Quitting job and get 100% into music, anyone did it?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
supamonsta

Quitting job and get 100% into music, anyone did it?

Post by supamonsta » Sun May 13, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi,

I start this thread here to know if some of you made this jump once...

I'm not asking for advices to do it or not, if it's safe or not, or what to do to be sure music will be a financial income...

I just would like to hear experiences from the ones here who did it, and more about the psychological aspects of the question, that are:

- what decided you to make the jump?
- how hard was it to struggle with that decision, against all rationality?
- what was the hardest : family/friends opinions, or your inner structure to make change?
- is it a childish dream that tries a last chance when you're 35 and about to sign in for a regular life?

I feel the most threatening stuff with this choice is inside me. I'm not talking about money, home, or all practical aspects of the question, but the real opposition that rises from within...

cheers

Forge.

Re: Quitting job and get 100% into music, anyone did it?

Post by Forge. » Mon May 14, 2012 3:06 am

hi supamonsta

while I don't really live off just music, Teaching has made up probably most of my income, and before that live sound/audio visual.

One thing I will say in regards to that is that as they are still related, I think the biggest danger is removing NON-music influences from your world. Things that are totally unrelated can be where inspiration comes from. You can come away from your job DESPERATE to make music.

The reason being, when ALL you do is music there is real danger it can become a chore or like a job that you can start to hate just as much as any job, because it's like a pressure is added to it. I think there's a level of intensity that happens where you can start to not see the woods for the trees.

I also find it can make me indecisive and put too much pressure on perfection, resulting in nothing. You have to remember, when you are treating it as your job it can interfere with those times where you just mess around and experiment just for the fun of it because you start to feel like all your activities need to be 'justified' in a work sense. Those times are really valuable creatively, but it can be hard to feel psychologically like 'just messing around' is a good use of time when your income depends on it.

Eg. because I earn most income from making videos, if I sit down in the day to try and do something, I usually end up feeling like I have to make videos, and so making the videos has become something I dread because it is stopping me doing what I REALLY want to do. See the catch 22?

I'm sure there are better disciplined people out there who can make it work a lot better, this is just something I have found.

Having said all this, I have definitely spent far too long 'producing' and messing with computers, and not enough looking for gigs, and I think it would feel a lot different if I was gigging properly again every week, or at least a couple of times a month. But the intensity seems to also play a hand at ruining that when I try and work on live sets - I can get too caught up in what I want to make my main thing live. I spent so long in electronic music but am now very much back into my 'real' instruments and agonising over whether I still want to use a lot of technology, if so how? - maybe live looping, or electronic backing with guitars, or more organic with minimal technology. So I'm over-thinking it. I almost feel like I need to take a year off and wait for the music to find me.

Personally I think if you have a job you like, maybe keep it! And focus on getting gigs, and when the gigs pay enough to live on, then think about it. But be careful- will you have to start doing crappy covers gigs you don't really want to do if you are trying to live on it? And so the cycle continues! ;-)

aisling

Post by aisling » Mon May 14, 2012 4:06 am

I am 42 now. When I was 30, I did just that. Things were seemingly infinitely possible with doors and connections opening up in all kinds of directions. I was rubbing elbows with "big wigs" in the biz....
But the bills kept piling up, and those "connections", were not generating the real income to pay the bills... But I had the "dream" and I believed that perseverance would pay off....in my case, just like the greek tragedies, there were snags and surprises, and that pot of gold never happened, kids and marriage came....Also severe financial ruin from taking risks and using credit to finance gear, record production, gigs, etc...
It took me a long time to climb back to a place where I can feed, clothe, and support a family. I became a nurse to have stability, and scheduling flexibility....
But that was my story, yours might be different...
Not trying to talk you out of your dream, better to try, fail and regret something you have done, than to regret something you have not done....
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Davo

Post by Davo » Mon May 14, 2012 5:28 am

You used the word "jump". Jumping can be dangerous if you can't see where you are likely to land. You might land in paradise, but in general life isn't like that. Your inner resistance is probably your innate wisdom. Work toward being able to easily "step" into something else.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon May 14, 2012 6:04 am

supamonsta wrote: - is it a childish dream that tries a last chance when you're 35 and about to sign in for a regular life?
just wanted to add to this point - one artist who I've been massively inspired by lately is Seasick Steve. He's 71 now, and he has only just really become well known in the last 10 years or so. Now he's signed to Jack White's label and tours the world gigging with people like John Paul Jones, Jack White, Dave Grohl...! He's lived like a hobo most of his life, He looks like a hobo, big long grey beard and trucker hat, been busking with a beaten up guitar from charity shop with only 3 strings, and this other 1 stringed slide guitar he made with some old hub caps - and he plays fantastic blues.

I just recently saw him here at the Byron bay blues fest to a huge crowd and he was brilliant.

So I don't think we have to think in these terms of "before it's too late" any more. It's better to be authentic and just keep on going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U2w5ZOpdZY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AuXjQIgOD0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6LeM4K3uOE

Linear Phase

Post by Linear Phase » Mon May 14, 2012 9:44 am

strange world
Linear Phase has left the building..

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon May 14, 2012 9:58 am

hey :D

first of all thanks a lot for your answers and thoughts on this matter

I used the word "jump" in the right place I think, as opposed to a carefully preplanned shift,

thus the question about the psychological aspect to it.

I'm currently thinking about taking a few years, not to live FROM music, but to live FOR music. You know, kinda suicidal stuff some would say...

But I'll be able to find some job again in my present professional domain, pretty sure about that, so it would not be that suicidal. Maybe childish, but not that dramatical.

Fact is I feel stuck. Not creatively speaking (even if I barely compose at home these times), but in terms of inner phase. I mean, I wake up every morning with a kind of inner angst / frustration / despair. I'm not really me I guess, sticking to the multiple choices I made or advices I followed since I'm a child... And I'd like to be the really me again (I hope I was the really me when a child, before the life made me stick to some premade paths...)

I need a fucking change, not celebrity. I need to be living something I really choosed, and have the feeling that my present life is made of so few real choices... just following the straight path that is in front of me, regular, comforty, in which music is just a hobby.

Music being a hobby is a good thing, don't misunderstand me, but I feel I need more.

These are the psychological aspects I'd like to discuss with you dear abletonians.

The practical side of things being, I got enough money aside to last a few years. My musical partner has a house in the nature that we could inhabit for no money. Or I also could squatt my father's house, that is empty 5 days a week... My job is a good one I guess, but I'll be able to get a similar job in some years I'm sure about that. I've got no child. I live in a tiny flat with my girl (girl being another question). I have no credit to pay. NOthing really achieved by now, so nothing really important to loose...

well, time to switch computer OFF, and get back to WORK :lol:

cheers

aisling

Post by aisling » Mon May 14, 2012 1:39 pm

supamonsta wrote:hey :D

Fact is I feel stuck. Not creatively speaking (even if I barely compose at home these times), but in terms of inner phase. I mean, I wake up every morning with a kind of inner angst / frustration / despair. I'm not really me I guess, sticking to the multiple choices I made or advices I followed since I'm a child... And I'd like to be the really me again (I hope I was the really me when a child, before the life made me stick to some premade paths...)

I need a fucking change, not celebrity. I need to be living something I really choosed, and have the feeling that my present life is made of so few real choices... just following the straight path that is in front of me, regular, comforty, in which music is just a hobby.

Music being a hobby is a good thing, don't misunderstand me, but I feel I need more.

These are the psychological aspects I'd like to discuss with you dear abletonians.

cheers
Not to get all psychoanalytical up on yo azz, but one thing I have learned on my time here on earth is that where ever you go....your still there....that said, I have done some drastic geographical moves in my day, drastic social group changes, drastic career moves, even drastic music changes only to find the same old "me", but in a new setting. JUst like the shiny new toy that looses luster after a while, so does the "changes".
Some of the best "change" comes from finding "inner peace" in your current state of reality, then implementing physical changes. Basically, change comes from within.

The wording of your post as I "understand it", leads me as a healthcare "professional," to suggest that you might benefit from talking to a real person and getting some objective feedback in a one on one counseling setting....
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon May 14, 2012 1:50 pm

aisling wrote:...one thing I have learned on my time here on earth is that where ever you go....you're still there........

truth.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon May 14, 2012 2:26 pm

Well, I do more the production side of things for living than just pure writing, but I guess I've made the same decision you're talking about.

Was it worth it? Usually yes.

I think in general it really didn't change much for me in terms of inspiration or happiness in the long run. At first it was empowering and exciting, and the possibilities in front of me led to some initial bouts of creativity. But after time, it ends up still being a job. I love it, and I'm incredibly lucky to do what I do, but it took WAY more work and perseverance than any 'normal' job I've had. Stress (angst, frustration) levels have definitely been higher, and over time I've gotten to the point where at the end of a long day working on other people's music, I'm not often in the mood to work on my own.

Not saying it's still not all totally worth it, just that often I see people in your position who think that making a huge leap to doing music full-time is going to radically change their outlook on life. In my experience and in talking to my peers, that's rarely the case. Creative freedom like that comes with it's own set of stresses and challenges. As long as you're prepared for that and aren't expecting things to be radically different than they are now, by all means take the chance while you can.

Linear Phase

Post by Linear Phase » Mon May 14, 2012 2:28 pm

If we are not talking about making money from music.. Than I can say, "I've done this." I've traveled around, survived on my wits, and pretty much played music from my late teens, till my early thirties. Now.. I'm still playing music. But.. I'm also starting various businesses.

The last place I found myself.. And aisling is right! Wherever you go, you find you..

The last place I found myself was in a small city in eastern washington state. a town ruined by meth, and crack. a town where I drove taxis on the nightshift. See, the thing about music on Earth is: Go ahead and play it, but be prepared to wind up broke or rich. Cause there aint no inbetweens.

Wow.. I've got some wild taxi stories too. ---- Hey, from taxi, I bought this beautiful carvin guitar.. and i learned a lot about running businesses

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My hands are really shakey huh? Yeah.. I had a nervous breakdown in my late teens.. still not, "recovered." ha, that is what it is. that's why I love music. See.. I thought we were talking about making money from music.. but I don't think that is what the op meant. the question is, "has anybody just played music, for music, and did 100%." That's a pretty cool question. my answer is a definite yes...

Linear Phase

Post by Linear Phase » Mon May 14, 2012 2:32 pm

In other news... Medical marijuana is legal in washington state. omg, f!ck yeah! and its not legal here in Florida, which kicks kills me.. cause i need my high grade medical pot... or.. um.. i go blinder

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon May 14, 2012 2:37 pm

There's 14 stores now within one mile of my studio where you can just walk in and buy it if you have a prescription card. Very weird to see that.

Linear Phase

Post by Linear Phase » Mon May 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Tarekith wrote:There's 14 stores now within one mile of my studio where you can just walk in and buy it if you have a prescription card. Very weird to see that.
yah dude...

edit.. actually... erm... edit

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon May 14, 2012 4:11 pm

Tarekith wrote:There's 14 stores now within one mile of my studio where you can just walk in and buy it if you have a prescription card. Very weird to see that.
what do they do to you if you grow your own?