"Beat the Clock Contest"!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sporkles

"Beat the Clock Contest"!

Post by sporkles » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:59 am

In their newsletter, Ableton wrote:Also, watch out for the upcoming Beat the Clock contest in mid-May. This challenge involves sounds from several world-renowned artists, your production skills, the SoundCloud community, and a ticking clock. Prizes include a trip to Berlin, lifetime Ableton Suite upgrades and more...
Seems exciting! Any thoughts on this?

amigo

Re: "Beat the Clock Contest"!

Post by amigo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:24 pm

Here's the full article.

It sounds like an interesting competition and will probably give it a go.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:05 pm

actually...
I don't see the point in it..
(other than a gimmick)

WHY is it against the clock ? why not a sensible deadline?
(like.. a week..)
what good can come of it ?
surely not quality..

taffmonster

Post by taffmonster » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:07 pm

I'm looking forward to it.

can't wait intact. I usually finish most songs in a day.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:33 pm

Gathering shits which are finished in a day? :lol: I can't get the point of it other than that they don't want to judge songs but want to pick randomly.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:57 pm

It's interesting to see what you can do in a limited amount of time. Pushing yourself to make something as good as possible in a short amount of time like your life depends on it can be fun and productive. If you have to, stock up on stuff that will keep you awake and full of energy and get in the zone like a near death experience! I might do it if I remember.
ImageImage

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:26 pm

shadx312 wrote:It's interesting to see what you can do in a limited amount of time.
Very true and I've never been to Berlin...and I know it's marketing,but..

modecai

Post by modecai » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:06 pm

so pumped for this. Love the artists involved.

tigali

Post by tigali » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:07 pm

How are they choosing the winner? Not some lame-ass get your friends to vote shit is it?

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:47 pm

tigali wrote:How are they choosing the winner? Not some lame-ass get your friends to vote shit is it?
Why? You no friends?
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

modecai

Post by modecai » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:47 pm

tigali wrote:How are they choosing the winner? Not some lame-ass get your friends to vote shit is it?
hopefully not!

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:35 pm

3dot... wrote:actually...
(other than a gimmick)

(like.. a week..)
surely not quality..
Here are my thoughts...

1. It limits the amount of entries. The amount of people who can make this window of opportunity work for them is far less than if you had a week or a month. This means not as much to filter through and judge.

2. It favors those who are confident and familiar with Live. This eliminates a layer of users who are not that committed to the software.

3. It favors people who are confident with the music production process. This will generate a level of quality of entries.

4. It favors electronic musicians, Abletons primary market.

I think that you will find that quality will be the result due to the time pressures. :)
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:44 pm

3dot... wrote:actually...
(other than a gimmick)

(like.. a week..)
surely not quality..
One of the songs in my current set was done in 24 hours. I was using Live and Logic networked together with an audio streaming software program called Wormhole between a laptop and desktop to use Logics convolution reverb and a few other things in tracks in Live, so I didn't want to lose the connection and have to worry about setting not matching etc. The limitation proved useful as I had to commit and actually finish the song in 24 hours as I figured that was the longest period of time to expect this tenuous setup to work out.

Limitations are useful, I'll definitely submit something. I like that you have over a week to choose your 24 hours in. :)

bicarbone

Post by bicarbone » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:13 pm

I'm wondering whether we have to use only the provided sounds or if we can add our owns. Abes, please shed some light.
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:30 pm

Looks they they didn't point that out! I hope not and I wish more contests didn't allow it because it gives unfair advantages. How so, might you ask?

1. You could already have a great set and just load the new sounds in and replace old ones or just add them.

2. Some could use well produced samples where no skill in mixing and writing is required; they just paint by numbers.

The big part in general with contests that allow outside content is the pre-meditation. Hell, even allowing 3rd party synths and effects. But it could also depend on the contest.
It just doesn't make a level playing field and covers up skill parts of the contest.

Limits are good!
ImageImage