Looking back... At yourself.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Mint Invader

Looking back... At yourself.

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Ever look back at how dorky you may (or may not) have been.

Just reflecting on how as I made the transition from fan to participant in music... Fanboy syndrome was pretty intensified.

Anyone else look back... or am I just nostalgic like that.
Because Whatever.

regretfullySaid

Re: Looking back... At yourself.

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:13 pm

When I had some home videotapes brought back from storage in another state and decided to digitize them,
I didn't realize how much I was hugely a dork. EMBARRASSINGLY. I was disgusted actually and amazed noone told this to my face (to my memory).
If you think my sense of humor is bad now, multiply that x10 back then.

There's one part when my stepdad wanted me to hammer some nails into a makeshift trailer hitch thing, and I made this widening stance with my legs and gripped the hammer with 2 hands being so careful. I had to burn the tapes.

I only remember being called a dork once but that was from the son of the soccer coach when he told me to pass the ball to him. That triggered me to make a somewhat lucky goal instead.

It's something I've slowly come to terms with but still need to fully accept.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:19 pm

As far as age related fanboyism or going all in on a certain scene, I think that's normal for the late teens and early 20's and nothing to be ashamed of. I have no regrets about my metal turned to goth years. I enjoyed them.

However if you're still emoing it up or whatever into your mid 30's and beyond, then yeah, it's just kind of sad.

I remember going to a NIN concert a few years back and it was like the crowd all aged together. I don’t remembering seeing anybody all decked out in vinyl pants and fishnets and the likes which was the norm during their peak. Now the crowd was all about jeans and a t-shirt. It was sort of comforting.

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:21 pm

I used to be a ponytailed dungeons & dragons player.

Now I live in trendy east London, have a beard and smoke roll ups just like the cool kids.

Unfortunately, I'm still a talentless hack who doesn't have a girlfriend. But you know, it's progress.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:34 pm

I just remembered a particularly painful episode in my informative years that still gives me the idiot shivers.

It was my sophomore year of high school and I was deep in my rocker phase with the long hair and all. My hair was straight but the wavey long hair was in. So I decided to go to a salon and have it waved up a bit but the dipshit who fully knew what the style I was going for used curlers that were way too small and I got a full on perm. Imagine being a dude showing up to school with a full on perm. I remember a guy in my drivers ed class who sat in front of me kept turning around and laughing his ass off.

Nowadays kids kill themselves over passing comments made on facebook. Fucking pussies. I’m a survivor!

:x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:30 pm

Dear God if only a picture of that was saved.

Andydes, roll up smokes taste better and all the toxic shit is in the filters anyway.

Elementary and middle school were my dorkiest. It's still always been present, just less on display since HS. Actually now what dorkiness there is I think is more geekiness, like film and music.
There was a short D&D period in middle school but I think only for a summer.
I got pretty heavy into Rush though, at least up until Moving Pictures; wasn't feeling the change after that.
I still don't consider Iron Maiden dorky.
ImageImage

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:57 pm

shadx312 wrote:Dear God if only a picture of that was saved.

Andydes, roll up smokes taste better and all the toxic shit is in the filters anyway.

Elementary and middle school were my dorkiest. It's still always been present, just less on display since HS. Actually now what dorkiness there is I think is more geekiness, like film and music.
There was a short D&D period in middle school but I think only for a summer.
I got pretty heavy into Rush though, at least up until Moving Pictures; wasn't feeling the change after that.
I still don't consider Iron Maiden dorky.

Yea, my middle school days were filled with the akward.
Because Whatever.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:21 pm

Curlers wtf :lol:
Nowadays kids kill themselves over passing comments made on facebook. Fucking pussies. I’m a survivor!
No shit, they either kill themselves or shoot em up. There's no class in that either (no pun intended). You learn how to fight and use your fists if you're not clever enough with words or other deathless schemes.
It's not even worth it getting worked up about fitting in with people who aren't worth worrying about anyway. Reminds me of a quote I saw in a yearbook from a girl I was too shy to talk to
"Don't worry about what people think of you because they're too busy worrying about what you think of them"
Kinda blew my mind at the time.
ImageImage

Polygon_Frites

Post by Polygon_Frites » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:00 pm

Looking back I cringe on how seriously I took the music I was into. I think the worse period would have been about 1992/1993 when I really became obsessive about Detroit Techno and my utter contempt for progressive house or the speeded up breakbeat rave that was very popular in my area at the time. I would evangelise to anyone in earshot about how "real" my music was and how that knick-knack-paddy-whack rave shit was silly and lame, and progressive house was the same old rave generator boom-tis sheet.

I may have had a point :D but I certainly didn't have to be such a dick about it all, it's all personal taste at the end of the day.

How anyone put up with me I do not know. Ohh, I cringe just thinking about it...

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Nice topic :)

I used to wear some ridiculous shit in my teenage years and early twenties. mohair string vests, bondage trousers, pixie boots, elasticated jeans, a haircut like vince clarke from yazoo.

Nowadays its regular jeans and normal t shirts. The Mrs tends to keep my fashion stupidity in check. I got a nice purple butthole surfers t shirt though, which I love.

And I wear monkey boots, all the time.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:27 pm

I was a hilariously earnest hippy, and even worse - I sometimes gave cosmic advice to people who didn't ask for it.
Ah the punchable arrogance of youth.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:52 pm

the only wierd time for me was the early 2000- late 2000... remember jnco?
im glad no pictures survived.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

aisling

Post by aisling » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:24 pm

I wore a lot of flannel in the 90's, after ditching the leather jacket look of the 80's. Was already irrelevant by 2000, so jeans and tee shirts...Nowadays rocking the scrubs.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

evaodland

Post by evaodland » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:41 pm

I have always look forward for new and exciting ways to embarrass myself musically. No need to to look back...