Ableton's Formant/Vowel EQ presets

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gazo

Ableton's Formant/Vowel EQ presets

Post by gazo » Mon May 07, 2012 2:22 pm

With the Formant Vowel EQ presets in Ableton where did these settings come from. I am writing a blog article on these formant EQs and am not too sure who to reference on who came up with that these EQ settings which represent an "A" or an "E" etc....

Were these figured out by someone specific, or are these Ableton's own creation of formant EQ settings?

ze2be

Re: Ableton's Formant/Vowel EQ presets

Post by ze2be » Mon May 07, 2012 2:38 pm

gazo wrote:With the Formant Vowel EQ presets in Ableton where did these settings come from. I am writing a blog article on these formant EQs and am not too sure who to reference on who came up with that these EQ settings which represent an "A" or an "E" etc....

Were these figured out by someone specific, or are these Ableton's own creation of formant EQ settings?
What presets? Notes are spesific freqencies. Simple as that. But I guess you mean the letter A and E, not the notes? A1 is 55 hz, A2 is 110, A3 is 220 hz.

Spoken letters id guess its spesific band pass filter settings.

Do a wiki search on vowel filter.

mharris

Post by mharris » Mon May 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Sorry, cant help you with who originally came up with the Formant filter, but it certainly wasn't Ableton.
Lots of other instruments and plugins have a formant filter. Ableton just happen to have taken the shape of the Formant filters and provided them as presets for EQ8.

tech44

Post by tech44 » Mon May 07, 2012 3:18 pm

Some frequencies listed on wiki. May be helpful?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formant
-----
Audiobombs.com: Free ableton racks, soundsets, touchosc templates and more.

monolake

Post by monolake » Mon May 07, 2012 9:55 pm

I made the presets, and if I remember correctly I took the frequencies from a chart published in this (fantastic!) book about computer generated sound:

http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Music-Sy ... 0028646827

however, you'll certainly find them in a lot of articles about speech synthesis online !

robert

gazo

Post by gazo » Wed May 09, 2012 9:05 am

Thanks Monolake and tech44