Saw Bass tips please!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
theviewer1985

Saw Bass tips please!

Post by theviewer1985 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:04 am

Hey guys

Even though in simple form, a droning saw bassline is probably the easiest, i always find it hard to make it powerful and clean like certain techno tunes.

For example: http://youtu.be/lEuvaDJmoLQ

How would one go about this bassline? To me is sounds not very wide, and pretty damn crisp, with a bit of modulation movement going on

Or i guess more importantly to me, this one: http://youtu.be/8kmjy1E3IS8

Its more important, as its more versatile so would be a great patch to add to my collection. To me it sounds wider and more detuned. Really filthy, but it remains crisp and clear

I assume there is a few EQ dips in these droning basslines too. Around 200 and 400 maybe...?

Aside from this, would you think the bass and drums were heavily compressed together in one bus?

kev herb

Re: Saw Bass tips please!

Post by kev herb » Mon May 21, 2012 1:00 pm

They are both what is called a 'Reese Bass' which is traditionally 2 saw oscs detuned from each (id recommend the ocs are set to restart their phase for most bass sounds) other played down low with a low pass filter applied and enveloped/modulated to taste. as for after effects id say overdrive of some sort. for eq select any bell filter turn the Q up high and boost the frequency all the way up and then slowly sweep it across all frequencies and at some point a horrible screech will jump out the speakers (you cant miss it) thats the frequency you need to bring down a few db. widen the Q a bit and compress with fast settings and high ratio (4:1 upwards) just to keep all notes at even power not to squash.

hope this gets you going the rest im afraid is down to you ;)
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

theviewer1985

Post by theviewer1985 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:16 pm

kev herb wrote:They are both what is called a 'Reese Bass' which is traditionally 2 saw oscs detuned from each (id recommend the ocs are set to restart their phase for most bass sounds) other played down low with a low pass filter applied and enveloped/modulated to taste. as for after effects id say overdrive of some sort. for eq select any bell filter turn the Q up high and boost the frequency all the way up and then slowly sweep it across all frequencies and at some point a horrible screech will jump out the speakers (you cant miss it) thats the frequency you need to bring down a few db. widen the Q a bit and compress with fast settings and high ratio (4:1 upwards) just to keep all notes at even power not to squash.

hope this gets you going the rest im afraid is down to you ;)

Great thanks. Yes some good tips here

I would like to ask you some more specific questions too, I know there are no rules... but just as general rule of thumb:

1. With your method, It would be wise to cut the sub out and have a separate sub layer, but would you usually have a third layer, higher up in the frequency also?

2. Would you add much width on the detuned bassline?

3. Would there be any reverb?

4. How many voices on each OSC is good starting point?

Thanks

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Mon May 21, 2012 1:56 pm

well this kind of is the polishing aspect of the sound which is difficult to give any one piece of advise as there are so many variables such as the surrounding tune and of course different flavors of reese base.

1. you could very well do that if it sounds good. you could create a rack with 3 chains, each chain with a multiband comp with a different band soloed so you now can have effects of your choice for each of the 3 bands... maybe use utility to compleatly mono the sub bass band, overdrive or bitcrush the mids and widen/enhance the highs or anything that makes the sound sweeter to your ears.

2. maybe but keep checking in mono that your not phase cancelling anything you want to keep. best do widening on the upper frequencies as above and keep low sounds in the center thats where the power is.

3.again maybe. most likely fed to the main room verb send which should be low cut to keep those long bass waves in phase. or inset a reverb on one of the upper chains as in answer 1.

4. up to you as to what sort of reese you think will fit the tune. 1 voice each and the sound will be tighter and more focused. add loads and it will be huge but more phasy. start with 1 each and increase the voicing till you got what you want.

like i said its difficult to give any one answer to "polishing" questions as each case is different.
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

QUANCE

Post by QUANCE » Wed May 30, 2012 9:49 pm

do you guys know of any good links for tutorials on this subject?

(sometimes being this new to the game just reading it on the forum is a little over my head)
thanks