why is 'Map to all siblings' a hidden function?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
siliconarc

why is 'Map to all siblings' a hidden function?

Post by siliconarc » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:49 pm

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 7#p1387347

found this function a few weeks back courtesy of another user who posted hidden options.txt commands from the Live package.

it's a function that has been asked for for years now (http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96807), turns out it exists, works great, but it's not been added officially. how come? whats the deal, abes? was it going to be left out of 8 and added as an upgrade feature in 9, or is the feature just buggy and still in testing?

anyway i use it a lot now, so er... thanks!?

gp23

Re: why is 'Map to all siblings' a hidden function?

Post by gp23 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. I'd have missed it otherwise. Frustratingly, I could have really used this functionality a few years ago when I was using a lot of macro mapping (I started a thread about it) - not so much these days, but still very good to have it.

I'd also like to know why this feature was hidden when it was obviously so useful to many users.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:16 am

it was actually there in an early alpha of Live 8, but they removed it because there were a few problems with it and from memory it was not consistent and didn't always work as behaved, which I think they felt could potentially cause a lot of confusion. I didn't know they had even brought it back in options.txt

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:39 am

Forge. wrote:it was actually there in an early alpha of Live 8, but they removed it because there were a few problems with it and from memory it was not consistent and didn't always work as behaved, which I think they felt could potentially cause a lot of confusion. I didn't know they had even brought it back in options.txt
YOU"RE IN ON IT! YOU"RE ONE OF THEM! :x

srsly... 8 alpha? over 3 years ago. when 8 was in beta people were asking for this feature. and it was already there but it didnt work quite right, so they canned it? for 3 years? i get it might have been buggy but... "caused a lot of confusion"?

they really don't give any requested features away for free, do they?

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:09 am

garyboozy wrote:
Forge. wrote:it was actually there in an early alpha of Live 8, but they removed it because there were a few problems with it and from memory it was not consistent and didn't always work as behaved, which I think they felt could potentially cause a lot of confusion. I didn't know they had even brought it back in options.txt
YOU"RE IN ON IT! YOU"RE ONE OF THEM! :x

srsly... 8 alpha? over 3 years ago. when 8 was in beta people were asking for this feature. and it was already there but it didnt work quite right, so they canned it? for 3 years? i get it might have been buggy but... "caused a lot of confusion"?

they really don't give any requested features away for free, do they?
well, that's how I remember it because I remember bitching when they got rid of it, honestly I wouldn't quote me on the reasons - like you say it was 3 years ago! But I guess they had to have a good reason..

taffmonster

Post by taffmonster » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:37 am

There's an options.txt ?

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:21 pm

(sorry forge - didnt mean to sound like i was having a pop at you, was just venting)

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:19 pm

///

TheUriah

Post by TheUriah » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:52 pm

It doesn't work entirely right. It's great, and I use it, but sometimes it's just plain wrong. For example. if you have multiple chains with vastly different settings, and you have the ON/OFF of a device buried within a chain of devices, and you have that device in all the chains, but not in the same config, mapping it to macros via Map To Siblings will almost definitely map the wrong stuff on other chains.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue May 01, 2012 2:20 am

garyboozy wrote:(sorry forge - didnt mean to sound like i was having a pop at you, was just venting)
no worries - I knew what you meant! ;-)

condra

Post by condra » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:13 pm

bump. this is retarded.

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:00 pm

They should fix the issues with it and include it already...