Tone 2 Saurus Analog Synth Review Video

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Grappadura

Re: Tone 2 Saurus Analog Synth Review Video

Post by Grappadura » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:48 pm

enjoying the arp section :)
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:06 am

reminds me of the virus

deva

Post by deva » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:30 am

Machinesworking wrote:
deva wrote: btw, how flexible is the modulation on your Oberheim? Can you for example, make a unison sound with 3 voices stacked and then have variable modulation for each of the voices? For example, in Diva I can have a 3 voice stack, and set the modwheel to cutoff and have different amounts of modulation for each of the unison voices. Or I can have a unison stack with LFO on cutoff and each voice has a different LFO speed. Makes for some really beautiful complex and expressive sounds. IIRC the Expander would be one of the few analog polysynths that has that sort of modulations capability. Is that correct?
Yeah it's more flexible than I use it for at the moment. I've gotten into using it for pads, chords etc. but I do need to explore it a bit more for sure.
You can assign each of the six voices to an entirely different sound if you want, so a stack of cutoff filters with separate LFOs is fully possible.
The craziest thing about the LFOs is you can modulate other LFOs with them, and the actual amp/note etc. so you hit a note and you get instant generative ambient music.
I'll have to throw some of that on Soundcloud, it's pretty amazingly musical sounding. In fact the only limitation that's a bit of a mental deal with the Xpander is that you have to use an audio pulse to sync an LFO to your host DAW. Another cheater method is to use the expression pedal cc and draw in a Clip LFO etc. The MIDI isn't as expansive as later digital synths. The filters are creamy though, and it's a nice compliment to the Moog, it's really easy to use those two as starts and fill the rest in with soft synths, as they can cut through all that analog fuzz. :)
I thought it was rather extensive. I imagine I would enjoy a Matrix 12 :)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:56 am

deva wrote: I thought it was rather extensive. I imagine I would enjoy a Matrix 12 :)
Yeah who wouldn't? It's a twelve voice Xpander with a nice keyboard! :)
They go on ebay for more than twice the price of the Xpanders though.

deva

Post by deva » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:00 am

Machinesworking wrote:
deva wrote: I thought it was rather extensive. I imagine I would enjoy a Matrix 12 :)
Yeah who wouldn't? It's a twelve voice Xpander with a nice keyboard! :)
They go on ebay for more than twice the price of the Xpanders though.
Indeed... Fortunately I am so pleased with the variety and quality of sounds with Diva that I am not hankering for an analog poly and its subsequent cost... Bazille on the other hand kinda whet my appetite for a modular. So far I am restraining myself!! (hopefully Berlin Modular is out soon and it cures the itch) :D

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:56 am

dokx

Post by dokx » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:07 pm

Unless they don't reveal which "competing ‘Virtual analog’ product" (and which "famous analog synthesizer" of course) they analyzed this comparison is quite useless, therefore just marketing.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue May 01, 2012 7:19 am

no, cause it still shows how accurately they reproduced it. I haven´t heard anything close in the virtual domain, besides the virus.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Fri May 04, 2012 2:45 pm

here´s a track made with saurus.

http://soundcloud.com/musikus/hyperbolic-2

Sounds so analog!

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Fri May 04, 2012 9:14 pm

Grappadura wrote:no, cause it still shows how accurately they reproduced it.
Compared to what?
Could be Synth1. Could be Oatmeal. It has no meaning without the context of what the other synth is.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Fri May 04, 2012 11:10 pm

compared to the analog synth itself. I´m ok trusting my ears on that one anyways, I dont need a chart to see that they really have come closer than anybody else so far. I am surprised that not everybody shares my excitement, but well, to each his own :) .

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Sat May 05, 2012 6:46 am

Grappadura wrote:to see that they really have come closer than anybody else so far

Excluding that one synth the guys at Tone2 get mad at everyone for comparing theirs to, you mean?

:wink:

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue May 08, 2012 7:53 am

here´s a new track I did with it: http://soundcloud.com/grappadura/saurus .

the "mastering" is not optimal, but what the hell, still a nice track.

what I love about this synth is that its the first synth where I can use the presets right out of the box. with other synths its a lot of work, this one just works.

diva may also be nice, but to me they didnt quite nail it as tone 2 did. of course thats subjective. also, its nice to be able to have several tracks rocking the saurus, fortunatly the cpu hit is not so big.