Punch in Effects with a single dummy clip! (FINALLY)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
zebraloveicing

Punch in Effects with a single dummy clip! (FINALLY)

Post by zebraloveicing » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:01 am

Hey guys, check out my patch for punching in effects-

I got an Allen & Heath Xone:K2 MIDI controller last week and realised that Ableton does not recognise MIDI release commands as a separate signal and that the main ways to do this involve Bome's MIDI Translator (expensive), Max for Live (expensive), by buying a special template from Ill Gates (expensive) or somehow using MIDIPipe (Free but undocumented x complicated) and I wanted a way to do this natively inside of Ableton without third party software.

I spent all day researching on the internet to find that this was a well requested feature and entirely without response from the community.
Everyone called me crazy but I knew in my heart that it could be done.
In the end I managed to refine the method down to a single dummy clip.

>Now you can easily Hold down a midi note to turn on your effect and let go of the note to turn it back off!

So, without further tl;dr I present you with the free

PunchFX rack

The trick was to forget all about MIDI release recognition and focus on the Input signal.

I've done it by having a dummy clip with launch quantization of 1/32 with repeat mode on and loop off.
The first half of the clip sends CC 'on' signal and the second half sends CC 'off' to the beat repeat.
It's constantly being launched before getting to the second half so the beat repeat only knows on until you let go of the clip and it plays out to the end.
The really great thing about this method is that because it uses CC to modify the values so you can assign another MIDI note to the same parameters as the dummy clips and have two separate controls for the same effect.
I've got it set up so that the dummy clips change the beat divisions as well as a knob for MAXIMUM control!

Hope this helps everyone a little bit :D
Enjoy

Edit- you will need the IAC bus driver turned on for this to work.
Last edited by zebraloveicing on Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:28 am, edited 4 times in total.

Parametex

Re: Punch in Effects with a single dummy clip! (FINALLY)

Post by Parametex » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Dude!

Much thanks for this. I actually rarely even bother to come here (it has turned into a regular n00b-fest) and almost never to post a reply... But you did something pretty smart here and kudos for it!

I thought of a thing that might make you upgrade it a bit too ... You could make one pot that controls the midi effect that distributes the incoming note on to different clips .... This would allow you to push one button only and target the given clip by twisting a pot. :mrgreen:

yop44

Post by yop44 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:46 pm

Thanks for the trick :)
My music : Soundcloud

yop44

Post by yop44 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:02 pm

I made some test with TouchAble but I seems that Gate Mod and Repeat Mod are not supported :/
However I works great with a launchpad.
:)

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:10 pm

Agreed, Touchable only works with trigger....

Cheers
D

maily

Post by maily » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:57 am

sounds tasty, i'll give it a try, thanks!
"it's toe tappingly tragic"

JadedEvan

Post by JadedEvan » Wed May 02, 2012 11:31 pm

Watched this video today, which discusses creating a MIDI signal path to create punch-in effects. Definitely worth a watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08MbIdNY ... plpp_video

yop44

Post by yop44 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:45 am

JadedEvan wrote:Watched this video today, which discusses creating a MIDI signal path to create punch-in effects. Definitely worth a watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08MbIdNY ... plpp_video
Great tip!
P.S. The remote midi option of the controller has to be off otherwise it won't work.

zeepster

Post by zeepster » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:18 pm

Through google i have to find this thread where ableton owns search function can't!

Setting this up with my k2 is harder than i thought. If i have a dj setup with 3 channels audio, their outputs go to Repeat. But when i play the dummy clips nothing happens. When i turn up the macro repeat goes on endlessly. Can someone please explain how to set this up?
I'm quite new to this.

Anyway, cheers OP! Very kind of you to share and explain.
Thanks.