Best web resources for learning about Music Theory?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thecageofconsent

Best web resources for learning about Music Theory?

Post by thecageofconsent » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone had any tips on the above, especially with reference to computer music and Ableton. I've watched some Ableton Cookbook videos, which were very helpful, but would like to go a bit deeper.

Do any Ableton users have any videos or resources which they found useful in expanding their understanding of music theory? If so, please post below:

Cheers

Dave
Core i5 PC / Ableton Live 8 Suite / Novation Impulse 49 / Akai MPK Mini / Alesis M1 520 Active Monitors /
Audio Technika ATH-M50 Headphones / Native Instruments Komplete 8 / Native Instruments Maschine / U-HE Diva
http://soundcloud.com/explodingsands

thecageofconsent

Re: Best web resources for learning about Music Theory?

Post by thecageofconsent » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:48 pm

This looks great Tarekith, many thanks for the post.
Core i5 PC / Ableton Live 8 Suite / Novation Impulse 49 / Akai MPK Mini / Alesis M1 520 Active Monitors /
Audio Technika ATH-M50 Headphones / Native Instruments Komplete 8 / Native Instruments Maschine / U-HE Diva

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:59 pm

Linear Phase

Post by Linear Phase » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:25 pm

I read this book, when I was 22, and playing guitar in, "3 chord rock bands." http://www.amazon.com/Music-Theory-Made ... 091832159X

The book is so well written, that within a month, I was reading books on classical, blues, and jazz. Its been 10 or 11 years.. Lol.. and all I do is read books on jazz, but... it all started with David Harps, "music theory made easy."
Linear Phase has left the building..

thecageofconsent

Post by thecageofconsent » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:10 pm

Thanks again everyone for these suggestions. I'd be interested in hearing more from people about their breakthrough moments in understanding music theory. I've been abortively trying to grasp it for a while. I'd love to hear about people's experiences of doing the same, and the one piece of knowledge that made them think: "Now we're getting somewhere."

By theory I also mean beatmaking in various dance styles, so please chip in on that if you have any thoughts or great tutorials.

Dave

Linear Phase

Post by Linear Phase » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:16 pm

thecageofconsent wrote:Thanks again everyone for these suggestions. I'd be interested in hearing more from people about their breakthrough moments in understanding music theory. I've been abortively trying to grasp it for a while. I'd love to hear about people's experiences of doing the same, and the one piece of knowledge that made them think: "Now we're getting somewhere."

By theory I also mean beatmaking in various dance styles, so please chip in on that if you have any thoughts or great tutorials.

Dave

Books. The trick to understanding any subject is to study it. I love music, as I am sure a lot of people on the forum do. However, I also love books. I've read a good 30 or more books covering music theory, jazz, classical, blues, chords, scales, pop, and dance.

One book that sticks out, as it pertains to dance music, would be, "the secrets of programming dance and electronic music." Or.. something close to that. Unfortunately, I don't have the exact name, and its your job to google.

Two years ago, I lost all my books in a moving fiasco. $1000s, of dollars of books. Every time I think about it. I'm just pissed

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:15 pm

Ditto. I basically taught myself, though yes at times it was very boring (and I probably forgot most of it anyway). I found this book was what pushed me over:

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Theory- ... 432&sr=8-3

Lots of short chapters with a quiz at the end so you HAVE to practice while reading it.

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Linear Phase wrote:One book that sticks out, as it pertains to dance music, would be, "the secrets of programming dance and electronic music." Or.. something close to that. Unfortunately, I don't have the exact name, and its your job to google.
Electronica Dance Music Programming Secrets by Roger Brown & Martin Griese - fairly old but still useful.

Linear Phase

Post by Linear Phase » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Bagatell wrote:
Linear Phase wrote:One book that sticks out, as it pertains to dance music, would be, "the secrets of programming dance and electronic music." Or.. something close to that. Unfortunately, I don't have the exact name, and its your job to google.
Electronica Dance Music Programming Secrets by Roger Brown & Martin Griese - fairly old but still useful.

So useful, I will totally buy it again someday...

Cheers for the reminder

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:06 pm

switching to books...

music theory for the computer musician

music theory for dummies

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:04 am

macprovideo.com

Olav's tutorials are great
Ableton | Elektron

Music

thecageofconsent

Post by thecageofconsent » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:45 am

Thanks everyone, and sorry to bring back traumatic memories for you Linear Phase!

I think you're all bang right. I just need to knuckle down and do the hard work, cos the rewards will be worth it.

I've got Music Theory for the Computer Musician, and am going to go through it and FINISH IT this time. Can't wait to get a greater understanding of music.