clips playing BOTH in session AND arrangement in 8.3

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
F.B.

Re: clips playing BOTH in session AND arrangement in 8.3

Post by F.B. » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:16 am

ok, once and for all: I clicked on stop button even before it was suggested here, thank you.

but when I go back and trigger another clip in session anew, ANY clip in ANY track in ANY scene, I hear the playback of what's in arrangement.

I didn't used to hear that before (i.e. the red button was lit and no clip nor automation in arrangement was heard).

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:38 am

so settled... it's a bug!

did you try the uninstall/reinstall route....?

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:02 pm

F.B. wrote:but when I go back and trigger another clip in session anew, ANY clip in ANY track in ANY scene, I hear the playback of what's in arrangement.
Not to doubt your report but that still doesn't answer the question of whether you hear stuff from session AND arrange in the SAME track simultaneously. Do you see? Maybe that matters or maybe it doesn't but it might tell something about what's going on there.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:17 pm

F.B. wrote:ok, once and for all: I clicked on stop button even before it was suggested here, thank you.
Sorry to harp on about this but do you mean the "stop" button or the "stop clips" button, there is a BIG difference.

please understand I'm only trying to help - I used to get in a muddle over this all the time.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:36 pm

And that's the "stop clips" button, not a "clip stop" button lol. ;)

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Is the OP the only person on 8.3? Anyone else get this?

F.B.

Post by F.B. » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:55 pm

crumhorn wrote:
F.B. wrote:ok, once and for all: I clicked on stop button even before it was suggested here, thank you.
Sorry to harp on about this but do you mean the "stop" button or the "stop clips" button, there is a BIG difference.

please understand I'm only trying to help - I used to get in a muddle over this all the time.
look: I clicked the goddam "stop clips" button, i.e. the one that was in the picture in one of the previous replies :D :D

sorry but it does not solve the issue.

and if I click on a clip in track 1 in session, the same clip in track 1 in arrangement does play and it is faded in colour (this shouldn't happen at the same time).

when a track in arrangement is faded in colour - please allow me to use this phrase - it usually means that the track in arrangement DOES NOT play.

more so: EVERY clip in EVERY track in arrangement plays, even if they are all faded in colour and even if the automations are coloured brown and not shiny red/pink/whatever the f**k we wanna call the colour when the red "back to arrangement" button is not lit. :D :D

I can hear the automations' effects on the tracks in arrangement even if they are brown and faded in colour (goddamit I feel like a retard using this phrase :lol: :lol:)

and: NO, I'd like NOT to use the "8.2.something" version now.

I hate it when they advertise an update and it f***s up :evil: :evil:

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:47 pm

Every clip in the arrangement, at the current play position, is supposed to play by default, even when you have clips running in the session view and the "back to arrangement" button is highlighted red. But yes, if an arrangement clip plays simultaneously with a session view clip, on the same channel, then it's an anomaly.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm here on 8.3 and it's working like it should, if I launch a clip in session it will stop what's playing on this track in arrangement view.

Man are you sure you external audio device is rightly configured??????????????????
That's the only thing I can see [nothing set for pre-listening/cue?]

I don't understand why you're so much camping on your position about using 8.2.x
Come on have a bit of common sense, you are obviously complicating your life simply by not using previous version.
There's no matter of compatibility here between a project created in 8.3 or 8.2.X

You got no excuses.
Report the bug and use a previous version by waiting

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:25 pm

I hope you'll excuse more questions and suggestions of unlikely possibilities as well intentioned attempts at diagnosis.

Does it happen in every set? Could you test a new one?

Is there a full mixdown on a track somewhere? Some stuff frozen?

F.B.

Post by F.B. » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Hermanus wrote: Man are you sure you external audio device is rightly configured??????????????????
That's the only thing I can see [nothing set for pre-listening/cue?]

I don't understand why you're so much camping on your position about using 8.2.x
the external soundcard is perfectly configured.

and in the end I will go back to 8.2.x for sure. but it gets on my nerves when updates don't work fine, but that's me and I know it's kinda odd.

it's unusual, though. never happened before in ableton that an update wouldn't work perfectly right away.

to be quite honest, and come think of it, at the same time that this is happening, my rme digicheck isn't working anymore.

no totalyser, no spectrum, nothing.

but that's not only in ableton. every audio I play on my imac doesn't generate any graph on the digicheck.

might have something to do with the whole thing????
massenmedium wrote:I hope you'll excuse more questions and suggestions of unlikely possibilities as well intentioned attempts at diagnosis.

Does it happen in every set? Could you test a new one?

Is there a full mixdown on a track somewhere? Some stuff frozen?
no problem and thanks for your further help. please feel free to ask.

indeed it has happened on only one set but I have worked only on one set so far. actually updated 3 days ago.

no stuff frozen.

didn't quite get the "mixdown" question but no, every track in arrangement is a single part of a tune (kick, bass, hi-hat and so on). no full mixdown on any track. is that what you mean?