Launchpad - Change the size of the scrollable grid

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chirs

Launchpad - Change the size of the scrollable grid

Post by chirs » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:13 pm

Hey Abletonists!
I'll get my launchpad in a week and wanna prepare a bit :)
Is it possible to change the size of the scrollable grid in session mode?
I want that the first 4 columns (4x8 pads) of the launchpad are stationary and the other 4 columns move around while pressing left, right, up and down as usual.
The non moving half would get mapped manually to other clips in ableton and should ignore scrolling. But the LED feedback (counting in the beat before clip launch etc.) should still work on both sides. Any idea? I don't wont to map the stationary clips on another user mode, the switching between the modes would make things too tedious.

A side question: is it possible, again in session mode, to re-map the scene launch buttons to other things in ableton without breaking something?

matthews

Re: Launchpad - Change the size of the scrollable grid

Post by matthews » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:18 pm

You can't do anything with the scene launch mode, unless you're going to code a custom python script.

You can use user2 mode to freely assign midi controls though.

If you do a quick search on this forum, you can find some custom remote scrips available that might give you the functionality you're looking for, but if not, you can also dive into max4live if you don't mind spending some time learning how it works.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:22 pm

did you try midi-assigning the buttons from the first 4 columns to your sationary clip-slots? (I mean as assigning a button on any midi controller)

I didn't try that, but I am under the impression that this should have as a result that they will get "hardwired" to the clip slots, all other buttons should continue to behave as usual.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:32 pm

pepezabala wrote:did you try midi-assigning the buttons from the first 4 columns to your sationary clip-slots? (I mean as assigning a button on any midi controller)

I didn't try that, but I am under the impression that this should have as a result that they will get "hardwired" to the clip slots, all other buttons should continue to behave as usual.

Is correct, but you wont get any LED feedback on the Launchpad without M4L or a massive workaround with a midi track per clip, in fact it would quickly get out of sync anyway... Just learn to live without the feedback...

Cheers
D

convex

Post by convex » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Completely off topic, but what possesses you guys to blast the forum with those massive banner ad image signatures? In 15 years or so online, I don't remember ever clicking on one here or anywhere else. In fact, the bigger it is, the less likely I am to care. Anyway, there's my unsolicited 2 cents about online marketing.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:49 pm

The vast majority of my traffic comes from that banner... Sorry to burst your bubble...

Cheers
D

o0bigs0o

Post by o0bigs0o » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:41 pm

convex wrote:Completely off topic, but what possesses you guys to blast the forum with those massive banner ad image signatures? In 15 years or so online, I don't remember ever clicking on one here or anywhere else. In fact, the bigger it is, the less likely I am to care. Anyway, there's my unsolicited 2 cents about online marketing.
My 2 cents:

It is because of S4racen's many contributions and advice in these forums that I DID Click on his banner and DID purchase his inexpensive by very powerful M4L devices !

but let's get back on topic ! :P
Ableton Live Suite 9.01
Windoze 7:Intel Core I7,Gen1-4GB Ram:NI Maschine:NI Komplete 9:Akai Pro APC 40:
Isotonik 8:Novation Launchpad:OktoPad 2
IPad2 64:Touchable:LivKontrol:TouchOSC

convex

Post by convex » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Fair enough. I'm just asking why these dudes feel the need to take up a third of my screen for a link.

WE GET IT. YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL. WE HEAR YOU ALREADY.

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:07 pm

convex wrote:Fair enough. I'm just asking why these dudes feel the need to take up a third of my screen for a link.

WE GET IT. YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SELL. WE HEAR YOU ALREADY.
whats up with you?
he doesn`t want to sell you penis enlargement pills or stuff like that!
what he has to offer is useful for many, many live users.
and the prices for these tools are really minimal for the work he has done

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:05 pm

convex wrote:Completely off topic, but what possesses you guys to blast the forum with those massive banner ad image signatures? In 15 years or so online, I don't remember ever clicking on one here or anywhere else. In fact, the bigger it is, the less likely I am to care. Anyway, there's my unsolicited 2 cents about online marketing.
you are not part of the target group.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:08 pm

pepezabala wrote:
you are not part of the target group.
Graphics are not my strong point, I'll get a smaller one made and then everyone can be happy!

Cheers
D

Ps thanks guys...

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue May 15, 2012 11:56 am

There you go!!

Cheers
D

Ub373NNN

Post by Ub373NNN » Tue May 15, 2012 8:10 pm