Bitwig getting carried away...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
phonographiq

Bitwig getting carried away...

Post by phonographiq » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:54 am

I mean, is it just me?
How do they get away with it? It seems like some people here have mistaken Bitwig's teaser screenshots for Ableton. I know it was created by former alumni but there seems to be a lot of intellectual and aesthetic "sampling" going on here.
rhythmic surrealism / philadelphia / $$$
http://soundcloud.com/phonographiq

Linear Phase

Re: Bitwig getting carried away...

Post by Linear Phase » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:27 am

If Live v9 is awesome. That will take care of that. If Live v9 is on the Cubase 6.5 level of audio editing, the PT Level. If Live v9 is the be all, end all of dj ---> production... Than Bitwig will be another daw, in a sea of daws, that rips off, but never really amounts.

There are a zillion synths. 1 Reaktor. A million daws. 1 PT HD. A hundred thousand trackers. 1 Renoise.

Ableton needs to raise the bar with Live v9. True professional production. Super audio editing. Mastering quality effects. Excellent stability.

Ableton can do this. But Ableton team must want it bad enough. The users can only enjoy the end result. beg for features, and request bug fixes... But only the team who makes the product, can create a product that creates true excitement.
Linear Phase has left the building..

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:02 am

Linear Phase wrote:There are a zillion synths. 1 Reaktor. A million daws. 1 PT HD. A hundred thousand trackers. 1 Renoise.
This is a great way to look at it. I'd also argue that there is only one ableton live. Now they just need to step up to the challenge and remain ahead of the innovation curve.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

phonographiq

Post by phonographiq » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:32 pm

At this point I really could give a damn about 9.
So far as I'm concerned, 8 still provides me with an "ah-ha!" moment every day I use it.
rhythmic surrealism / philadelphia / $$$
http://soundcloud.com/phonographiq

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:00 pm

The better Bitwig will be, the better for us Ableton users in actually getting what we want (and beyond) in future versions of Ableton.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:34 pm

anybody that's used Live could make a DAW just like it.

so the Bitwig guys worked at Ableton, yeah, and there's LOTS of talk about how Live could use a ground up re-write. so what good does that do to know how the old busted code works? it gives them a leg up but while Bitwig have been coding a new DAW the sentiment is that Ableton have been doing a big push to re-write their code. if nothing else Ableton has been silent and coding away for a LONG time, writing stuff that the Bitwig people never saw.

competition is good.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:41 pm

the only thing Bitwig is getting carried away by are all the posters who think it's the second coming of Christ based on screenshots.

demo or STFU

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:58 pm

phonographiq wrote:At this point I really could give a damn about 9.
So far as I'm concerned, 8 still provides me with an "ah-ha!" moment every day I use it.
yes!! well said

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 pm

Tone Deft wrote:if nothing else Ableton has been silent and coding away for a LONG time, writing stuff that the Bitwig people never saw.

competition is good.
This is where my money is..

I really hope the bitwig beta comes out soon so Ableton knows what they're up against, and starts to pull out some trump cards.

Linear Phase

Post by Linear Phase » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:58 pm

cotdagoo wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:if nothing else Ableton has been silent and coding away for a LONG time, writing stuff that the Bitwig people never saw.

competition is good.
This is where my money is..

I really hope the bitwig beta comes out soon so Ableton knows what they're up against, and starts to pull out some trump cards.

Yeah, well.. Like I said above.. If Ableton Live v9 rules.. Than bitwig is toast.. and post haste. Another daw, another synth, another eq... its getting boring. I don't even pay attention, to all these releases, from all these companies anymore. Ohm Force has a daw coming too........ YAWN... YAWN....
Linear Phase has left the building..

ksonic

Post by ksonic » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:24 am

I can't wait for either one of them.

I can't wait for Bitwig because it will be great for a few reasons. First, it's a new(ish) program, has many re-worked features which will improve workflow, a shiny new interface, and some collaborative elements on the horizon. While it's obvious that there has been "sampling" going on, I expect to see Ableton take some cues from the Bitwig team.

I can't wait for Live 9 because Live 9.
“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” -Stephen R. Covey

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:31 am

phonographiq wrote:At this point I really could give a damn about 9.
+1

all these moaners just want Newness For Newness' sake. I'll be very psyched *when* it comes out and is a reality, but bitching and moaning about not having it Right Now is absurd.

I mean, how many competent, talented musicians are sitting around going, "jeez, my latest songs just can't be finished at a professional level because Live 9 isn't here yet to offer me as-yet-unknown cutting edge new features!"

answer = zero.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:39 am

Yeah I'm definitely in the camp of liking what I have now.
Off hand comment though, it took Opcode Studio Vision roughly three years of no upgrades to go under back in 2001, whereas now 2 years is pretty standard between upgrades. Things have changed for sure.

toph

Post by toph » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:27 am

Machinesworking wrote:Yeah I'm definitely in the camp of liking what I have now.
+1

...but
Machinesworking wrote:Off hand comment though, it took Opcode Studio Vision roughly three years of no upgrades to go under back in 2001, whereas now 2 years is pretty standard between upgrades. Things have changed for sure.
I upgraded to Live 8 at April, 2nd 2009 ... what is three years ago now. ;)

massenmedium

Post by massenmedium » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:18 pm

Keep your wig on.