonsta

Re: How Does an Artist get their music on itunes?

Post by supamonsta » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:53 pm

I think they visit http://www.google.com, and then they write "How Does an Artist get their music on itunes?" in the search window.

wait, I'm dumbass, I shall go to bed, sorry for that answer. Maybe dumbass, but I'm pretty sure my answer can actually be useful:

http://www.google.fr/#hl=fr&sclient=psy ... 66&bih=679

:lol:

g'dnite

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:18 am

I use reverbnation.com, though I admit I'm lazy and haven't checked in awhile to see if there's better deals out there.

synnack

Post by synnack » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:19 am

Back when I thought there was a point to charging for music i used Tunecore. Good service. http://www.tunecore.com/

Other popular option is CD Baby: http://members.cdbaby.com/
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

bertzerk

Post by bertzerk » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:45 am

question...do people make money from these sort of aggregator sites? 50 bucks for a lot of them, and they get you in itunes, amazon. etc...but do people come across your obscure label/album/single enough to make it worth it? anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:14 am

I have an email from tunecore in my inbox with a discount at the moment and was thinking about putting an album up

I've been releasing digital house music for a few years now and not earned a cent from it, so I'm not really thinking about trying to earn money from it, more as a way of getting some different (non-house) stuff out there and actually making it an album of songs as an artistic thing, as opposed to a bunch of tracks that will gradually become more and more meaningless as the years go by and they move from hard drive to hard drive ;)

I think there's more chance of selling a CD at a gig if you're not a well known artist.

But then when contacting people I guess it's good for it to at least be available on there.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:09 am

I sold self published CDs and t-shirts for thousands of euros over the years (on concerts), but made less than 50 euros via bandcamp and another shop.

but then again I never promoted my music in any way on the internet.

o0o

Post by o0o » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:33 am

so then maybe my question should have been which is the best aggregator site to use, and also is there no way to go direct?

@ mr. monsta, thank you for the google tip, but I belong to a forum of musicians and we talk about stuff like this all the time here, you're welcome to join us.
rabbit

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:19 pm

@ mr. monsta, thank you for the google tip, but I belong to a forum of musicians and we talk about stuff like this all the time here, you're welcome to join us.
hey right, I was trolling and not funny ;)

good luck with your tracks distribution

BTW, what is this forum of musicians you belong to? :lol:

cheeers

synnack

Post by synnack » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:56 pm

o0o wrote:so then maybe my question should have been which is the best aggregator site to use, and also is there no way to go direct?

No you cannot go direct. Unless you start your own aggregator business and sign a contract with apple...

As I recall, there were different fee structures with the Aggregators. CD Baby took a cut of every sale but there was no yearly charge. Tunecore give you more money per sale but you had to pay every year or something to keep your stuff up there. It depends on how much you expect to sell which model works out better for you financially.

I did indeed make money selling on iTunes (sold more than it costs) but i was also touring and actively promoting at the time.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Gregory Wells-King

Post by Gregory Wells-King » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:41 pm

CD Baby did what they agreed to when I posted an LP a few years ago, since then I've removed it, but I can vouch for CD Baby being the best way to managae a new release, and I will use the service again, once I've managed to make something worth selling. I self mastered the CD, which at the time was a bad idea. :|

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:48 pm

I sell stuff on Bandcamp, mainly because it's free and easy. I set up my songs to stream on Soundcloud, and then I use the "Buy" link on Soundcloud to link directly to the Bandcamp page. Bandcamp is then linked to Paypal, which makes it easy for people to buy songs. I feel that Soundcloud is likely the best way to build a community of listeners, and Bandcamp is likely the best way to sell for free, where they make money off the purchase fees. No having to pay Tunecore on a per song/album/release basis. The disadvantage is that Bandcamp doesn't pupulate Amazon or Itunes like Tunecore does.

But I concur with the sentiment of others...online selling is likely not going to make you a ton of money, IMHO. Playing out and selling CDs is probably a better way to make money off music. Also, consider licensing your music for compilations, commercials, or movies...there's decent money in that.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:59 pm

^-- +1 + taxi.com

When I wondered if you could sell your own music on itunes I looked for help on itunes and found an answer, just thought I'd throw it out there.
ImageImage

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:44 pm

Also look at catapultdistribution.com, deal is similar to CDBaby but I think cheaper, and it's good if you only need to get your music on digital music stores without all the extras.
nebulae wrote:But I concur with the sentiment of others...online selling is likely not going to make you a ton of money, IMHO. Playing out and selling CDs is probably a better way to make money off music. Also, consider licensing your music for compilations, commercials, or movies...there's decent money in that.
+1. Unless you're Pomplamoose digital sales and online promo just won't replace going out, playing and selling your music directly. It's just a complement.

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2