How to set up my studio?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thomassmith

Re: How to set up my studio?

Post by thomassmith » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:49 am

anybody recommend me buying Maschine?

I am so confused. Completely confused about what to buy.I change my mind every day because I watch new videos on youtube and then I want to buy those things that I saw.
The point is that whatever I will buy I dont wanna regret.
I am shopping only for studio.

alexjholland

Post by alexjholland » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:23 am

In my experience so far, keep it simple; determine your priorities; and saving money is a false economy. Get the best - even if it takes a while.

There are a lot of 'toys' that are all appealling. There is always stuff that catches my eye.. But what's my priority?

Sound quality, raw power, useability and a coherent, harmonious relationship between software and hardware.

Spending £2,000 on an iMac; getting a £400 Firewire soundcard and an APC40 and Ableton Live 8 Suite has built me a system that gives me so much pleasure, efficiency and ease-of-use.

I'd recommend ploughing all your money into a decent computer (Mac would be my choice) and a full copy of Ableton Live Suite. You'll find lots of VSTs and extras seems less important and you have plenty to keep you occupied.

As and when you can, get a good soundcard and monitors - even if it's in six months time.

Far better to buy one, very high-quality component at a time that hits every nail perfectly than a lot of mediocre components that won't satisfy you; and that you'll inevitably upgrade and lose money on.

thomassmith

Post by thomassmith » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:47 pm

thank you alex.
Appreciated.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:31 pm

If you have a look here, you can see that your mainboard will support up to a 3.2 Ghz core 2 extreme (check what revision your board is first though).
You could pick up a more reasonably priced core 2 quad Q9650 or Q9550 on fleabay, fit 4GB of ddr3 ram and get a win 7 x64 upgrade if you're still on xp.
That'll give you a much faster pc for little outlay.

Stick in an EMU 0404 pcie and you'll have a good quality soundcard that should give pretty low latency performance.

That should have saved you enough to get the controller/controllers of your choice.

thomassmith

Post by thomassmith » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:50 pm

twisted-space wrote:If you have a look here, you can see that your mainboard will support up to a 3.2 Ghz core 2 extreme (check what revision your board is first though).
You could pick up a more reasonably priced core 2 quad Q9650 or Q9550 on fleabay, fit 4GB of ddr3 ram and get a win 7 x64 upgrade if you're still on xp.
That'll give you a much faster pc for little outlay.

Stick in an EMU 0404 pcie and you'll have a good quality soundcard that should give pretty low latency performance.

That should have saved you enough to get the controller/controllers of your choice.
CHEERS twisted-space!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ARe you pro or contra MACBOOK?

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:57 pm

thomassmith wrote: CHEERS twisted-space!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ARe you pro or contra MACBOOK?
Neither, though I think apple products in general are overpriced.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:22 am

Just buy last vengeance sample pack

login

Post by login » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:10 am

Get an iPad for controlling Live with apps such as touchable, konkrete performer, lemur, touch osc, soundprism...

Then maybe a keyboard, one cheack with some knobs and pads: novation impulse.

For audio interface check out focusrite scarlet, they have quite cheap models.

thomassmith

Post by thomassmith » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:58 pm

thank you mates! I am really grateful for your help.

thomassmith

Post by thomassmith » Tue May 01, 2012 5:57 pm

now i have made up my mind.
the only thing left is the sound card.
so here are the options:

focustite 2i2/8i6
http://www.focusrite.com/products/
emu 0404
roland quad capture
Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6
Focusrite Saffire 6s
or some m-audio or motu...
or stuff like that.
thx

i think i'll go with the mpk 49 midi keyboard.
any objection?

jhstark

Post by jhstark » Sun May 06, 2012 12:02 am

I am running Win 7, M-Audio C400, APC 40. I never had any audio issues until using Ableton Live 8. I tried all advice I could find on this forum with no results. I was ready to throw more HW at the problem until I discovered the referenced Native Instruments Application Note (halelujah !!). Now I can run all ins and outs at 96KHz with 256 byte audio buffer and never have any issues (I was experiencing drop outs, pops, and static while just playing the SW synths through external midi controller). The app note is expertly written and has several optimization suggestions that can correct these types of issues. In my case, I gave background processes (e.g., drivers) processing priority, set Ableton.exe as 'high' process priority, and went to a a 'non-Aero' desktop theme (e.g., Windows Classic, I believe this was actually the culpret in my case - very surprising).See the following app note if you are having Win 7 USB Audio issues:
http://www.native-instruments.com/knowl ... Processing

YOU MAY NOT BE SUFFERING FROM INADEQUATE HW CONFIGURATION