Can I run Ableton across two computers?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
interFEAR

Can I run Ableton across two computers?

Post by interFEAR » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:09 am

I normally do most of my Ableton work through my desktop. However, when I'm travelling I like to use my Macbook. The issue is when I want to work on tracks that are on the desktop.

Is there a way to keep everything identical across both computers so that when I want to work on a track, the samples, temp files and the rest will be on the Macbook?

ttilberg

Re: Can I run Ableton across two computers?

Post by ttilberg » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:28 am

Drop box is probably your best bet. Its what I do and works perfect for me. Exact same situation.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:35 am

If you don't already have an account with Dropbox, please consider using my referral link so we can both get an extra 500 mb

http://db.tt/KK3GED4
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

interFEAR

Post by interFEAR » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:12 am

I don't want to go online to get it as I won't always have access. I want to be able to copy everything across in one hit.

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:42 am

I generally just copy individual tracks as and when. It would be great to have a way to sync the relevant folders- Tracks, library, recordings, etc.

There must be a way. Preferably cross platform.

dokx

Post by dokx » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:54 am

interFEAR wrote:I don't want to go online to get it as I won't always have access. I want to be able to copy everything across in one hit.
You don't have to be online all the time for Dropbox access. Just sync at home (via LAN), then you have your notebook ready on the road.

ark

Post by ark » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:20 am

I think that if you can get your Mac to present its filesystem on a network that Windows can read, which you can see how to do here, you can then install Synctoy on your PC and use it to keep your Ableton libraries in sync with each other on the two machines.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:44 am

Synctoy

Thanks ark, just what I've been looking for. :D

interFEAR

Post by interFEAR » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:23 am

Yep. Fantastic! Thanks a lot mate.

ark

Post by ark » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:58 pm

Just be aware that the first time you run it, it builds up a database of every file in your library, and that can take a very long time. On my 100+-gigabyte Ableton library, it takes about two days. But once the database has been built, it's much faster--typically less than half an hour. If your library is smaller, it will run much faster.

Folders with lots of files in them seem to slow it down particularly, and some of my sample libraries have literally thousands of files on a single folder. Those take up most of the time.

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Piece of advice do not use audio units on the mac as when you go to open the song up in the pc bingo - no audio units - incomplete song .

Always use VST inst or fx that way its pc to mac transferable always
Last edited by jamief on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

interFEAR

Post by interFEAR » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:27 pm

jamief, does Ableton store these as temp files somewhere that I can transfer across?

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:35 pm

interFEAR wrote:jamief, does Ableton store these as temp files somewhere that I can transfer across?
all you need to do is " collect all and save" each song you wish to transfer so that it collects all your data ie samples and anything else. Doing this ensures you have everything you need to open up that song on another computer PC or MAC.
You must ensure though that the VST inst or fx used in your song installed on the first computer are installed also on the computer you are transfering your song to open up in.

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:21 pm

check out gobbler.com

back up utility and you can share projects with people for collaborations, in the program just send it to yourself