Elektron Octatrack Review

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Elektron Octatrack Review

Post by Tarekith » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:16 pm

Finally got some time to write my review on the Elektron Octatrack:

http://tarekith.com/elektron-octatrack-review/

aikighost

Re: Elektron Octatrack Review

Post by aikighost » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:19 am

I agree with most of what you say about the octatrack. But there are a few things I find really annoying.

1. The limitation to 8 tracks means that if I want to do complex beats I end up either suing a lot of loops (not my thing) or I have to put multiple samples on the same track which is both awkward and counter intuitive IMHO. If Id been on the design team I would have insisted we got 16 tracks like the machinedrum.

2. 4 parts per bank instead of 16? WFT? Worst deign decision ever. This means I cant have a different sample setup per pattern I have to share 1 sample bank amongst 4 patterns. Yet again counter intuitive and goes against what machinedrum users are used to.

3 Last but not least. Over complicated sampling. I've had the octatrack fro 6 months now and I still cant reliably remember how to do sampling and have to grab the manual. In fact its gotten to the point that I now tend t sample in my PC and just transfer via USB. How can a sampler make sampling so awkward? I never had this kind of trouble with my Korg ESX1
http://TechnoMusicNews.com/ - Techno news & mixes

Send me a decent techno or minimal mix and I guarantee a decent number of listens.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:36 am

Good review, however it has only confirmed that I won't be getting one of these. Overpriced and limited IMO.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

tigali

Post by tigali » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:04 pm

I must say I'm mystified that no company seems to have cracked what so many people want. Basically, Ableton in a box. If the MPC 500 or the Octatrack had managed it either one of them could have become HUGE. Instead they both have their problems/limitations. I think the Octatrack have come closer but 8 tracks? Double that, at least. And simplify the processes. I'm looking to make my own mutant: The front of the BCR2000, The pads of the Korg PadKontrol and the mind of Ableton Live in one box...with batteries. I'm gonna make billions.

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Tarekith wrote:Finally got some time to write my review on the Elektron Octatrack:

http://tarekith.com/elektron-octatrack-review/
Had one of those. Loved it. Sold it. Ableton still reigns. Too pricey for the gimmicks imo.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:18 pm

great review, kind of been waiting for you to do one, thanks

@tigali, actually it's been done already, it was called the yamaha su700 and if they did a 2012
version of it it would be just that 'ableton in a box' it was a great and groundbreaking piece at
it's time.

tigali

Post by tigali » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:32 am

Also meant to say thanks for the great review. Really comprehensive.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:05 am

thank you
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

rydn

Post by rydn » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Very helpful review, thanks.

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:50 am

Thank you. Intersting review and Ienjoyed your down tempo set

runningoutofspace

Post by runningoutofspace » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:21 pm

Nice review.

I've had the Octatrack since November and a few months ago I spent two straight weeks just trying to get my head around all that it can do and what I wanted to do with it. I found that I'm a bit more reserved (or grounded) in the way I that go about using it because the endless capabilities can sometimes lead to nowhere or a point of no return. The Octatrack shines when you give it a specific purpose amongst other gear and don't try to make it a "jack-of-all-trades". I control it through Live and have begun offloading duties from Live to other hardware which I can give specific purposes, provide stabilty in Live and function in and outside of the box.

The bottomline is that you have to find a way to best use it. A lot of people have sold theirs for whatever reasons, be it the financial state of the world, disappointment in expectation that it would have 16 "Easy" buttons, or a lack of dedication. I, personally, don't think that it is bad to try to make it a jack-of-all-trades but IMHO, the Octatrack shines best when it has a specific purpose amongst a complete system and you aren't trying to make it do everything while getting to complex with every capability.

and....
LeifonMars wrote:Had one of those. Loved it. Sold it. Ableton still reigns. Too pricey for the gimmicks imo.
Gotta update that gear list in your signature if you've parted with it.
http://www.runningoutofspace.com
Xone:DB4/Xone:K2s; CDJ-2000NXSs & SL-1210 MK5Gs
Live 9Suite/Max 6, Push, Xone:DB2, Rhizome SXE Custom, Sync-Gen Pro II.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Curious. I was so impressed by the MD UW I put an Octatrack on order, arrives tomorrow. I just like that Elektron sound, plus I got the time to learn new stuff. I'm kind of blown away daily, but the new shit I come up with on the MD. I'm excited for the Octatrack
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:47 pm

It is AWESOME!

biologik

Post by biologik » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:24 pm

djadonis206 wrote:Curious. I was so impressed by the MD UW I put an Octatrack on order, arrives tomorrow. I just like that Elektron sound, plus I got the time to learn new stuff. I'm kind of blown away daily, but the new shit I come up with on the MD. I'm excited for the Octatrack
I think you're my doppelganger. I too was so blown away by the MDUW that I bought an OT... today in fact.
*shakes your hand*

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:56 am

I cant wait to get one of these.
I'm doing the Tempest first, then Octatrack though.