please fix unwanted 'midi chase'

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
jasper

please fix unwanted 'midi chase'

Post by jasper » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:51 am

Arrangement view:

This midi region has pitch bend (or Modulation, or Aftertouch)...
Later in the arrangement (and later in the set) on the same track,
a different midi region doesn't have any of those controllers in it,
but it takes on all the controllers from where the previous clip left off,
so your bass line in the verse has a pitch bend at the end, and the bassline in the chorus
is pitch bent out of whack because of the previous clip.
In all other DAW's this is an option called "Chase midi events".
Logic, Cubase, FruityLoops, Sonar, ProTools, Digital Performer...
They even give you a list of which events you want to Chase, and which events
should reset to '0' once a region is done playing.

Trying to draw in the repair should be as simple as manually drawing in a node
at '0' for all the controllers. But with Live, even scribbling in a bunch of nodes at or near '0'
for each envelope affected actually does not work:
the midi isn't played at the correct pitch sometimes.

doghouse

Re: please fix unwanted 'midi chase'

Post by doghouse » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:53 am

<delete>

jasper

Post by jasper » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:45 pm

doghouse wrote:<delete>

?

Jamoflage

Post by Jamoflage » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:28 pm

Yes I am having this problem too, in arrangement view.....I plan on freezing the tracks when I actually have to perform on stage....

any other solutions?

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:35 pm

since i dont plan them to change that behavior i always make sure every region starts and end with zeroing the controllers/pitch bends, tedious but efficient

jjunk

Post by jjunk » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:46 am

I have had this same issue and developed the same work around....

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:36 pm

jjunk wrote:I have had this same issue and developed the same work around....
me too.
silly that we have to have a workaround for that, really.
should be an option, so a big +1 for me.

luddy

Post by luddy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:29 pm

This one bites me occasionally too. Often, even. But I think it's tricky because if you launch a MIDI clip (from session view) that frobs your controls and changes the sound, do you really want for it to snap back to the original when the clip ends? Maybe an option on a clip (restore MIDI controller values) would do the trick. Even that's tricky if you use legato mode and change between clips halfway through.... Not so obvious to me what the right behavior would be.

-Luddy

jasper

Post by jasper » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:37 am

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:since i dont plan them to change that behavior i always make sure every region starts and end with zeroing the controllers/pitch bends, tedious but efficient
My friend, "Tedious" is the opposite of "Efficient" ;) lol

please fix the unnecessary and unwanted midi chase. it is a BUG.

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:38 pm

no, it's efficeint to me cause it allows me to start any clip anytime and have the value reset

jasper

Post by jasper » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:33 pm

good :)
have fun!

JeffreyCJohnson

Post by JeffreyCJohnson » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:15 pm

I've been working exclusively in session mode and lost time in every editing session because there is no MIDI chase function in Live. There should be a MIDI chase function (and envelopes in general), and it should be optional like *every other major sequencer* and it has been implemented by them since the 80's. The "chase" doesn't occur when a clip ends, it occurs when it starts, and for the comments about liking it like it is... it's a standard sequencer option, not a cast in cement feature. The same holds true for MIDI notes. Notes that extend past the last measure in a clip should not be cut off if the user is chasing the sustain pedal. Binding it to the sustain pedal eliminates the need for any special configuration option, and Ableton, this is called a TIE in music notation. (FYI, I *do* know what I'm talking about. I voiced the first two commercial FM synthesizers and contributed to the original MIDI spec.)

jasper

Post by jasper » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:45 am

JeffreyCJohnson wrote:I've been working exclusively in session mode and lost time in every editing session because there is no MIDI chase function in Live. There should be a MIDI chase function (and envelopes in general), and it should be optional like *every other major sequencer* and it has been implemented by them since the 80's. The "chase" doesn't occur when a clip ends, it occurs when it starts, and for the comments about liking it like it is... it's a standard sequencer option, not a cast in cement feature. The same holds true for MIDI notes. Notes that extend past the last measure in a clip should not be cut off if the user is chasing the sustain pedal. Binding it to the sustain pedal eliminates the need for any special configuration option, and Ableton, this is called a TIE in music notation. (FYI, I *do* know what I'm talking about. I voiced the first two commercial FM synthesizers and contributed to the original MIDI spec.)

I haven't even used the words 'midi chase' since the 90's when I called Steinberg asking them to give me an OFF SWITCH for it in Cubase. (They did, by the way).

William

Post by William » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:07 am

This is a huge one for me. Please fix this.
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

jasper

Post by jasper » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:56 pm

Muzik 4 Machines wrote:since i dont plan them to change that behavior i always make sure every region starts and end with zeroing the controllers/pitch bends, tedious but efficient
well then...from this list:
cubase, fruityloops, logic, protools, acid, ableton live, digitalperformer, sonar, nuendo, reason.

You're saying AbletonLive is the only one that sees a benefit in having you go inside the envelopes of every new clip you create and draw a "0" for any controller that was recorded in the previous recording you did.
This Chase problem occurs in arrange view and in clips view.
it's not a feature request, man.
it's a fix.
from like...a long time ago in human evolution, when we realized that chasing midi events is pretty much never ever required. :)
if there won't be an on/off switch for midi chase, it should definitely default to OFF.