layering snares

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
heuristics

layering snares

Post by heuristics » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Hey all,
just wondering how people go about layering their snares?
Im trying to figure out the best way with a rack or something I can quickly drag a drop samples into.
I'm thinking of putting together a rack using a multi band compressor, soloing the appropriate band and using the low/mid crossover and mid/high crossovers to sit the samples together. Id have low, mid and high snares layered.

simmerdown

Re: layering snares

Post by simmerdown » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:19 pm

take a sampler...drop many snare samples into it, like 128...save

drop a few instances of the sampler inside a drum rack...save

use the chain selector to choose, layer how you want

further detail if needed.....

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:54 pm

Take care of the phases of the attack when you layer the percussions.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:57 pm

I layer kicks but rarely layer snares. they have a really wide frequency spectrum and it gets busy to layer them.

TBH I shudder when people mention using effects as necessary part of a work flow. things should sound good on their own and shouldn't depend on the user applying effects. you don't have to use effects.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:10 pm

...yes, def start with the best sample you can

but, layering is so common in some genres, and there is no way you are going to get close with on sample

i would not stick to tightly to the low/mid/high thing, just go with what sounds good...

wild guess, you are asking for dubstep

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:02 pm

simmerdown wrote:take a sampler...drop many snare samples into it, like 128...save

drop a few instances of the sampler inside a drum rack...save

use the chain selector to choose, layer how you want

further detail if needed.....
i like doing it this way, but it really slows down my system. i get that little rainbow circle thing too much when i have too many "128s" in a rack. is that cause i only have a macbook 2009. I do use the 128s though. I drop one in, find what i'm looking for, then drag the chain out into another drumrack cell and delete the 128. i wish i didnt have to do it but its the only way to keep things running smoothly.

for layering, once i find the sounds i want i go into the IO section of drum rack, change the notes recieve to the same note and then i have a "multi" cell so i only have to worry about one cell instead of two. this works for me cause i usually manually put in drums from pads, but i guess its not necessary if your drawing your notes in.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:10 pm

funny that the sampler is bogging you down, never had that, if anything the contrary..since it is only referencing the samples, not holding them (i think)

someone who knows apple and cpu info may know more/ better on that...

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:18 am

I typically have one for low, one for the high/clappy sound, and one tail for the sustain portion (white noise or crash or similar). This works well because you can increase the attack on the sustain so this one won't mess with your phase, and its pretty easy to mix the other two low/hi portions on their own and getting them to sound good. Keep in mind you don't need full power across the entire freq spectrum, a good thud and a good snap can often make an excellent snare.
https://soundcloud.com/unearthproductions
beats me wrote:everybody around you thinks you’re a fucking idiot.

Electric Blue Studios

Post by Electric Blue Studios » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:31 pm

i layer snares all the time, can make a massive difference when used in the right places in a song. its all about eq and placing them at different spots front to back in the mix. as always, experiment!