Need a delay....what's the dealy?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mr D

Need a delay....what's the dealy?

Post by Mr D » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:34 am

I've been searching for a great delay.

So far:

Fabfilter Timeless: seems quite nice but lacks a volume control for each tap, making it useless for me. Not blown away by the sound.

PSP 608: seems to have a lot of features, sounds nice, but that interface.....UUURGGHHH!

Ohmboyz: old but not cold.....this is the best of the three for me, in terms of sound, interface and features. Lacks tap tempo (at least, i can't find it) and seems a little glitchy soundwise now and again. Getting an overview of modulations isn't possible without mousing over each knob. :(

Soooooo, anyone got any suggestions for a delay that might stack up to Ohmboyz?

Thanks!
Last edited by Mr D on Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

doom_Oo7

Re: Need a delay....what's the dealy?

Post by doom_Oo7 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:39 am

Soundtoys Echoboy.
Ossia Score, an OSC sequencer for intermedia arts - http://www.ossia.io

filosofem

Post by filosofem » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:41 am

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:45 am

filosofem wrote:Rob Papen RP-Delay
^^ Got it for $10.....with a free distortion. Great buy!! Lots of fun. :)

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:47 am

might as well use a grain delay...

filosofem

Post by filosofem » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:57 am

Sibanger wrote:Got it for $10.....with a free distortion. Great buy!! Lots of fun. :)
You got it for a steal. The RP-Delay adds great depth and width at minimal echo. Features for Africa too. No brainer. RP-Verb is next on my software list.

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Wed May 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks guys.

I checked out Echoboy......great sound, don't like the interface.But I'm gonna see if i can get all my delay needs covered with Echoboy and Ohmboyz.......might check out RP delay later.

alphadelphi

Post by alphadelphi » Wed May 02, 2012 1:40 pm

btw i am very happy with ableton ones

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed May 02, 2012 2:32 pm

alphadelphi wrote:btw i am very happy with ableton ones

+1

I love them all.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

Opz

Post by Opz » Wed May 02, 2012 3:56 pm

Rob Papen RP-Delay

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Sat May 05, 2012 9:19 pm

I bought the RP delay (and Verb) today.

It's a really deep and powerful plug, perhaps the most deep of all the delays i tried yet.

It's not very intuitive. For example, if a delay is turned off, the mix control on it is still active, although the control is blanked out. I found no decent Youtube tutorial and the manual seems cursory (Mr Papen, if you read this, take a look at the Echoboy manual! ;))..... Still, gonna spend some time getting my head 'round this muther.

Anyway, i believe with Echoboy and RP Delay i MUST have all my delay needs covered.........not sure if i'll still need Ohmboyz, time will tell.

Linear Phase

Post by Linear Phase » Sat May 05, 2012 9:50 pm

Mr D wrote:PSP 608: seems to have a lot of features, sounds nice, but that interface.....UUURGGHHH!
PSP has a great sound! They are top of the class, as far as sound quality goes. However, I agree with you here. Some of their interface/gui design can use rethinking.

For example.. I'm still not sure, if I want to upgrade my PSP Nitro, to v2.. or crossgrade, as they are calling it.

I'm actually in the market for a different filter plug in. I'm waiting to see what comes from Cytomic, but if that is not here by mid summer, I may purchase the Fxpansion Filter, or some Audio Damage stuff, or upgrade my Nitro... Upgrading Nitro, only cause.. PSP has a great, great sound quality. Some of the best around.. imo
Linear Phase has left the building..

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Sun May 06, 2012 7:56 am

it's a delay effect...what does "sound" even mean at this point? isn't the main point of interest the functionality?

I use ableton's, and love them...and I struggle to see how spending money on 3rd party delays accomplishes anything that you can't already do between ableton's Pong, Simple, Filter and Grain delays... get into using racks and you can expand their functionality even further...

not trying to poo the OP's interests but I just get curious about questions like this....I think people often dismiss the native plugins without really checking to see if they might, you know, kick ass...

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Mr D

Post by Mr D » Sun May 06, 2012 8:13 am

mholloway wrote:it's a delay effect...what does "sound" even mean at this point? isn't the main point of interest the functionality?
Once you get into non-linear effects (distortion) and feedback, delays can certainly have a sound. Why re-invent the wheel when you have great plugs like RP and Echoboy with the functions you want readily available?!

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Sun May 06, 2012 10:07 am

mholloway wrote:it's a delay effect...what does "sound" even mean at this point? isn't the main point of interest the functionality?

I use ableton's, and love them...and I struggle to see how spending money on 3rd party delays accomplishes anything that you can't already do between ableton's Pong, Simple, Filter and Grain delays... get into using racks and you can expand their functionality even further...

not trying to poo the OP's interests but I just get curious about questions like this....I think people often dismiss the native plugins without really checking to see if they might, you know, kick ass...

-M
i stopped to use 3rd party fx plugins and im more productive than ever. there are so much possibilities that i spend the time to make more music instead of searching the holy fx plugin. it was really a big problem! i suggest this especially to beginners ;) not to forget the deeper understanding how and why it works.