What's your favorite hardware synth?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
taffmonster

Re: What's your favorite hardware synth?

Post by taffmonster » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:24 pm

Missed out on the nord lead by 500 yen. Hesitated at the last minute. Guess I should buy the mopho.

taffmonster

Post by taffmonster » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:45 pm

Anybody ever used a Roland jp 8000. It's old but it seems to be somewhat of a classic and cheap second hand.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:06 pm

Theo Void wrote:Well, we all know the obvious choices if we all had un-limited amounts of cash. But since I'm a broke ass white kid from Pittsburgh I love my Roland GAIA....
Not to bring this up in public but I checked out your soundcloud page and you my friend, have some dope tracks. The second track from the top is super dope. You should shop that one around, seriously.

Nice work. I'd love to pick your brain sometime on how you do it! Holla at me

Ad
Ableton | Elektron

Music

taffmonster

Post by taffmonster » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:29 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
Theo Void wrote:Well, we all know the obvious choices if we all had un-limited amounts of cash. But since I'm a broke ass white kid from Pittsburgh I love my Roland GAIA....
Not to bring this up in public but I checked out your soundcloud page and you my friend, have some dope tracks. The second track from the top is super dope. You should shop that one around, seriously.

Nice work. I'd love to pick your brain sometime on how you do it! Holla at me

Ad
I'll second that.

deHaan

Post by deHaan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Nord Lead 3, I couldn't live without the endless encoders, it's excellent if you are working with presets. IMO is the best interface on a hardware synth.

Check out my band Silent People's new single here:
http://silentpeople.dk

taffmonster

Post by taffmonster » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:10 pm

deHaan wrote:Nord Lead 3, I couldn't live without the endless encoders, it's excellent if you are working with presets. IMO is the best interface on a hardware synth.

Way out of my price range but gorgeous none the less.

deHaan

Post by deHaan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Sorry forgot about the price :) How about the Alesis ion? It also has the endless encoders, just without the LED feedback. And some pretty good specs as well!

Check out my band Silent People's new single here:
http://silentpeople.dk

CR78

Post by CR78 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Two: My Jupiter-8 and Rev2 Prophet 5; both are midi'd

rydn

Post by rydn » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:48 pm

I have a Waldorf MW XT, Monomachine, Machinedrum and a budding Eurorack. I love the Monomachine the most due to its sequencer, even though it has the worst pure sounds of the bunch. It can sound sweet though and has a lot of range, excelling at super digital sounding stuff. But the sequencer is the aawweessoommee. The Eurorack sounds amazing, even with my modest set of modules, but I've though about selling it to get a Ti2 just to make things easier and have a ton of voices. The XT and the Machinedrum are very nice. But those are the only pieces of hardware I've owned, so I can't compare them to anything else.

taffmonster

Post by taffmonster » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:05 am

rydn wrote:I have a Waldorf MW XT, Monomachine, Machinedrum and a budding Eurorack. I love the Monomachine the most due to its sequencer, even though it has the worst pure sounds of the bunch. It can sound sweet though and has a lot of range, excelling at super digital sounding stuff. But the sequencer is the aawweessoommee. The Eurorack sounds amazing, even with my modest set of modules, but I've though about selling it to get a Ti2 just to make things easier and have a ton of voices. The XT and the Machinedrum are very nice. But those are the only pieces of hardware I've owned, so I can't compare them to anything else.
That sounds like a big set up. Never heard of a euro rack. I assume it's a modular analogue?
The machine drum looks nice. It's damn expensive though.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:52 am

Elka Synthex
had two in the past but sold them.

SC Pro-one
great filter and audio input.
also sold that one;)

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:00 am

Virus TI and Morpho/tetra - I like the programming and sounds on both (even with the very limited knobs - morpho is easy to program). I have an SE ATC-X and programming that is just annoying even though its very simple (push buttons to select parameter and a knob for the value). I really dont like like v-synth programming despite the touch screen etc. Novation KS-rack is satifying to program as well - easy to get sounds that I want and interfaces isnt too distracting.

TBH I mostly use soft synths these days and keep meaning to sell off the hardware.
Nothing to see here - move along!