A Question For Republicans (us politics)

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beatmunga

Re: A Question For Republicans

Post by beatmunga » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:05 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beatmunga wrote:
H20nly wrote:i have a 9 year old boy... i have NO problem whatsoever with him raising his hand to his heart and pledging himself to the flag...
You do know that no one else is the world forces their kids to do that in school apart from North Korea don't you?

That's because...at least in Europa...it goes from pledging the flag to jack boots on the throats of Jews and Gypies and Brown People in about 2 seconds.

:lol:
With all due respect, Stateside should perhaps keep shtum about oppressing brown people.

How is the old 'Race Music' scene over there at the moment by the way?
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:44 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Though of course pretending not to be patriotic and leveling your derision at countries you don't and have never lived in is just passive aggressive patriotism. :lol:
Nothing against any country per se. There are complete tools in all nations. Interestingly, a higher than average proportion of tools are also patriots. They form a rich seam of idiocy in my own country, that's for sure.

However, my beef with this thread has nothing to do with patriotism and everything to do with the arrogance of people that post (and contribute to) a thread on a specific aspect of their particular nation's politics without even having the international courtesy to allude to the national bias in its title.

And all on the site of a software developer from the other side of the world.

This may surprise you, but to many non-Americans the word 'republican' means 'opposed to the concept of monarchy'. That's quite different from what you seem to be talking about here which appears to be some sort of tub-thumping, shit kickin', rootin' tootin', gun slingin', don't go in much for yer book lernin', from my cold dead hands, crackerjack, my eyes have seen the glory, Darwin is an instrument of Satan, git those Ay-rabs in Eye-raq stance.

If some of you like to swap ideas on that whole outlook then fine. It's the lounge. Just put 'US Politics' in the title and spare the rest of us from accidentally clicking here for pity's sake.
mendeldrive wrote:NOBODY designs their own sounds... There is ZERO point in reinventing the wheel.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:23 am

beatmunga wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Though of course pretending not to be patriotic and leveling your derision at countries you don't and have never lived in is just passive aggressive patriotism. :lol:
Nothing against any country per se. There are complete tools in all nations. Interestingly, a higher than average proportion of tools are also patriots. They form a rich seam of idiocy in my own country, that's for sure.

However, my beef with this thread has nothing to do with patriotism and everything to do with the arrogance of people that post (and contribute to) a thread on a specific aspect of their particular nation's politics without even having the international courtesy to allude to the national bias in its title.

This may surprise you, but to many non-Americans the word 'republican' means 'opposed to the concept of monarchy'. That's quite different from what you seem to be talking about here which appears to be some sort of tub-thumping, shit kickin', rootin' tootin', gun slingin', don't go in much for yer book lernin', from my cold dead hands, crackerjack, my eyes have seen the glory, Darwin is an instrument of Satan, git those Ay-rabs in Eye-raq stance.

If some of you like to swap ideas on that whole outlook then fine. It's the lounge. Just put 'US Politics' in the title and spare the rest of us from accidentally clicking here for pity's sake.
A- I know what republican means to most of Europe, and I know that liberal means something different as well. Considering we share a common cultural background and we have almost as many people as all of Western Europe combined I would think you would know the basics of our politics. Specifically that Republicans are roughly equivalent to your conservative parties, not necessarily just our uneducated folksy reactionaries.

B- It would take you less than a couple paragraphs to figure out that the thread is about US American politics, and two seconds to hit the back button on your browser. If you expect coherent well thought out thread tittles then don't visit the Lounge. :lol:

C- English is the written language here, and the USA has the most native english speakers and writers of any country. That being true, it's safe to say there's a 50/50 chance that USA politics will be the topic of any political conversation, even in threads about other countries politics! :lol: That being true, knowing what a Republican means to an American and begrudgingly acknowledging that this is the equivalent of a living room cocktail party should not be considered a huge request made of anybody. :wink:

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:14 am

B - You're right. I'm being a deliberate dick about that. Childish. Not proud.

A & C - beneath the cozy language and emoticons (what was that about passive aggressive?) you have expressed more eloquently than I ever could the braying, self satisfied, world revolves around us ignorance and lazy cultural imperialism that continues to make your country more unpoular on the world stage than it really deserves.

When will you guys realise that you don't do yourselves any favours with such talk? You may make some good new friends at the international cocktail party if you just toned this defensive braying down a bit and expressed a smidgin of national humility.

You'll be telling me that what the US has done to Dubstep should be the globally default approach to the genre soon... Lord have mercy.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:42 pm

beatmunga wrote: lazy cultural imperialism

It's funny that you use that phrase and then in the very next line mention dubstep.

Oh, the irony.

:lol: :P :x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:38 pm

beatmunga wrote:

beatmunga do you honestly think the 'rest of you' need sparing, or is it just you, in fact who is it that you really think you speak for and represent here? I'm only asking because as far as I know the americans on this forum don't speak for each other and I wasn't aware that it was any different for the non-americans so I want to know exactly what you mean because if you don't speak for anybody else on this forum then your statements are perplexing at best………….

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:07 pm

starving student wrote:beatmunga do you honestly think the 'rest of you' need sparing, or is it just you, in fact who is it that you really think you speak for and represent here? I'm only asking because as far as I know the americans on this forum don't speak for each other and I wasn't aware that it was any different for the non-americans so I want to know exactly what you mean because if you don't speak for anybody else on this forum then your statements are perplexing at best………….
By 'the rest of us' I mean non-Americans. And perhaps people that find extreme conservatism distasteful, wherever it is from.

And none of them are backing me up here. So you have a very good point, it seems as if I'm being mightily presumptious.

I can only guess that either:

a) The US has successfully annexed this site (or The Lounge at least) and I'm one of the few 'foreigners' left.
b) There are lots of non-US contributors here still, and some agree with my point. But none feel strongly enough to back me up.
c) There are lots of non-US contributors here still but they all think that I don't have a point at all. Which makes me a mental case.
d) Non-US contributors don't much care for The Lounge. Which is fascinating in itself.

I'm guessing that from the choices above you will plump for choice c. If so, fair enough - I can only stress that I genuinely feel strongly about this and I'm not trolling just to get a reaction. But, for now, I concede that until anyone backs me up I could well be mental.

(There is of course the possibility that an American or two might actually agree with me... )

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:57 pm

e) this thread is pointless.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:07 pm

beatmunga wrote:B - You're right. I'm being a deliberate dick about that. Childish. Not proud.

A & C - beneath the cozy language and emoticons (what was that about passive aggressive?) you have expressed more eloquently than I ever could the braying, self satisfied, world revolves around us ignorance and lazy cultural imperialism that continues to make your country more unpoular on the world stage than it really deserves.

When will you guys realise that you don't do yourselves any favours with such talk? You may make some good new friends at the international cocktail party if you just toned this defensive braying down a bit and expressed a smidgin of national humility.

You'll be telling me that what the US has done to Dubstep should be the globally default approach to the genre soon... Lord have mercy.
Again, there are more Americans posting here than any other country, it's simple fucking math.
English language board, USA population 311,591,917. That would be far more people than all the rest of the english language populations combined. Basically you're reading your own agenda into a simple straightforward "problem" based on an overwhelming majority. Don't like the fact that US political concerns are going to be the most talked about on an english language boards off topic section? don't go to off topic sections on english language boards. This isn't some arrogant american thing to say, it's basic fucking math. Again, because you started obviously with an agenda to "school the arrogant americans", I'll repeat this. The overwhelming majority here are from the USA, US politics will be more than 50% of the threads here about politics. You butting in and demanding better topic titles and pretending to be really upset about this huge indignation is just YOU wanting to be able to post the type of passive aggressive patriotic provincial antagonistic diatribe about the "ugly american" stereotype that you did above. That, is why nobody is backing you up on this, because nobody in their right mind would see any point at all to what your going on about, because your only point seems "OMG! the americans are being arrogant because they didn't expressly title a thread about american politics correctly! The beasts!" which is such a tiny and insignificant reason to get upset that it's my guess most people are more confused by your lack of an actual clear reason to attack americans in the Lounge than wanting to side with you?
You want to talk about american arrogance, well there are plenty of reasons to write and discuss that, but every single thing that someone does from america isn't based on that, and that you're implying that to be the case (topic title, my statistics) so perfectly illustrates what I was saying about passive aggressive patriotism. Basically you're hating on a people from a country with made up concerns, with the not so hidden implication that other countries citizens are of a better class.

You could get plenty of americans to agree with you if you implicated our foreign policy for instance, but instead you butted in to a thread about US politics, and started in with a "miss manors" grammar lesson looking for someone to say something to prop up another internet diatribe about how americans are self centered etc. Probably not one of your finest discussion points. You seem to be fairly civil, but it's not like the people who you're targeting for derision here are going to be fooled by the veneer of civility. This is, and has always been, about how you think americans are arrogant, about how you want to paint an ethnic picture of 311 million people. Paint it any way you want to, but consider the source of your "concern" and reread what you've been writing, and maybe learn some humility on a personal level.

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:26 pm

Bagatell wrote:e) this thread is pointless.
Looks that way.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Machinesworking wrote:If you expect coherent well thought out political discussions then don't visit starving student threads. :lol:
Spot on. Take note beatmunga.
Unsound Designer

beatmunga

Post by beatmunga » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:21 pm

Machinesworking wrote:This is, and has always been, about how you think americans are arrogant, about how you want to paint an ethnic picture of 311 million people. Paint it any way you want to, but consider the source of your "concern" and reread what you've been writing, and maybe learn some humility on a personal level.
Ok, I've done that, and you're right. I've been extremely uncivil from the outset, and I can see that this looks like I have a problem with an entire nation. That's my fault. I let a petty point get out of hand.

I really don't hate 311 million plus people based on their nationality. That I've come across that way upsets me and I'll be having a word with myself about it.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:32 pm

stringtapper wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:If you expect coherent well thought out political discussions then don't visit starving student threads. :lol:
says he whom's political coherency peaks at salsa :lol: , ….you're in good company beatmunga, but it might not be necessary to take a thread title so seriously, btw have you seen it lately, I think you've achieved something.
now doesn't that feel good. :)

starving student

Re: A Question For Republicans (us politics)

Post by starving student » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:39 pm

the important thing to remember when you're talking about americans is that we are essentially made up of you.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:23 am

starving student wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
says he whom's political coherency peaks at salsa :lol: , ….you're in good company beatmunga, but it might not be necessary to take a thread title so seriously, btw have you seen it lately, I think you've achieved something.
now doesn't that feel good. :)
Salsa is a damn sight of an upgrade to your armchair babble. :lol:

And just about as politically relevant. :|
Unsound Designer