Cool wedding songs !

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
wildcon

Cool wedding songs !

Post by wildcon » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:20 pm

Hi There,

I've got a DJ gig at a wedding in Mayfair (London) on Friday.

It's going to be a mixed crowd and am looking for some suggetions for cool but not too cheesy
songs. I'd like to be able to 'mix' them so any good old funk type stuff would be good.

I've played a wedding gig before but they were old 'clubbers', so got away with some good funky house and
a few cheesy remixes of T-Rex and Depeche Mode etc.

Ant recommendations gratefully received.

Cheers all :)
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

kabelton

Re: Cool wedding songs !

Post by kabelton » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:20 am

That was our wedding song... :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNzqmmcZGIE&feature=plcp

...and there was pretty solid bass in that office. 8)

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:28 pm

Thanks guys :)
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:13 pm

Anything dubstep should fit the bill. Start the marraige off right, if you will.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:33 pm

Madness - One step beyond. Never fails at weddings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-uyWAe0NhQ

TaylorF

Post by TaylorF » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:02 pm

You get any song lists or feedback from the wedding planners?

I would work around their list first, that should give you an idea of what you can get away with... even send them some samples and see what they think. you could probably get a really good feel from that.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:50 pm

ikeaboy wrote:Madness - One step beyond. Never fails at weddings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-uyWAe0NhQ

I was going to say not unless the reception is made up entirely of pasty white people. But then I saw you’re in Ireland. So, um, yeah. :P

That song seriously gets people moving over there? I put that song on par with The Funky Chicken, The Marcarena, and anything by The Village People. It’s part of my “You’re getting a substantial discount because I refuse to play the songs on this list” package. :x

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Tue May 01, 2012 11:48 am

Hi there,

Thanks again.

Madness could work.

The issue is that the couple are architects and 'cool' whereas the family and guests may not be, so I'm trying to cover all bases.

I am jamming with a band for the crossover to them to a remix of Green Onions and they thought that was fab, so that's good news :D

I'm actually really looking forward to as because I have 'no idea' how it's going to go :!: :D

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue May 01, 2012 12:13 pm

I take it you're familar with 2manyDJs? You want something a bit like that. Lots of pop, fair bit of rock, and some dance music. You can't do more than a couple of obscure tracks, most of the people should know most of the music.

Theme from grease, to Blondie Atomic, to stevie wonder superstition, to marrs pump up the volume, to chemical brothers hey boy, to Kate bush running up that hill, to window licker, to rolling stones, etc.

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Sat May 05, 2012 8:46 am

Hey all,

Thanks so much for the tips and songs.

That was tough 8O

I ended up doing a 2many dj's by default :D

I also had to plumb the depths. Yes I have officially sold my soul and play 'dancing queen' by ABBA. It was a bit like the moment in my normal set when I play Insomnia by Faithless. That moment of recognition followed by a sprint to the dance floor. Turned the gig and from there in it was cool remixes to go :)

Sometimes a man's just gotta do what a man's gotta do.

I shall be blasting Derrick Carter all day and whacking out a few hail Mary's in hope ofartistic forgiveness :D

Have a great day all

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Mon May 07, 2012 5:07 pm

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon May 07, 2012 5:16 pm

curious....

how long a set does one usually do for a wedding?

what is the going rate to charge for a function/wedding/party/whatever?

a friend has a sound system collecting dust and i could use some spare cash, sounds like fun....maybe

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Tue May 08, 2012 4:15 pm

simmerdown wrote:curious....

how long a set does one usually do for a wedding?

what is the going rate to charge for a function/wedding/party/whatever?

a friend has a sound system collecting dust and i could use some spare cash, sounds like fun....maybe
Awful, I hate doing weddings. Worst gig ever. Between dealing with the bitchy and stressed out bride, the families who for the most part flip the bill, drunk fools, and requests for the chicken dance it is damn near enough to make you go mad!

However, if you can handle that and need the cash, it is not a bad idea.

$800-$1000 is reasonable and fair. Some charge more up to $2000 but I think you would need a solid sound system for that.

Make sure you request internet access so you can have access to the ridiculous requests you will get